Thread: What bush plane

Default What bush plane

How do you all like the cessna 185? I think having 4seats in it and the rest cargo area would be nice. Don't some have a removeable bench seat in the back? How about a Husky? Maule? I know the Husky is not best for passenger but how about for cargo? What are the good bush planes?

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Shooter View Post
    How do you all like the cessna 185? I think having 4seats in it and the rest cargo area would be nice. Don't some have a removeable bench seat in the back? How about a Husky? Maule? I know the Husky is not best for passenger but how about for cargo? What are the good bush planes?
    My personal recommendation is to stick with the Cessna line. The C-185 is one of the best bush planes going, everything considered. The only drawback is the small door for loading. Moose and Caribou racks must be sawed to carry them inside, and that presents a problem if the horns are to be measured for othe record books.

It's also my opinion that the Maule line is a bit short of good visibility, but that's a matter of personal observation. I find the Maule a bit shy on directional stability, too, so that rough air means being on the rudders full time.

The removable back seat (the canvas sling arrangement) is a Form 337 matter, and any good mechanic can fix you up with that seat. It's a great move, too, since lots of outback flying is freight of one sort or another.

A good substitute will always be the economical Cessna 180. Perhaps the best all-round light aircraft God ever made!