Thread: a 20ga for black bears

Default a 20ga for black bears

This is really a lower 48 question, but there is a lot of bear knowledge here.

I have a .44mag and the low recoil buffalo bores are 1036ft/lbs at the muzzle.
    In states where I cannot carry a pistol I am thinking about a 20 gauge for black bear defense. All the Remington stats show a 20ga slug in the 1500 ft/lb range. The Brenneke stats show a 3" 20ga at 2120 ft/lbs.

Yes bigger is always better but does anyone think a 20ga is foolish in this case?
    I am thinking about a Browning BPS Upland if that matters.

Thanks,
    Bill

A 20 gauge w/ slugs would be fine, either that or a rolled up newspaper.

I often carry my 20 gauge Remington 11-87 Youth model on my hikes. It is good protection, and with a few #8's I can collect dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    A 20 gauge w/ slugs would be fine, either that or a rolled up newspaper.
    While the black bears are no where near as dangerous as their west coast cousins there are problem black bears on the east coast.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125803&page=1

...An encounter in New York state's Catskill Mountains in August ended tragically, when a black bear came up to a vacationing family's cabin and attacked and killed a 5-month-old baby. Investigators say the bear knocked the girl out of her stroller and tried to drag the infant into the woods. Her family had been vacationing there. ...

And a Google of 'black bear' and 'smoky mountains' will also show an attack in 2000.

Regards,

I've read alot of good reports about the Brenneke shotgun slugs and seriously thinking of ordering some up for my sawed off 12 and maybe a few for my 870 Rem 20ga. Haven't found em in AK yet, but can get them from Midway. They are a bit expensive, but whats your life worth to ya.............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I've read alot of good reports about the Brenneke shotgun slugs and seriously thinking of ordering some up for my sawed off 12 and maybe a few for my 870 Rem 20ga. Haven't found em in AK yet, but can get them from Midway. They are a bit expensive, but whats your life worth to ya.............lol
    Great Northern Guns

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Great Northern Guns
    Thanks AGL for the info.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

My frame of reference in recent years has been traditional muzzleloaders, and in that world a 54 cal round ball is considered "big medicine" for black bear, and a 58 cal is even better. The 54 shoots a 224 grain ball @ around 1600. The 58 shoots a 279 grain ball at about the same. My favorite is a 62 caliber launching a 342 grain ball at about the same speed.

BTW- A 54 caliber is a 31 gauge, a 58 caliber is a 24 gauge, and a 62 caliber is a 20 gauge. That 342 grain ball is actually 3/4 oz.

It's all a numbers game, but I sure wouldn't hesitate to shoot a black bear with a 54, a 58 or a 62 round ball muzzie, or a 50 for that matter. A 20 gauge with slugs would be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Walmart has Brenneke slugs in both 20ga and 12ga. Does Midway ship ammo to Alaska ? Most places will not.

Remington Buck Hammer Slug, 2 3/4", 1 oz, 1500 fps, 2236 fpe, 20ga.
    PROUD TO BE A VETERAN