Thread: After the catch

Back on da Rock!

Default After the catch

I see a lot of posts about how to trap, how set this and that etc...

Not too many for after the catch.

I just put out my first set for this year (season didn't open until the 10th), and I am trying to figure out the best way to "deal" with the catch.

I've set mainly for fox. The plan is to get a bunch together to either send out as gifts or sell to people I know. I figured out as much as skinning them... What next? Do you salt and dry them? Dry them? Freeze? Flesh, salt, and dry?, go straight to tanning? (I should be doing myself)

How do you stockpile a bunch of furs to send out at once for tanning?

What about unusual circumstances? Say, you can't do the normal routine. Whats your back-up plan?

Well fox won't have a whole lot fat on them but it is crucial to get it all off before you put the critter up on a board for stretching. Once its one the board, salt will help absord some liquids and fat, bringing it to the surface where you can blot it off with a rag or paper towel. If you fail to remove fat the hair on the critter with slip during the tanning process, coming out like a bald lab rat. It turns out that this is NOT a desirable product to hang on the wall, let alone market to a fur buyer. I generally trap Marten, which have little to no fat on them so fleshing is not much of a chore. I have caught a several otters and quite a few beaver, these animals are a chore to flesh and its detrimental if not done properly. I'm sure some of the big fox trappers on the forum can provide you with more details but the bottom line is if you see fat, remove it!

Hope this helped a little,

Interior AK

ADF&G also has a pretty informative vieo you can buy from them pretty cheap.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

There is NO need to salt a fox, or any small furbearer. Matter of fact, it screws up the tanning process. Like Dan said, it can be used to help dry up wet areas (ear butts, armpits, feet) if needed. I rarely need to use it and if I do, I use alum instead.

Air dried fur in, stretched on a properly sized stretcher till the hide gets just drier than "tacky", then turn it fur out on the board to finish drying. Then it is done. It will keep for a long time like that as long as you keep it in a dry, cool place. I send most of my fur in the spring to Moyles tannery.

Look at the Furharvesters or Nafa website and you can find great info on proper pelt handling.

Basically what akwarthog said.

Fur Harvesters has a great manual on handling hides/pelts. Here is a link to the pdf (4MB so takes a minute to load). Will answer a lot of your questions (hopefully).

There website is here. Lots of other good info there.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.