Thread: Bait, bait, bait

Default Bait, bait, bait

So I'm addicted to predator hunting... My last few trips to ft. rich were extremely exciting and i learned alot; but something has yet to slip my mind... Bait.
    Would it be reasonable to put some kind of food out, and sit back and wait for predators to come? If so, what kind of food would you put out there? (Salmon, jerky, cheese? lol)
    I'm coming to love this forum, there are so many people willing to help me learn and become a better hunter- thank you all.

-gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary808 View Post
    So I'm addicted to predator hunting... My last few trips to ft. rich were extremely exciting and i learned alot; but something has yet to slip my mind... Bait.
    Would it be reasonable to put some kind of food out, and sit back and wait for predators to come? If so, what kind of food would you put out there? (Salmon, jerky, cheese? lol)
    I'm coming to love this forum, there are so many people willing to help me learn and become a better hunter- thank you all.

-gary
    It is not too effective to bait and wait. But it is effective to keep a given location baited and hunt it regularly. Bait keeps critters of all sorts around. Like a pull off along a highway, where folks throw out trash, clean game etc, always predators hanging around those spots or very nearby. Wire it down, so it can't be carried off easily. Scraps, chickens, bones, etc.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

ah i see... i will for sure leave some food stockpile around so i can come back around in the future

Be careful though, up here there are areas where it is illegal to bait unless you are taking game under a trapping license. Also you cannot use several items for bait such as and meat off a game animal that is required to be salvaged. Or fish taken under a sport fishing license or dip-netting personal use permit. You can however use any store-bought meat or fish.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Quote Originally Posted by AKPyron View Post
    Be careful though, up here there are areas where it is illegal to bait unless you are taking game under a trapping license. Also you cannot use several items for bait such as and meat off a game animal that is required to be salvaged. Or fish taken under a sport fishing license or dip-netting personal use permit. You can however use any store-bought meat or fish.
    Good Call. Reminder that everyone should have a Combo License, increases your opportunities ten fold.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'll secound the combo licence, I got mine for hunting marmot but soon discovered it opened up far more hunting opertunites.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

You cannot bait unless you are trapping and you cannot trap on Ft. Rich. So no stockpiles of food.