Thread: Point Spencer / Port Clarence. Anyone been out there much?

Default Point Spencer / Port Clarence. Anyone been out there much?

There used to be an Air Force Base on Point Spencer. I think it was the same spot the the Coast Guard later put there Port Clarence LORAN station.
    The Air Force Base was closed in 1948. My dad blew up the runways just as he and his crew made good their escape in a C-46 whale. On skis no less...
    He still has the some photos of them getting ready to blow up the runway and some of them destroying the buildings and equipment. Plus a couple of the runway going up , that they took from the air... It was the cold war and somebody thought the Russians would be using it...

Anyway, has anyone here spent any time out there? Were there any ruins of the old base?
    Just curious...

My dad used to fly to some odd places for Uncle Sam back then... Including "weather flights" over the pole in a converted B-29.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Summer 09 there wasn't much but a couple buildings and that monstrous tower which is gone now. I think there was runway still. Several old strips up there. I bet that was a hell of a place to be stationed.

I used to fly a little freight/mail out there, usually Fedex packages. +1 on the monstrous tower...the guy wires stretched out forever. I remember a couple of building being out there as well, but can't recall any ruins.

We had a discreet frequency to call and let them know we were coming in, no unannounced landing there. Coast Guard base but all black vehicles and everybody in civilian clothes, kind of different....

The Coast Guard must have just rebuilt on top of the old Air Force base site. The photos my dad has from wehn they were destroying the base shopw that it was mostly metal pierced plank, (Marston Mat) They had to pull up pieces of it in the middle of winter and then blast a little hole , so they could install enough explosives to trench the runway.
    He said that they drove the road graders and other heavy equipment out onto the ice and then blew the ice so it all fell through. Plus they burned some of the larger buildings for firewood while 8 of them camped out inside a tool shed that was buried under the snow.

He even has some interesting photos from the early 50s that show a bunch of B-47 bombers lined up next to the Nome runway...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The Coast Guard must have just rebuilt on top of the old Air Force base site. The photos my dad has from wehn they were destroying the base shopw that it was mostly metal pierced plank, (Marston Mat) They had to pull up pieces of it in the middle of winter and then blast a little hole , so they could install enough explosives to trench the runway.
    He said that they drove the road graders and other heavy equipment out onto the ice and then blew the ice so it all fell through. Plus they burned some of the larger buildings for firewood while 8 of them camped out inside a tool shed that was buried under the snow.

He even has some interesting photos from the early 50s that show a bunch of B-47 bombers lined up next to the Nome runway...
    Be nice if you could scan them in a post them. Be neat to see them.
    Tim