Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Model 700 XCR II Rifle, 375 H&H

Default Remington Model 700 XCR II Rifle, 375 H&H

For the past couple of months I've been looking into a 375 H&H. I'm thinking about a Remington Model 700 XCR II, model #84531 in 375 H&H. The price is right and there is a $100 factory rebate for purchases made before Dec 31 2010.

I'm currently in the Army at Ft Campbell KY. I anticipate orders to Ft Richardson for a 2 year tour, arriving spring/summer of 2011. In the past 20 years I've been a frequent shooter (for accuracy) but I haven't hunted. The amount of time I can get off will determine if I rekindle my hunting days. This rifle will be my celebration of a 30+ year desire to get assigned to AK.

So what I'd like to know is if you have any experience with this rifle and what you think about it if you own or have fired one. Since I like working with accurate rifles, I'd like to know your take on it's accuracy...yes, I know it is not a target rifle.

I thank you for reading this post and I look forward to reading any responses.

AJ

My only comment is that it's an overly large cartridge unless you are specifically going after coastal brown bears. The big boomers are expensive to shoot and therefore many folks don't practice with them enough to become proficient with them. I personally have steered away from the larger magnum cartridges and the newer compact magnums due to cost. I can afford two to three times the practice ammo with my 30-06 than I can with the aforementioned rounds.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've hunted with an older M-700 in 375 H&H for about 7 or 8 years now. I've enjoyed it very much. The newer XCR you mention is a nice rifle. The XCR's are a bit light for that caliber. You will find recoil to be a bit intense. However, it's a hunting rifle, not a bench gun. Easy to carry. Accuracy should be very good with the right loads. I gravitate toward the 300 grain bullets, as that is what the 375 was designed to shoot. I figure if you want to shoot a lighter bullet, get a 338. The bottom line is, if you like it, get it and don't look back. Nice gun, nice cartridge. Good luck!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default Rem:700 XCR

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    For the past couple of months I've been looking into a 375 H&H. I'm thinking about a Remington Model 700 XCR II, model #84531 in 375 H&H. The price is right and there is a $100 factory rebate for purchases made before Dec 31 2010.

I'm currently in the Army at Ft Campbell KY. I anticipate orders to Ft Richardson for a 2 year tour, arriving spring/summer of 2011. In the past 20 years I've been a frequent shooter (for accuracy) but I haven't hunted. The amount of time I can get off will determine if I rekindle my hunting days. This rifle will be my celebration of a 30+ year desire to get assigned to AK.

So what I'd like to know is if you have any experience with this rifle and what you think about it if you own or have fired one. Since I like working with accurate rifles, I'd like to know your take on it's accuracy...yes, I know it is not a target rifle.

I thank you for reading this post and I look forward to reading any responses.

AJ
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply:

I purchased one last year! The .375 H&H caliber speaks for itself! The XCR line, in my opinion, is comparable to Remington's Custom Shop Line. For Alaska hunting, without reservation, you could'nt have chosen a better rifle. Have fun!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The newer XCR you mention is a nice rifle. The XCR's are a bit light for that caliber. You will find recoil to be a bit intense.
    To gunbugs,

Would you have any other suggestions for a heavier rifle in the same price range? The weight listed in the WWW is 7 5/8 lbs. Most rifles in my price range are between 6+ lbs to 8 lbs. I've fired a 26 inch older Browning A-Bolt 375 H&H (don't know the weight) and the felt recoil of that particular rifle was more pleasant than my Ruger M77 MKII in 300 WM. I actually prefer a heavier rifle anyways because the weight reduces felt recoil and the weight just feels good. The Remington I was asking about is stainless steel...something that will come in handy if when near salt water areas.

By the way, I reload. Once I have the brass I figure that the cost should be: 31 cents for powder, 4 cents for primer, 1.17 for the bullet, for a total of somewhere around $1.52. So, 30 bucks for 20 rounds isn't really bad when compared to the price for factory ammo.

To all who responded,

Thank you! I'm reading every word and I appreciate your responses.

If you reload you are golden. I loved my days with my .375 H&H.. I just got tired of its weight (not a problem with the XCR) and they fact I always seemed to reach for my 30-06 when I headed out the door. I traded if for a couple smaller rifles the kids now use.

Seeing that you have a .300WM, you will be well armed for everything Alaska has to offer. Thanks for your service and I hope your plans to make it to Alaska come through.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I can only relate what I see from the field and on the range.

As others have chimed in:

I feel the Remington XCR I & II are likely good choices in a rifle. Reasons being - typically good accuracy, somewhat better finished look, good all conditions protection to metal surfaces, etc.

The real shortcomings I believe are that the barrel weight and contour for .375 H&H is a thin, skinny, lousy selection. The open sights are the worst of worst - I'd liken 'em to inexpensive rim-fire rifles. The stock is not all that great.

Make no mistake - the XCR II is no custom shop gun! A 'TRYNITE logo' does not make it comparative to custom-shop Remington... not in price, re-sale, and unless you are lucky fit, finish, and perforance out of the box. Of course, there are lucky and unlucky shooters on both sides of that fence.

Reasons to have XCR II rifle are price-point (often sell $100-200+ less than MSRP), preferred .375 H&H caliber, stainless/synthetic combo having the added electroless nickel plating with satin 'tool' treatment, and the fact that it very likely will look much the same trip after trip.

I use .375 H&H for everything Alaska --- no such thing as a .375 H&H being too much gun. I always run 300GR. having consistent/outstanding accuracy and results with Factory Federal Nosler Partition Cape Shock as well as my long time favorite Federal SP Power Shock. This caliber rifle is rarely picky/finicky on what you'll feed it.

Get a .375 H&H and enjoy. Recoil is not too bad... you'll be surprised! Yes - more power than non-magnums, yet trajectory is similar to .30-06.

Best wishes on receiving orders to Ft. Rich!!! Many on tours have made Alaska home in such a way.

Thanks to all veterans and those serving on this VETERAN's DAY.

Brian is spot on with the quality and finish remarks.

A good friend of mine has one and I've shot more than 60 rounds through it. The recoil is sharp and I would swear it hits harder than my 375 Ruger. Funny thing is the Ruger shoots the same 300gr TSX faster and doesn't make me sore. The lighter Remington and it's harder recoil pad make for a painful day developing loads.

For hunting the recoil isn't an issue. Generally you will be wearing layers and only fire 1-2 shots unlike a day at the range.

The Ruger can be bought for around $800.00 in most locations, not sure about the Remington. Both rifles have pros and cons, evaluate them side by side and go with your gut. Either rifle is plenty for anything you pursue.
    Last edited by marshall; 11-11-2010 at 18:46. Reason: typo

I understand corrosion resistance is a preferred quality these days. That being said, I own no stainless hunting rifles. I'm more "old school" myself and like blued, walnut stocked guns. I make it a point to take care of my rifle when in the field. I stay on top of it if its wet out. Sure, I've seen a little brown here and there on my hunting guns, but I defy you to tell me where it was looking at them now. I wipe them down regularly in the field, and thoroughly clean them when I get home. That aside, I would highly recommend the CZ550 in 375. Nice weight, long barrel, excellent sights, deep magazine, good trigger, excellent bedding system. And they can be had with synthetic stocks if desired. A superb value these days. If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as my primary hunting rifle.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I just bought this exact rifle. I am still waiting on my rebate to show up, but I did get an email a couple weeks ago stating it was approved. The rifle by no means is a custom shop gun but I will tell you that the Trinite coating is unbelievely hard. My buddy Karl at Kampfeldcustoms.com told me it is a great protectant! I was torn between what to do w/ the stock it came w/. I liked the way the green w/ black complimented it, but it was a little too light and flimsy. When I took the stock off the rifle, it was a no brainer (for me) that it was going to be replaced. I sold it for $65.00 and used that money to put toward an HS Precision.
    If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse there, use your 5% off the price and use the $100 rebate and you have a heck of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Brian is spot on with the quality and finish remarks.

A good friend of mine has one and I've shot more than 60 rounds through it. The recoil is sharp and I would swear it hits harder than my 375 Ruger. Funny thing is the Ruger shoots the same 300gr TSX faster and doesn't make me sore. The lighter Remington and it's harder recoil pad make for a painful day developing loads.

For hunting the recoil isn't an issue. Generally you will be wearing layers and only fire 1-2 shots unlike a day at the range.

The Ruger can be bought for around $800.00 in most locations, not sure about the Remington. Both rifles have pros and cons, evaluate them side by side and go with your gut. Either rifle is plenty for anything you pursue.
    Marshall is spot on!!! The Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger is the way to go. My cousin has a XCR in .375RUM.......YIKES!!!!! NOT fun to shoot! The stock is unimpressive and the sights are seriously lacking. On the up side it is weather proof and his happened to be exceptionally accurate with handloads. As another mentioned it's a lot of gun for anything up here excepting brown bear. Good luck with your decision.

Brett

I have an XCR chambered in 375 RUM. The first thing I did was have the barrel chopped down to 21's... My intended use for the rifle was for Close Quarters Battle (CQB) with bears in tight places, so I wanted a short rifle with a lot of punch. But I didn't want to ever worry about velocity loss from the shorter barrel... (which in hindsight was probably a non-issue)

I then had Steve @ Alaska Custom Firearms install a receiver mounted ghost sight on the rear of the receiver and a new fiber optic front sight with a protective hood. Then I also had him mount a picatinny rail on the front of the receiver so I could mount an Aimpoint with a LaRue quick release mount so I could take the optic off if I wanted to and not worry about POA/POI issues when I reinstalled the optic. Hence the reason I went with the LaRue mount.

Next I started loading 300 gr Barnes TSX's for it. Also I found a box of 350 gr Barnes (show stoppers) Original Solids... I found a guy in Australia that was shooting the same bullets and he provided me with load data that actually gives me the same POA/POI as the 300 gr TSX's so I don't have to worry about compensating for drop with the heavier bullet.

Finally I started shooting the darn thing to get used to the violent recoil, and after 200 rounds down range I had to buy a new stock for the thing cuz the one it came with cracked near the sling swivel stud on the butt stock...

I haven't shot anything with it yet, but I'm pretty confident that it will kill anything on planet Earth... because it has really conveyed to me that it is serious about hurting things, like my shoulder. I have to ad that I own a 50 BMG bolt gun and it doesn't kick quite as hard as the 375 RUM... so if you are wanting to get a 375, go with the H&H like you want to because I can testify that the RUM is probably overkill!

God Bless...

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Marshall is spot on!!! The Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger is the way to go.
    When the Colt Delta Elite 10mm came out in the 80's I got one, then the 40 S&W came out and the 10mm supply dried up or was in short supply for nearly 20 years. I don't want to make another caliber selection again just when they start drying up!

I looked up the 375 Ruger and the Hornady site shows more FPS. And you say it has less felt recoil? Seriously? What about the availability of getting rounds? Its been out for 5 years? Is this a long term cartridge or something that will be gone in 10 years? Most internet places are out of brass and I will reload because $70 bucks for 20 rounds is way too much to pay. I found 1 shop that has a couple of packs of 50 pieces for $45 + shipping. The 375 Rugers on ableammo.com are 20 (8 lbs) inch and 23 (7 1/2 lbs) inch models and they are $835. The price is right. If I go with the Ruger, is there an appreciable difference with the 3 inches of barrel length? The Ruger just might be my choice if I think it'll have longevity.

Regarding my original selection, the Remington M700 XCR II sounds like the major issue is recoil. Would a recoil reducing stock help? Do these really work? I haven't fired anything with one yet.

Any comments on the Browning A-Bolt rifles? Good? Bad? They are in my price range.

I still have a lot of thinking to do and you folks are giving me great info to consider. Again, thanks!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    I have an XCR chambered in 375 RUM.
    You had a lot of work done to your rifle. What's your evaluation of the basic XCR platform?

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    I just bought this exact rifle.
    So, what's your opinion of the recoil? Any perceivable difference than other 375's (if you've fired other 375 H&Hs)? I'd be very interested to read your overall evaluation of it?

Thanks,

AJ

I don't want to make another caliber selection again just when they start drying up!... What about the availability of getting rounds?.... Its been out for 5 years? Is this a long term cartridge or something that will be gone in 10 years? AJ
    Predicting the future market is a tough call. I have a .375 Ruger Alaskan and I rather like it a lot. I have had no problems finding ammunition in my rural community or in larger cities when I go there. During the ammo madness of a couple years ago I had zero problems finding my "doomed to disappear" .375 Rug and .300 WSM but feeding my .308 was something of a challenge.

The .375 Ruger at this point has (reportedly) consistently exceeded Hornady's annual sales targets and I think that says volumes about its potential future in the marketplace if the maker is selling more than he anticipated. A common LA receiver means its no harder to build rifles than any other long action and the basic case is sourced to a couple of other calibers as well. I would give its future in the market as good a chance as any.

Running the recoil calculator on the 24" 375 H&H at 7.4 pounds versus the 20" 375 Ruger at 8.0 pounds at velocities that I have personally measured with both rifles shooting a 300gr TSX the Ruger has 2.1 pounds more calculated recoil.

As far as felt recoil goes the Remmy has a hard pad and the Ruger has a soft pad. It makes a huge difference after 20+ shots testing a variety of loads. Also, the loads I have worked up with both cartridges the Ruger with it's larger case benefits from a slower burning powder. That can give a feeling of less felt recoil simply by smoothing out the light off. The ammo is available from from several sources. There are several custom gun makers chambering the 375 Ruger cartridge and a cheaper Howa version is available. Personally I prefer the original from Ruger with it's heavy barrel and strong control feed bolt.

If you go with a 375 Ruger I have lots of data with 260gr Accubond, 260gr Partition, 300gr Partition, 300gr Game Kings, 270gr TSX and 300gr TSX bullets that I will share with you. My best load and current pet is the 300gr TSX over RL-17, the pic speaks for it's self. 100yards, 6 power scope 20" Alaskan model. This is a max load and will need to be tuned down in a longer 23" African or 24" Howa barrel.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...an/models.html

http://www.legacysports.com/products..._375ruger.html

Ruger 375 Alaskan.jpg

You had a lot of work done to your rifle. What's your evaluation of the basic XCR platform?

AJ
    I like the rifle fine, but the barrel was too long for me and the factory sights were not what I wanted. I fixed the 2 things that bothered me about the rifle and now I love it.

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

I looked up the 375 Ruger and the Hornady site shows more FPS. True. And you say it has less felt recoil? Seriously? Yes and no. I haven't lost my mind. Keep in mind I shoot some GIANT calibres and so my idea of recoil is SLIGHTLY scewed. That said ALL ELSE EUQUAL the .375 Ruger kicks more due partially to more FT/LBS from a few FPS more, but mostly from the case shape causing higher FPS of recoil. IE. The Ruger has sharper recoil all else being equal. That said a Ruger Alaskan will recoil less than a XCR in .375 H&H due to the relative weights. That was the point I was making. What about the availability of getting rounds? If you reload.........so what??? Its been out for 5 years? Is this a long term cartridge or something that will be gone in 10 years? Anything is possible, but I doubt it. Will it ever over take the H&H? Not likely. Do I like it more than the H&H? NO. Do I like the .375 Ruger Alaskan better than other similarly priced .375s currently offered........you bet! Most internet places are out of brass and I will reload because $70 bucks for 20 rounds is way too much to pay. Besides who wants to use Hornady bullets???? I load 300 grain TSX and Barnes Solids. I found 1 shop that has a couple of packs of 50 pieces for $45 + shipping. The 375 Rugers on ableammo.com are 20 (8 lbs) inch and 23 (7 1/2 lbs) inch models and they are $835. The price is right. If I go with the Ruger, is there an appreciable difference with the 3 inches of barrel length? The Ruger just might be my choice if I think it'll have longevity. Nope to barrel length. My biggest consideration between African or Alaskan is use. I have one of each. African for Africa and Alaskan for Alaskan brown bear. Well............my friends and I load for God knows what obscure 100+ year old cartridges 500/450, 450 no2, 476, 577 2 3/4", ect, ect.........and yet we find bullets, dies, and brass. Worst case scenario.........you still find reloading parts. LIKELY scenario.......no big deal. There will always be powder. There will always be .375 bullets. There will always be primers. That said the rate limiting step is/could be dies and brass. They will always be available even if they cost you a bit more.
    Hope this helps.

Brett

The Ruger M77 hawkeyes in .375 Ruger came out in 1997. My brother works at Rugers and does work on that gun on the assembly line. They seem like a beauty of a gun and if you look at the Ammo Data it is impressive as all the other .375 loads out on the market. Seems every gun and ammo maker is always trying to build a better mouse trap so to say.

Myself i want to get a .416 Hawkeye but have been waiting on my brother now for 3 weeks to get the paperwork for the employee discount (about 48% of list)=They are allowed 4 guns a year/but he doesn't buy any at all. I went out yesterday and got a .300 Rem Ulta Mag. that should surfice for for an alaska big game stopper. I'll get the .416 before i move to alaska in 4 years. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast