Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: cooking bear smell?

  1. #1
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default cooking bear smell?

    Most wild game that I've cooked never had what I would call a bad smell. Do you get a strong odor thats not the greatest when cooking bear? We've eaten meat from this bear and I know that it's not spoiled or anything but we are slow cooking a roast and the odor is strong and not the most pleasent. Any thoughts or insights?

  2. #2

    Default

    There is nothing wrong with your nose. It is working as it is supposed to.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Hmmm. Our spring bear from PWS tastes and smells great. Made a bunch of burger out of him and it delicious. He was shot in early May though so it was just out of the den and feeding on grass yet.
    A fall bear I shot out of same area was feeding on salmon and it was inedible and stunk when skinning.
    BK

  4. #4
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Well we had it for dinner and very mixed reviews. The wife had marinated the night before rubbing with nutmeg and then the oil water, apple cider vinegar and spices. It was slow cook all day with a apple grilling sauce and onions. Some bites were very gamey while others tasted great. My thought were the outer more done tasted better while the inner was way gamey for me. On a side note it did have a bone in it. We have had ground burger that was good in things and stews and chilies that were good. My over all impression was that it wasn't that good but my bear killing daughter liked it and son thought it was ok. Wife didn't like it at all. This was a 1st week june bear south of Homer.

  5. #5

    Default

    After trying several. I am convinced it requires and acquired taste, to really like it. I have not acquired it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member GrizzlyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    After trying several. I am convinced it requires and acquired taste, to really like it. I have not acquired it.
    Like acquiring the taste for Scotch. 60 years and I still ain't got it acquired.
    Ate bear when I was a kid and hated it. Still can't get the taste out my mouth, not to mention the fat.........yuk!!!!
    Give me spruce grouse first, even tho I hate them too.
    Now ruffed grouse? Whole different story.

    Oh wait, thats where the Scotch comes in, to kill the bear taste. Guess that could work.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

  7. #7
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    with nutmeg and then the oil water, apple cider vinegar and spices. It was slow cook all day with a apple grilling sauce and onions.
    i would wager where the odoriferous was from....

    try an interior bear next go round... much tastier.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  8. #8
    Member 1stimestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    758

    Default

    I only tasted bear once. It was a cooked roast and did not taste gamey at all. It was in fact, wonderful! Yea, an interior bear.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

    Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

  9. #9
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Thanks guys, Now you have given me a reason to tell the wife I have to go on another bear hunt. Actually I'll have to do two because i need to do a Prince william hunt as well

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    I've never had a gamey bear. Is there a possibility that there was some bone-souring in the one you killed? Your description of the location of the gamey flavor leads me to wonder this; particularly the alternating clean and gamey flavors.

    Was it processed very quickly? Did you hang it the way you might hang beef or moose? (* We -never-, -ever- hang or age bear meat; process as quickly as possible, just as you would a freshly slaughtered pig.)

    I've eaten older Interior Alaska bears, younger bears from both the Interior and from the Northern S.E. coast (Haines area), and had them from early spring on into later July, and never had a gamey bear. But then, none of them were what I'd call 'fish bears,' with the exception of the 1-yr.-old plus little feller' I shot after he raided our smoker a ways outside of Haines about 29 years ago.

    By the way, I've canned most of our bear meat for the last 30 years, and I don't hunt them anymore, though I accept bear meat from friends. I'm currently having some de-boned hind-quarter meat from a young black bear from spring 2009 turned into summer sausage, added to this year's moose at a 25% bear meat to 75% moose meat ratio, with extra garlic and hot peppers.

    Good luck!

  11. #11
    Member AkKevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canton, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    119

    Default Gammy Flavors

    This is true of all animals and fish: the less blood, skin and bone you have when you cook less gammy or the milder taste will be.
    Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

  12. #12
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,838

    Default

    The black bear that I shot this year across the inlet in September near a coho filled salmon stream is the LEAST smelly game meat that I have ever cooked. Zero smell to him at all. He had a lot of fat on him and I left all bones except skull in the field.

  13. #13

    Default

    Tboehm

    Did you hang the bear (or delay processing) for any period of time and if so what was the temperature while the bear was hanging?

    Did you leave the fat on when you processed the bear and if so did you cook it with any of the fat on?

  14. #14
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default That's a Grass Fed Bear, There

    Tboehm, I shot a Black Bear, only days after your daughter in the same area (within a few miles by the pics on your thread story) and it's stomach was full of grass, so I imagine that is not an issue with your Bear meat.

    Contrary to some opinions, I hung mine in the hold over Ice, (monitored inside meat temp 37F) for five days before we were in a place to butcher further, (before I go further It is Fantastic meat, no smell at all, great neutral taste/smell as good as any Venison, etc.)

    Then we deboned it all, removed ALL FAT, froze immediately, and a month later most was sent to Indian Valley Meats where they turned it into Really Good Breakfast Sausage and Italian Sausage. My wife who is very picky with Game meat thinks it is fine (doesn't like the fat they added at Indian Valley, tho), and the two boys love it. We gorge on it with Eggs for Bkfst all the time. SO, that being said,

    I would not cook it with bone in, I imagine that would taint the flavor some. Probably suggest making Sausage with it, but don't give up on it, because of some of the online opinions on Black Bear.

    As for myself we are going back to the same area, maybe a few weeks earlier next year, FOR SURE, Lots of Bears, Tasting Good, Too

    By our similar hunt harvest times, I am fairly SURE, Yours WAS NOT a Summer/Salmon Bear.

    Hope it works out for ya, the next hunt I mean.
    Well, the meat on this one too. The two may be intertwined a bit
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  15. #15
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    The best game taco I ever ate was from a black bear.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •