Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Bait, bait, bait

  1. #1

    Default Bait, bait, bait

    So I'm addicted to predator hunting... My last few trips to ft. rich were extremely exciting and i learned alot; but something has yet to slip my mind... Bait.
    Would it be reasonable to put some kind of food out, and sit back and wait for predators to come? If so, what kind of food would you put out there? (Salmon, jerky, cheese? lol)
    I'm coming to love this forum, there are so many people willing to help me learn and become a better hunter- thank you all.

    -gary

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary808 View Post
    So I'm addicted to predator hunting... My last few trips to ft. rich were extremely exciting and i learned alot; but something has yet to slip my mind... Bait.
    Would it be reasonable to put some kind of food out, and sit back and wait for predators to come? If so, what kind of food would you put out there? (Salmon, jerky, cheese? lol)
    I'm coming to love this forum, there are so many people willing to help me learn and become a better hunter- thank you all.

    -gary
    It is not too effective to bait and wait. But it is effective to keep a given location baited and hunt it regularly. Bait keeps critters of all sorts around. Like a pull off along a highway, where folks throw out trash, clean game etc, always predators hanging around those spots or very nearby. Wire it down, so it can't be carried off easily. Scraps, chickens, bones, etc.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    ah i see... i will for sure leave some food stockpile around so i can come back around in the future

  4. #4
    Member AKPyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Interior AK
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Be careful though, up here there are areas where it is illegal to bait unless you are taking game under a trapping license. Also you cannot use several items for bait such as and meat off a game animal that is required to be salvaged. Or fish taken under a sport fishing license or dip-netting personal use permit. You can however use any store-bought meat or fish.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKPyron View Post
    Be careful though, up here there are areas where it is illegal to bait unless you are taking game under a trapping license. Also you cannot use several items for bait such as and meat off a game animal that is required to be salvaged. Or fish taken under a sport fishing license or dip-netting personal use permit. You can however use any store-bought meat or fish.
    Good Call. Reminder that everyone should have a Combo License, increases your opportunities ten fold.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member Rick P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    I'll secound the combo licence, I got mine for hunting marmot but soon discovered it opened up far more hunting opertunites.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Ak
    Posts
    31

    Default

    You cannot bait unless you are trapping and you cannot trap on Ft. Rich. So no stockpiles of food.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •