Thread: Archer Qualifications

Default Archer Qualifications

So whats with the proficiency tests, and special bow hunting licenses? I thought you could just buy a bow, and go at it, just like a rifleman... Not looking for debate, just simple enlightenment.

thanks
    -gary

You can, you only need the IBEP certification to apply for archery only hunts or to hunt in archery only areas. If you want to hunt with a bow in an area that is not weapon restricted, go for it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

ah i see thank you sir

That's it in a nutshell. I bowhunted for 13 yrs up here before I got my certification so I could hunt archery only areas and apply for archery only tags.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

When I was up here before in the 90s I don't recall any bowhunter certification. In the eastern Brooks Range though I don't believe it's required. This sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm1 View Post
    When I was up here before in the 90s I don't recall any bowhunter certification. In the eastern Brooks Range though I don't believe it's required. This sound right?
    I did not see any archery restricted hunts in GMU 25 or 26.
    Here's reference - with restricted hunts listed at bottom of page: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ons.bowhunting

Thanks 6X.

I would STRONGLY recommend you go ahead and take the IBEP class whether you intend to hunt in a restricted weapons hunt or not. It is pretty easy, but provides some great information that you can use anywhere. It'll get you thinking more along the lines of what the differences are between archery and rifle hunting.

Have fun with it. For me, archery hunting really didn't sink in until my first animal was down and I realized I just killed a large game animal with a stick and string. Pretty cool feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would STRONGLY recommend you go ahead and take the IBEP class whether you intend to hunt in a restricted weapons hunt or not. It is pretty easy, but provides some great information that you can use anywhere. It'll get you thinking more along the lines of what the differences are between archery and rifle hunting.

Have fun with it. For me, archery hunting really didn't sink in until my first animal was down and I realized I just killed a large game animal with a stick and string. Pretty cool feeling.
    Good advice. Though I have yet to take game with my bow, I found the course interesting and helpful. Two valuable tips I picked up in the IBEP Cert class: 1). An instructor called our attention to barbed broadheads which, though available locally, are not legal for bowhunting in Alaska, 2). The concept of a bowhunting toolkit - esp a bow press. As long as you practice 20-30 yds , standing and kneeling regularly, the shoot is no big deal. Spending a half day with more experienced bowhunters was pretty cool. Paul Asman was one of the instructors when I took the class. Very worthwhile (online) course too.

Another reason to get the IBEP cert is for purposes of hunting other states. Many of them may require some type of cert for any archery drawing tags, same as ours. The class is easy, doesn't take much time, and encompasses far more than just learning to hit the spot. Do it now before you actually need it (like applying for permits).

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Another reason to get the IBEP cert is for purposes of hunting other states. Many of them may require some type of cert for any archery drawing tags, same as ours. The class is easy, doesn't take much time, and encompasses far more than just learning to hit the spot. Do it now before you actually need it (like applying for permits).
    Yep. Here's the current list where it's required: Overview of the IBEP Program in North America

I am new to this forum. I work on the slope 2x2 rotation. I have seen the schedule and it looks like the only time I will be able to take the class I will have to take time off work. Is there anyone out there that would put on a class if I had a few people that would attend? Right now I have 3 people. I would like to try to get it done before spring black bear season starts. We have all taken the online portion of the class we just need to do the shoot. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by akripnride View Post
    I am new to this forum. I work on the slope 2x2 rotation. I have seen the schedule and it looks like the only time I will be able to take the class I will have to take time off work. Is there anyone out there that would put on a class if I had a few people that would attend? Right now I have 3 people. I would like to try to get it done before spring black bear season starts. We have all taken the online portion of the class we just need to do the shoot. Any help would be appreciated.
    Assuming you are in Anchorage for the "off" time? If so, have you looked at alternate locations for the shooting test? There might be an option in either Soldotna/Kenai or up in Fairbanks that might fit your schedule better. Just a thought.

If the spring black bear hunts are not archery only, you don't need the certification to hunt them. You only need the certification if it is an archery only hunt, otherwise, you can use whatever method you prefer.

Bowhunters hunting black bear over bait are required to have an IBEP card in units 7, 14-16.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Bowhunters hunting black bear over bait are required to have an IBEP card in units 7, 14-16.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I am not a bear hunter, so wasn't familiar with that part. Good reminder to always double check info from even the most well intentioned here, myself included. Thanks again.