Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barnes bullets

Default barnes bullets

i have never liked the performance of banres from what i have read from what i have read is that they don't open up sometimes and since they don't fragment they don't cause much muscle and organ damage just make a hole and every one likes theme because they penetrate like no tomorrow. and when shot with a ttsx or tsx or even mrx the animal gows long ways since there wasent allot of damage but yesterday i saw this video abut barnes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV8ij1gK-ck

i use a 338 win mag and thinking of using 225gr ttsx can some one tell me if this video is true? and if barnes are a good bullet? exipirances killing moose with theme another thing i think is that banres are good if u got a small cal. for moose where u need the penetration but with a 338 win mag i mid as well use 250gr partitions

i shot my moose this year with a .338 win. mag. 210 gr. barnes TSX. found my bullet in the hide on the other side of my shot, so it penetrated very well. the bullet it's self opened up excactly like the pictures that i have seen and it did have 100% weight retention. after the shot moose walked 25 yrds, and was down. personaly im a firm believer in barnes bullets

i, too, love barnes 225gr bullets in a .338.
    takes out the shoulders just like a dream.

Have never used them on game or paper with exception to the original design "X" bullet, horrible accuracy and copper fouling in my .338WM. Been using Nosler Partitions for years on big game. I prefer the 225 grain bullet but have used the 250 grain bullet. Shot with the partiton they go nowhere but down right now. If you are shooting the Nosler now, there is no reason to change IMO.

BTW a 225 grn partition from my rifle traveled nearly the full length of a huge bull moose after passing through the ulna, shattering it just below the shoulder joint.

Any of you guys who dislike X bullets have any XLC’s in 270gr 375 cal?...these are the old blue x bullets….I’m looking for some to buy….THX, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Any of you guys who dislike X bullets have any XLC’s in 270gr 375 cal?...these are the old blue x bullets….I’m looking for some to buy….THX, Dave
    Good luck Dave those are far and few between it seems.

The MRX bullets performance on game for me has be notably outstanding. I loaded some 165g up in my 300 H&H last year and carefully used them on game taking a goat, deer, and large black bear out of rounds from that one batch. Each animal died quickly with tremendous shock. I could hear those bullets whack.

I also use to like using the XLC bullets in the 168 configuration but they stopped making those.

A 100g Barnes in my 25-06 is super for Black tail deer.

I use Nosler bullets too. They do break up more but are accurate and deadly just the same

Laffin'...yea I know....finding any XLC's is a long shot!...but ya never know!
    I have maybe ten boxes of XLC 100 gr. for my 257 WM and maybe 6 boxes of 140 gr XLC in .284, and some in 22 cal too!

Love them bullets!

My buddy and I were talkin about the old blue X bullets just the other day. I told him about a 140 XLC from my 280 AI that I recovered from a moose this year and how pretty it was..... he said that if he were a ear ring wearing guy, he would have a XLC mushroom bullet hung off each ear!....I was laffin'...I said, ya should have a tattoo of one, he was thinking seriously about that.....lol

I'd confidently use TSXs on about anything as long as the velocity is up there enough to ensure expansion. I don't think there is a nickel's worth of difference in practical field performance between TSX, Partition, ABs, et al.

I use Accubonds because my rifle just doesn't like TSXs. I did try the somewhat similarly shaped Trophy Bonded and they shot great. I've also shot the Hornadys with good results.

We are truly blessed to have whole bunch of really good bullets to choose from these days.

Bottom line for me is to use what your rifle likes the best. If your rifle likes the 250gr Partition then by all means use them and go kill critters.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'd confidently use TSXs on about anything as long as the velocity is up there enough to ensure expansion. I don't think there is a nickel's worth of difference in practical field performance between TSX, Partition, ABs, et al.

I use Accubonds because my rifle just doesn't like TSXs. I did try the somewhat similarly shaped Trophy Bonded and they shot great. I've also shot the Hornadys with good results.

We are truly blessed to have whole bunch of really good bullets to choose from these days.

Bottom line for me is to use what your rifle likes the best. If your rifle likes the 250gr Partition then by all means use them and go kill critters.
    I have to agree with you there are plenty of quality bullets out there that all perform exceptionally on game just have to find the one that works in your rifle or pistol and have at it!

All I shoot out of all my rifles are barnes tsx. .375 ultra mag, .300 wsm, 8mm mag. Yes, some of the older x bullets weren't as accurate, etc., but I have not found that at all in the tsx. They in fact shoot very accurately. Used the tsx in Africa and the PH was so impressed with them, that he switched over to shooting tsx's. Not that other bullets aren't good, but they have never failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Sorry I can't help with the 375, but I have a bunch of em in 338; 210gr boat tails.

Barnes.jpg

I shoot 225 gr TSX in my 338 wm and have had favorable results. The following bullets were recovered from a bison and moose. As you can see only one retained all its petals so in most cases you are getting some shrapnel and breakup. Do they hold together and perform better than a Nosler Partition? I think it comes down to personal preference.

Accuracy has been very good. I have these handloads shooting 1" groups and loaded up some 225gr TTSX which will shoot .5" groups.

I've been hunting with the TSX, exclusively, for the past several seasons. I've taken brown bear, black bear, moose, and deer with various calibers of TSX bullets. I've seen enough to know that I like them, and I'm buying a bunch of them while there's still a $5 per box rebate!

I've been using Winchester 225 grain FailSafes in my 330 Dakota for years, but will soon be out of them ... they are no longer available. They are of a similar design to the Xbullets, and have been flawless in use. This years moose was dead in less than 60 seconds ... his lungs were soup. The exit hole was over an inch in diameter.

I have already stocked up on TTSX Barnes 225 grain bullets to replace my depleted supply of FailSafes. I have used the 180 grain blue Barnes XLCs Xbullets in my 300 Dakota with great success. I like the Xbullets. In my rifles, they are accurate. On game, they perform.

Default Barnes TTSX

I shot a moose with a 225 gr. tipped triple shock bullet in .338 mag and it spun around and went down with one shot at about 275 yards. First time ever using them and was impressed the bullet was recovered and mushroomed out very good. Of course my old faithfuls have always been the 210 gr. noslers can't go wrong with them.

Originally Posted by hodgeman

I have to agree with you there are plenty of quality bullets out there that all perform exceptionally on game just have to find the one that works in your rifle or pistol and have at it!
    Yes , sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I've been hunting with the TSX, exclusively, for the past several seasons. I've taken brown bear, black bear, moose, and deer with various calibers of TSX bullets. I've seen enough to know that I like them, and I'm buying a bunch of them while there's still a $5 per box rebate!
    OK, there's bait I'll bite. Where is this $5 dollar per box rebate advertised?

Here is a link. You can print off the rebate form in the link, or you can pick up the rebate forms at the retail store. Sportsman's Warehouse had a bunch of them.

Highlights:
    - $5 per box of TSX's or T-TSX's.
    - up to 10 boxes per household
    - purchases must be made before 12/31/2010

Let the spending spree begin......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast