Thread: What WT rod for Reds

Default What WT rod for Reds

Well i know what kind of rod i am going to buy but now have to decide what WT to get for fishing reds on the Kenai. What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I would suggest an 8wt.
    Definitely, at least a 7wt.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

My buddy had a 7wt and he got his but handed to him. Will a 7wt in a Loomis be the same as a 7wt in a Lamiglass?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    My buddy had a 7wt and he got his but handed to him. Will a 7wt in a Loomis be the same as a 7wt in a Lamiglass?
    Hmm...I think its all in the angler. I was bringing in Huge 2nd run Sockeye on the middle last summer with my 7wt. My buddy also caught a bunch using an 8wt Lamiglass Freddies Special and was doing just fine. I almost prefer to use the cheaper rod because all your doing is flipping, not much skill involved. That's just my opinion, have a good drag on your reel and you are set.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I agree with Bigcox. It is better to buy a cheaper rod if you are just using it for flipping for reds. I prefer an 8wt for reds on the kenai because of how quickly they can get into fast moving water. If you are flipping on the russian you could definately get away with a 7wt. (I even know someone who perfers a 5wt, but I wouldn't go there). Don't buy a Loomis unless you plan on using the rod for silvers and chucking big flies like dolly llamas, it's not worth the money. I think Trustworthy in Soldotna was selling Lamiglas 8wt's with a fighting butt for around $60-$80.

I got a 8wt rod and reel spooled with 25# mono at Trustworthy for somewhere around $75 a few years back. They run weekly specials and usually drop all their rod prices around end August by about 20%. Love that store. The quality of what they sell is "fit for purpose", but usually won't make it to heirloom.
    Terry

Trustworthy is definitely the place to go. I bought a St. Croix 8wt on sale for $80 and it was in the 1/2 off rack so they gave it to me for $40! Definitely go with a decent 8wt, but I had a buddy turn me on to an Sage 7wt that was just out of this world on Reds! As BC said, it really depends on the experience of the angler, but you just can't go wrong with a decent 8wt.

You can land a big red with 5 wt. or 6 wt. The issue is if you have time or space. Also if you have it foul hooked. If you are fishing a crowded area the heavier the better. 8 wt. on the Russian should be sufficient. Nobody likes a guy with 150 yards of line out at the mouth of the Russian.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	telephone_pole1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	42157

Since we are yet again on the "what WT for reds" question........
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	telephone_pole1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	42157

Since we are yet again on the "what WT for reds" question........
    That's the problem with bait-chuckers - they have no respect for intellectual property.

a lot depends of the person who is holding the rod, where you are fishing, [how fast the river is], but if all you are doing is flipping
    then go for the 8 WT or a 9 WT, your rod will last you a lot longer for the wear an tear on it, an you won't you will be chaseing the fish down stream try to hold it back if you go with a smaller weight rod, when you hook a fish an can't control it, the people around you will not be happy camper
    most of the big box stores have a fly rod, reel, with line, as a package that is not to costly an you can have a ball with it, the outfit will cost you about $100, an you can pick up some sales an come out at a lower cost SID

I just ordered a few fly rod kits that i am going to put together this winter. I ordered a 9wt and a 10wt. Where we fish the Kenai is moving pretty fast. My buddy i brought up with me had a hard time with his 7wt. It should be fun to put them together this winter! I got a few Batson Rainshadow kits. For the price i thought well i might just as well do a few!

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    That's the problem with bait-chuckers - they have no respect for intellectual property.
    This is a heavy statement..
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

I'm building a 12wt for kings in the Valley & reds anywhere on the Kenai.

so could you safely say that a fenwick HMG 8 wt would do the trick, i picked it up from my uncle and he has held onto it for almost a decade without even using it, lets just say it was a screeming deal...i heard it was more streamline for steelhead tho.

im with the mass get a 7 or 8wt. i prefer a 5/6wt but have used 3/4wt before and landed some fish.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Whatever you decide, make sure it has a fighting butt. makes for a more enjoyable day...

Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    I'm building a 12wt for kings in the Valley & reds anywhere on the Kenai.
    12 wt is way overkill for kings, even in Kenai. I have seen kings in the 40-50# range landed with 8 wts, and occasionally with a 7wt. I would say, if your building a rod for kings and other salmon, no more than a 10 wt.

I think Boondocks in Eagle River still has a smok'n deal on some St Croix 9 wt's, they are on closeout under $150.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge