Thread: Locking up rafts

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Locking up rafts

I've been wondering for a few months now - does anyone lock their raft to their trailer to prevent theft? Anyone have any method they think works better than another?

I'll be rolling the raft up in the garage today, but I sure like to keep it trailered all summer.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I've been wondering for a few months now - does anyone lock their raft to their trailer to prevent theft? Anyone have any method they think works better than another?

I'll be rolling the raft up in the garage today, but I sure like to keep it trailered all summer.
    Hello Scott,

Your not going sledding (tubing) or freighting firewood behind the snowmobile?

Believe it or not one of my 15' SOTARs went out for rental on the Middle Kenai River. Six young Army guys stationed in Anchorage on river for veterans day weekend... good on 'em - good group of guys!!!

More to the point on your very good question:

Importantly... is your trailer or whatever you lock the boat to at home or in the filed reasonably secure?

Then I'd ask what kind of boat (make and model) do you plan on securing? I have some good techniques and strategies to discourage theft on inflatables. PM this info and I'll get back to ya... let's not make it any easier on thieves.

Brian, PM on it's way. I'm the kind of guy who feels a little uneasy leaving my raft trailered in the parking lot of the grocery store while I grab snacks for a float.

Now that all my boats look like old derelicts I don't bother much with security, but I have in the past. I would wrap a chain around a tube, through a self bailing hole and then padlock it to something on the trailer. I don't think D-rings are very secure, since they are easily replaced, but sometimes on a cat that's the best you can do. Although even then I would still go around the tube and through a couple D-rings.

Plenty of people pack bolt cutters in their trucks for legitimate and non-legitimate reasons, so chain is not all that secure anyway. But most of the time all you have to do is make theft difficult.

I use a 3/8" stainless cable with swedged eyes wrapped around the frame and pontoons. It is pretty hard to cut stainless cable with a pair of bolt cutters.

Default Don't forget the seats!

If you're running those Tempress Fish-On seats, don't forget to pop them off their base plates whenever the boat will be left unattended for a while. More than one fisherman parked his trailered raft at the Carr's on Huffman just before leaving town to fish the Kenai, and came out and discovered that some thief stole the seats right off his boat. I take mine off and leave them in the back seat of the truck.

Same goes for boats parked in the driveway.

As to locking the boat itself, I run a heavy chain around the axle and around a tree. I also lock the hitch so it cannot be operated.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Locking up rafts is a very good idea. A few days ago, Nov. 9th or 10th a person or persons stole my outcast pac 1100 from my back yard. They cut the buckle straps, took the pontoons and frame including the garden wagon it was sitting on. The raft has my AK numbers painted on the side of both pontoons: AK 6767 AL. I am offering a reward for information leading to the recovery of the raft and the arrest of the individuals responsible for STEALING it.

All else fails, insurance may be your best bet. I don't carry insurance on my rafts anymore, but from what I remember it was pretty reasonable when I did. Occasionally I look at all my keys and think of all the different locks I have for everything, and kills me to think of all the money we spend to lock every d@mn thing up that we have to try and keep some scumbag from taking it.

Make sure you lock the trailer to the truck as well. More than a few sleds and ATV's have left a parking lot behind someone elses truck. I also use a large tongue lock that wraps around the ball socket on my boat when parked. Not saying that it can't be stolen but you will certainly have to work for it. To step it up a bit more replace the bolts/nuts that hold on the hitch coupler to the trailer with some that are theft deterrent.

I got one of these http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-84...9841972&sr=8-5 with a 30-foot cable, and use it to lock the raft to the trailer. Particularly when I leave it inflated on the trailer in the driveway all summer along with hitch & ball locks on the tongue.

Sent reply by PM Scott. My recommended set-up will be ideal for your raft and trailer.

Brian, thanks for the suggestions. I'll go that route, and buy another gun

Fishinpoppie, sorry to hear about the theft. I had a bike stolen when I was in NY going to school, it was even locked up with a cable like most of these guys have suggested. I get lulled into a sense of complacency thinking theft is minimal in the valley because people are honest (or because everyone is armed ).

AKtroutbum, I think locks are a lot cheaper than a deductible, but insurance is good too. Can you get regular boat insurance on a raft - I figure homeowners isn't going to cover theft if you're not on your property?

Thumbs up

Yep - for certain... lol

The coated cable brand I suggested for your boat and how to rig it will work perfectly.

The trailer coupler or the wheel system I recommended is a fix for all the week links - like what to secure it to... this way your raft trailer and boat can be independent of other objects around.

This is an option on all our rental boat and trailer combos - very effective and easy all-weather system. As Mike suggested tho'... keep in mind - it's stuff like oars and accessories that can be gone in 60 seconds.