Thread: Newbie looking for freshwater fishing info

Default Newbie looking for freshwater fishing info

Hi All: We are headed to Alaska next summer (July-Sept). Obviously interested in freshwater fishing. We fish both bait casting as well as fly (much prefer fly.) Plan to miss the king salmon runs (and the crowds?), focusing on silver? We also want to fish for Trout and Dolly Vardin. Will be spending the last half of August and first half of Sept in the Kenai area. A couple of questions:
    1. Anyone know anything about a guide named Reubin Payne with widespreadfishing.com?
    2. Given that we have our own transportation (truck camper), any specific rivers/streams we should concentrate on?
    Since we are new to Alaska, any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea about the guide. Perhaps another forum member has more to share. Sorry.

The Kenai and Russian Rivers are always good to check out. Especially since some areas of both are Fly Fishing Only. Lots of nice fish in both rivers (salmon, trout, dollies). The sockeye (red) salmon will arrive in July, and the coho (silvers) will show up in Aug/Sept. so you should be in prime fishing season during your trip. Both rivers have ample camping opportunities. Both rivers also have LOTS of other anglers too! Think of fishing within peeing distance of your fellow anglers here! Despite the # of anglers, I have found many AK anglers to be quite helpful on the river. Heck, even ask some folks who have a full stringer what type of fly/color/weight/leader they have been using and they'll share their secrets. Of course a cold one never hurts that scenario either!

Read the ADF&G regulations carefully, as the laws are different for many rivers and locations. Some areas, including parts of the Russian and Kenai, are Fly Fishing Only.

You may want to hit the big water (ocean) in places like Homer and Seward for some fishing too. Kachemak Bay (Homer) and Resurrection Bay (Seward) offer great fishing. Halibut, Lingcod, Rockfish, and several species of salmon are available here. It may be useful to charter a boat for the big water fishing, or try to find a forum member to take you out too. Many times folks on here will post they have openings on their boat, which you could land a spot on if you pay for boat gas or supply adult beverages!

Some resources you could check out are:
    http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Repo...lerreport.html (great log of fishing from around the state)
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/index.cfm (Regulations, lake maps, and run timing information)

Hope this helps!

Buy the following books...

Gunnar Pederson and Rene Liemeres "Fishing Alaska"

Gunnar Pederson "Fishing Alaska's Kenai River"

Scott Haugen "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska"

Troy Letherman and Tony Weaver "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska.."

Most if not all can be found on the forum store. Go to the store here and select the fishing section.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

danattherock and fuel e fishin sea, thanks for the info I will follow up on each of your suggestions.

Sorry Im late on this one.

I did my newbie trip in a truck camper last year. Had a good time. Last week of July and Early August. Lots of pinks along the road system and a few silvers. Pederson has a book specific to the road system amd so does Rosenberg. Get both. If I had it to do over again I would go later into August to avoid the pinks and get more silvers.

Anyway, I had a blast at Willow Creek but so did lots of other folks. Combat fishing at the confluence. Explore upstream into the Rec area. Nailed a ton of pinks at Hope (Ressurrection Creek) but that was an even year. I hear there may be some silvers there in August. I had a blast on the Anchor River with Dollies and some early silvers. Fish early as you can (daybreak) as it gets busy quick. Drive down to the mouth when the tide is coming in and work your way up. Watch the tall grass.....never know whats in there. Drive back up to the slide hole (look for the signs) for dollies and salmon. Deep creek was so packed I left. Not with fish either. I found Bird Creek to be pointless. Way more people than fish. Fish the shore at Seward if the Silvers are close in. Dollies too. Lil Su is wadeable but most fish seemed to come of the guided boats. Look into it. Pretty good boardwalk there for shore casting. (Burma rd landing).

Just because the book says there should be fish in a certain spot that doesn't mean there will be when you happen to show up. Look for the crowds and you will find fish. Explore other areas. You may be the first to find them.

Have a blast either way. Minimize your driving. It goes slow and costs much up there. Good Luck.

Gunar Pederson's "Alaska Roadside Angler" is also a book worth considering. I believe this years publication is the latest edition. Having said that, Gunar lives in Alaska year round and he and his wife fish extensively in the areas he writes about. You should be able to order it on Amazon. Cooper Landing is a great base camp location with the Russian River and the Kenai. There are also several really good lakes in the area with camp sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai Cache Outfitters View Post
    Gunar Pederson's "Alaska Roadside Angler" is also a book worth considering. I believe this years publication is the latest edition. Having said that, Gunar lives in Alaska year round and he and his wife fish extensively in the areas he writes about. You should be able to order it on Amazon. Cooper Landing is a great base camp location with the Russian River and the Kenai. There are also several really good lakes in the area with camp sites.
    I agree. Great book. I have the older one. Huge help.

Hey Guys:
    Again, many thanks for the info. We really appreciate it and are looking forward to our trip this summer.

Harold and Meriam

Good thread... My wife and I are planning a trip in late September / early October. Will the rivers / lakes still be "fishable" that time of year? What would be the fresh water fish to focus on during this time?

Quote Originally Posted by G3_Guy View Post
    Good thread... My wife and I are planning a trip in late September / early October. Will the rivers / lakes still be "fishable" that time of year? What would be the fresh water fish to focus on during this time?

You should be in good timing to nail some Rainbows. I'm sure you can also find some places to catch Silvers, but they may be pretty spawned out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by G3_Guy View Post
    There's still good Rainbow and Silver action on the Kenai. You will find silver fish in the Kenai still.