Thread: Looking for a Halibut Bine Receipe

Default Looking for a Halibut Bine Receipe

I am planning on smoking some salmon and halibut in the next couple of weeks. I was looking for a receipe for a brine for halibut. I have a pretty good one for the salmon but would not be opposed to suggestions. Thank you.

74 views and no one has a recipe they are willing to share?

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    74 views and no one has a recipe they are willing to share?
    At like 16 bucks a pound, who can afford to smoke it?

Seriously though, I've smoked a lot of fish, but never any halibut.

We smoked some Halibut this summer mainly so I can make an Alaskan version of Finnen Haddie. Its very tasty!

I used the same brine recipe I use for Salmon. Mainly its salt and brown sugar.

At like 16 bucks a pound, who can afford to smoke it?

Seriously though, I've smoked a lot of fish, but never any halibut.

I had a ton of opportunities to fish last year and I didn't do too bad this year also. The problem is that I was gone for over 6 months out of the year and didn't have the opportunity to eat much at home. The halibut I am looking to smoke is all over one year old and a little freezer burnt. I got a receipe from a friend for a smoked haibut and spinich dip. It is great. I am just concerned about the brine.

i smoked a bunch of halibut and salmon and use kosher salt and brown sugar. I have tried different recipes and seem to go back to the simple brine. Also try some halibut corn chowder using smoked halibut, Yummy.

Iam like Mike
    Iam 52 yr old and smoked a lot of fish I can put two kinds on the table and always the simple one will go first
    A sweet light smoked with ajust the righ amount of salt so they have a beer in one hand and fish in the outher
    and talk about last year the fish that got away or the moose they almost shot and it alwas comes up "back befor
    4 wheelers"
    Just keep it fun & safe and injoy yourself you wount go wrong

I've smoked alot of fish over the years, but never Halibut. I do like the brown suger mix of flavor on my salmon as do most, but I don't put it in the salt brine solution. I let the salmon fillets smoke a few hours and then sprinkle the sugar on top and allow to smoke until it's done.
    Basic salt brine is easy to make and remember, whats hard is deciding how long to brine different types of fish. Fattier fish like lake trout may need a bit more time to soak up the salt. Minn walleyes for example are very white and lean meat and will soak up salt like sponge in 6 hours. Laketrout and whitefish I have brined up to 24 hours if very fatty. Salmon soaks salt fairly fast, maybe 8 to 12 hours. Just alot of factors to concider.
    Brine is just, add salt to your water container until either an egg or potatoe floats. Always rinse the fish after brining and before smoking or it will be too salty.
    If I was gonna smoke Halibut, I would just go the salt brine for about 6 to 8 hours, depending on thickness and call it good. Halibut is much to good tasting by it's self to have to add any other flavoring to it in my opinion. But everyone is different on that.
    Good luck.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thanks for the advise! I am probably going to go with the salt only. Also smoked Halibut corn chowder sounds really good. I will definitely have to make some of that.

I don't think halibut was meant for smoking. The folks in the Old Testament were forbidden to even eat them at all because they were so toxic. Nope I'd cook halibut really well.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I don't think halibut was meant for smoking. The folks in the Old Testament were forbidden to even eat them at all because they were so toxic. Nope I'd cook halibut really well.
    Toxic or was that habit forming?............seems to have that effect on me..............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

i am in trouble then because I also eat halibut cevichi(lemon cooked) read that if its been froze then the possible worms will die. Eat smoked and cevichi quite a bit and haven't been sick yet.

LOL, that's why you only eat the chickens, give away the barn doors. LOL

Smoked Halibut taste great. I would recommend using about 1/2 the salt of what the brine recipe calls for in a Salmon brine. The first time my friend tried it we had to throw it out because the halibut took up all the salt.

If you want a good Halibut chowder here's mine:
    Cube 2-3 lbs of halibut and sauté with butter, garlic, ground pepper, don’t cook meat through, leave a little raw in the middle.
    Cube, 1 each, head of cauliflower and broccoli; Steam each till tender but not soft,
    In large pot add 1 quart whole milk and one can mushroom soup, warm and stir soup together,
    Add halibut and veggies cover, warm not letting milk boil stirring occasionally. Add another quart of milk depending on consistency of chowder desired.
    Serve hot with corn bread. Taste better the second day. Let me how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I've smoked alot of fish over the years, but never Halibut. I do like the brown suger mix of flavor on my salmon as do most, but I don't put it in the salt brine solution. I let the salmon fillets smoke a few hours and then sprinkle the sugar on top and allow to smoke until it's done.
    GrizzlyH
    I smoke my salmon almost the same way you do... Except.... I take some brown sugar and melt it in a small pan of hot water..
    then I baste it on the fish as they are smoking... No one has complained about the flavor yet... also this give the Smokee opportunity to run multi taste samples during the process... this process can also take a considerable quantity of Alaskan Amber to get the fish to exactly the right consistency/flavor..../John

LitoAk
    Have you checked with the University Extension office...??? When we first came back to the mainland I went to their office at UAA and picked up brochures on everything that remotely interested me... gardening, fishing, canning fish, smoking fish, etc., etc., etc.,
    They had some good info in those pamphlets.. one in particular about smoking salmon, even salting salmon,.... but I didn't look for anything on Halibut at that time - but it wouldn't hurt to check with them... Other than that, you may just have to experiment a little to get the right recipe that suits you.../John

snowman1979
    hope you don't mind if I borrow your chowder recipe.. looks really good... and at the last inventory, we have just enough halibut left in the freezer to make up one good batch of chowder... /John

Old John,

Not at all, forgot to mention the more butter and garlic the better With all the milk you may have to overdue the spices to get them to stick out a bit.