Thread: Fairbanks Management Area

Default Fairbanks Management Area

Hoping someone could give me some insight on hunting areas and stalking in the FMA. I have hunted 7 full days and have only seen one cow in those 7 days. The attempted stalk on her was a bust. Also, are there any pointers out there for silencing your boot noise in the snow?

I did not think FMA was open for bowhunting until 21 Nov?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akjblizzard View Post
    I did not think FMA was open for bowhunting until 21 Nov?
    welp, the antlerless tag is good till the 20th,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by wjohnson View Post
    Hoping someone could give me some insight on hunting areas and stalking in the FMA. I have hunted 7 full days and have only seen one cow in those 7 days. The attempted stalk on her was a bust. Also, are there any pointers out there for silencing your boot noise in the snow?
    The last time I hunted up there (2007), it took me I think 13 full days of hunting to fill my anterless permit. This was spread over about a month of time (maybe more) and three separate trips. The first two trips, I think I saw one legal animal and it was a cow with a calf that I wasn't really that interested in chasing even though they said it was technically legal to take a cow with a calf. The last trip was a longer trip and I was finally finding a few animals, but mostly at long distances. I tried just about every trick in the book. Mountain biking, hiking, skiing (all on the same trail within a few day span due to thin snow cover). I spent most of my time getting out to a prosective area before light and sitting until I was too cold to get a clean shot off if I had one. I would then relocate (good chance to warm up by hiking around) and repeat until dark. I had a couple of stalks that didn't go my way, but mostly because I didn't tempt fate trying to cross a frozen pond. I was finally successful after finding a cow while driving to another location and eating lunch. Who knew. All that work and I ended up getting one I could drive to within 20' of where it fell. It did take me about an hour of fakes and abbreviated stalks to finally get her since she knew full well I was around. I think the 20 minutes of standing dead still while she stared at me when she caught me out in the open was the hardest. I think I finally convinced her I wasn't there or at least wasn't a threat and she decided to continue on to where she was going, which lucky for me was somewhere behind me.

It's hard to say what one method would be better than another. My approach was to cover a lot of territory with my eyes if not on foot and then focus my efforts in spots that appeared more likely for the morning/evening spotting locations.

Were you out hunting this past Saturday? I think I may have drove by you as you were leaving your truck to chase a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    welp, the antlerless tag is good till the 20th,
    I think it is good until Nov. 27th this year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I think it is good until Nov. 27th this year.
    i think MINE expires midnight on the 20th

and the bull season starts after till the 27th...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i think MINE expires midnight on the 20th

and the bull season starts after till the 27th...
    According to the hunting regs, DM786/DM788 (antlerless - archery) seasons are from September 1 - November 27. I don't see any archery hunts that end on the 20th or any that start on the 27th. The regular harvest ticket archery hunt runs from November 21-27, overlapping the last week of the permit hunt.

They could have modified things with regards to your specific permit/hunt since it is more recent than the regs. I am just looking at what is published in the hunting regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    According to the hunting regs, DM786/DM788 (antlerless - archery) seasons are from September 1 - November 27. I don't see any archery hunts that end on the 20th or any that start on the 27th. The regular harvest ticket archery hunt runs from November 21-27, overlapping the last week of the permit hunt.

They could have modified things with regards to your specific permit/hunt since it is more recent than the regs. I am just looking at what is published in the hunting regulations.
    i'll have to go look at my permit again... would be cool to have an extra 7 days to not hunt mine LOL! but i am sure it ends the 20th

we are all meated up... so unless someone has one standing in their yard they want to eat... i am not putting any effort into filling it.

meet on face book here

My cow tag is good until the 27th.

I was out Saturday and Sunday, but no moose sightings on Saturday. I was up high glassing on Sunday and did see 5. I decided to stalk the closest one that was by itself. 105 yards was as close as I got though. With work the way it is right now I may be able to get back out this Friday, but it's looking like next Wed. is my last day to be able to chase the moose this year.

I was out Saturday and Sunday, but no moose sightings on Saturday. I was up high glassing on Sunday and did see 5. I decided to stalk the closest one that was by itself. 105 yards was as close as I got though. With work the way it is right now I may be able to get back out this Friday, but it's looking like next Wed. is my last day to be able to chase the moose this year.
    The couple I tried to stalk from a distance wouldn't let me anywhere closer than about 150 yards. My game plan was to find one and figure out which way it was likely headed and then exit the other way and circle way around and wait for them, hoping they would continue on thier path. Didn't work necessarily, but worth a try.

man your correct. i nearly short changed myself... got home and looked SHO NUF! 11/27 so i do get one more week of threating the missus i need to go hunting again LOL. ... maybe i will go deer hunting instead while in cordova ... hmmm

meet on face book here

Oh and thank you anchskier. I like the sit and wait idea. I have put in about 10 full days so far myself. The conditions around Fbks NP for most of those days has been sunny and no wind. Seems like the noise travels forever on those days with the snow underfoot.

It's funny how skittish the moose are up there. I was coyote hunting around Delta and walked to within 40 yards of a ~40 inch bull with two other small guys. They just stood there and watched me go out of sight. :/

Default Quit sneaking around

Act like a tourist. Gawk. Take photos. Walk in circles. Meander. Don't look them in the eye. You think I'm kidding, just think about it. Most folks that are not hunting act a certain way. Hunters act another. Either figure out how to act like a non-hunter, or, act, sound, and smell like a moose.
    I've taken my own advise and scored a young bull years back. He knew I was there, watched me park, get out of the truck, and start to walk. He wandered off slowly, and I followed the same way. I stayed out of his track, pretty much out of sight, off to the side. After a bit I started calling very softly. He came right back and stood 20 yards away.
    Chances are you won't beat their defenses unless you are standing still and they come to you. So figure out how to fool them. Those moose in Delta, were you hunting them or just passing through?

Next week anyone seeing any moose moving? I have seen 2 cows off Frontage Road.

Seems to be a wierd year. I drive back n forth to N Pole or Eielson every day and see moose sporadically. Last year, almost everyday I'd see some from the Badger Road overpass at Ft WW or in the fields north of the Rich (usually cows with a calf or two).

Tough part is seeing a moose with horns . . . much less being close enough with a bow.

nice and warm to hunt but road conditions really suck

I was out yesterday didnt see a thing