Thread: Predators within driving distance of Fairbanks

Default Predators within driving distance of Fairbanks

This is my first winter here and I'm wanting to go out calling this Saturday. I've called all over the lower 48 but this place is a little different. I know nobody is going ot tell me where there spot is, but I just don't want to sit and call in a place everyone knows doesn't hold anything. Are there problem coyote areas around? Can a guy expect to possibly see a wolf? Do these Lynx act like a Bobcat?

hey man.....i havnt done much calling...just a little...but if you drive down towards delta and hit the tanana river wherever you can....as well as the delta river......theres lots of canines....fox...coyote...MAYBE a wolf. also check out the country around donnelly creek past delta junction....u can get right out onto the delta river flats from the campground....not alot of people go there...but ive seen alot of coyote and fox there in the past....good luck.!!!!!!!!!!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

definitely go to donnelly flats area turn south on the glen in delta and stop when you get past the dome on you right And the training area, walk in a mile or so. There are so many darn yotes and fox there its silly, might even get a wolf. The rabbit pop there is insane!!! You can also head north up the steese till you get above the tree line and find fox like crazy this year and there are a lot of wolves up there we would love to see thinned out. I will be doing a fair amount of predator calling and hopefully killing this year since my kids each want there own fur blanket. Now all I need is about 40 pelts. On that note if anybody in the area wants to call preds but doesn't really want to deal with the pelts or skinning and such I will take them ( I know slim chance but it doesn't hurt to ask, I need alot for my youngsters and Christmas is a coming :-) ) Any way anywhere around town above the trees or near the rivers is good for fox.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Default No freaken way!

Wow. Unbelievable. Since when is it cool to give out hunting or fishing spots in such a manner? I hope these spots are wild goose chases. Even though I don't give two rips about calling wolves, coyotes or lynxes that is uncool telling people where to go. Why don't you post your moose spots too, I'm interested in that. Lazy people asking where to go is bad enough but then people tell them where to go. Let the ones who are new learn the hard way like all the people before them. Let them do some work. May all your favorite hunting spots be overrun.
    Henry Bowman for President

well mr. deer hunter....i was only trying to help a guy out...maybe some day he can return the favor. its not like i was telling him where to go hunt someone elses moose camp...or someones secret good fishing hole...but only a general area in which i have seen and killed fox and yotes in the past. its a huge area...
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

There is no harm in giving general advice like that. That's still VERY open area. Now if he had said, drive ## of miles, turn right on #$%^ road, drive 2 more miles... stop... walk in 1/2 mile, sit down and start calling, you will see something. That's a different story and I would understand your concern. The info these fine folks gave was generic in nature and vague enough that its no secret. He probably could get the same info from adfg. Carry on with helping out fellas. That is what this forum is for, to help another comrade out.

the areas given were large( try thousands of square miles) and no ones secret spots, they are areas that need thinning, and predator hunting is not a sport with large numbers of hunters. wolves especially need thinning, and if i THOUGHT I COULD THIN THEM OUT I WOULD HAPPILY GIVE GPS COORDINATES THROUGH PMS BUT ONLY FOR WOLVES AND YOTES. we already have a large thread on this, and my thouights and opinions are well documented. just relax a little if you knew anything about the area up here or the pred numbers, or how few people hunt them, you would understand why this is very different than moose spots. I will be happy to do the same for you if you like when it comes to wolves.

Andrew
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Just a Note.... Most people will pull off the the side of the road walk out on the river and sit and call.... There are a S**tload of people that do that and only have limited success. Pay attention to where you are and who owns the property. If you hunt the donnelly flats area down by Delta some of that is owned by Ft Greely and Wainwright, You need a RAP (recreational access permit) to hunt that area, you can usually get them by going to the visitor center. Also if you want to hunt the pipeline.... Technically you need a pipeline right of way pass. any of the pump stations can give you this pass and it is usually good for 2 yrs. If you get caught with out the pipeline pass they will usually just ask you to leave (depending on who it is) they may also ask you to stop and get the pass. Most of the Security gaurds I dealt with were very good about letting us slide as long as we came by and got the pass.. The gaurd shack at the pump station can usually do this for you and they are manned 24/7... Good Luck and post some pics when you get one.

been hearing a lot of word that bunnies seem to be disappearing fast the last few months even down around delta where they are normally thicker than fleas. Seems like we may be seeing a bunny crash this year.

Talked to a fellow from delta today, said the rabbits are getting thin and he's seeing bolder, or more desperate predators around the area.

Interesting, if true could make for some awesome predator hunting this year, but thin next few!

Thanks Guys,

I'm glad that most people understood where I was coming from. My shooting predators only makes your Big Game hunting better. Went out today and didn't see anything, but I had a blast.

crazedBOWhunter

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    Wow. Unbelievable. Since when is it cool to give out hunting or fishing spots in such a manner? I hope these spots are wild goose chases. Even though I don't give two rips about calling wolves, coyotes or lynxes that is uncool telling people where to go. Why don't you post your moose spots too, I'm interested in that. Lazy people asking where to go is bad enough but then people tell them where to go. Let the ones who are new learn the hard way like all the people before them. Let them do some work. May all your favorite hunting spots be overrun.

Straight up, you're REDICULOUS!!! I can't believe you're wound so tight... Sounds to me like some they mentioned areas you like to go... REDICULOUS!!! Public land my friend... public land...

Wondering how the predator hunting went? If you still want some info PM me. There is a lot of land up here and there are tons of predators everywhere. Just get off the beaten path, sometimes you dont have to travel to far to do that!!!

crazedbowhhunter, I'm guessing you feel the same way about the areas you hunt. I would love to see what you would do if someone posted all your favorite hunting areas.

crazedBOWhunter

Public land is public land...i agree w/ what others said about describing general hunting areas...hell i'm going up the Steese Hwy tomorrow after some predators...come join me if you like...there's so much land out there to explore and i have no problem helping someone out w/ a starting point...

I too am curious how you did cavtrooper....

Be careful going up the Steese, those hills might be a toboggan run. I haven't been predator hunting up the Steese in a couple years. I had too many blank stands up there and wrote it off in the past. Hopefully things change and you get into some predators, I'm sure they're around, just no willing takers when I was there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Be careful going up the Steese, those hills might be a toboggan run. I haven't been predator hunting up the Steese in a couple years. I had too many blank stands up there and wrote it off in the past. Hopefully things change and you get into some predators, I'm sure they're around, just no willing takers when I was there.
    i agree... Cleary summit was closed yesterday and a good part of today... i have folks still trying to get in from out that way... one just showed up from livengood off the elliott... and was 6 hour drive... (~80miles)

might aught ot give it a few days.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

crazedBOWhunter

Yeah, I looked into it last night and just isn't worth it right now. I was just trying to prove a point that...Thanks for the heads up though! I appreciate it! I know a few guys who pulled 3 lynx & a fox off the Steese in one day...3 stands and four animals... talk about a great day, eh...

Deerhunter's probably from the Lower 48 metro area of the U.S.