Thread: What color polarized glasses?

Default What color polarized glasses?

Speaking of combat fishing and getting hooks in the eye....I need a pair of polarized glasses anyways, so what color lense would u get if u were just going to get just one for river fishing? Yellow? Amber? Grey?

I'm looking at the Cabela's "Coccoons".

Polar Eyes brown color.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Action Optics Clearwater Copper... best lenses made for the river angler!

These are photochromic polarized sunglasses that start out in the early morning with a lighter tint similar to Serngetti's.

As the sun gets higher and higher, the glasses get a darker and darker copper brown.

As daylight starts to fade, the lenses will lighten up again.

I wear mine on the water from first to last light.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Yup

Brown/copper is the way to go - dark enough to take the glare off the water on the brightest days and light enough that you're not forced to take them off when the sun gets low and you're fishing in and out of shadows.

Nice glasses, but I want to hear about the fish.

The brightest you can find. I use light tan
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Native Glasses

I have used "Native" glasses for about 7 or 8 years now and won't use anything else! They are freakishly lightweight, vent extremely well so you don't need to worry about fogging and don't sweat nearly as much during active workouts. The lenses are interchangable. I like the "Polarized Brown" color best, but also use the "Polarized Bronze Reflex". They both perform very well in high and lowlight conditions. I got the last pair on Ebay for a good price and it came with a complete extra set of lenses! Check them out.
    Frames: http://www.nativeyewear.com/prod_det...hp?style_id=18
    Lenses: http://www.nativeyewear.com/lenses.php

Joshua

+1 for Native, I like em a lot
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    +1 for Native, I like em a lot

Make it +2 to know. I might just have to buy a pair.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I second the Action Optics, not to mention the warranty. I broke one of the earpieces and they sent me a new pair.

Comparing the warranties of Native to Action Optics, I see that AO is free where Native requires a $30 processing fee no matter what. IMO, that is not a warranty but simply replacement at their cost, for what its worth.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 02-17-2007 at 15:13. Reason: addition

I was looking specifically at the "cocoons" b/c they fit over glasses and are not too exepensive. the choices are yellow, amber, and grey. I guess that the yellow are the brightest and should be the most versatile b/c I imagine that it is often not too bright in alaska...my only question is if yellow lenses will filter enough glare to be useful when it's sunny.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...oons&noImage=0

In that case, get one yellow for low light and one amber for bright conditions.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Amber/copper if you can only get one pair. Way better off with 2 pair, or 2 sets of lenses, so you can change with the conditions. I like my Costa Del Mar's, but they're kind of pricey.

It's all personal preference but I like yellow or amber. And agree that they should be as light in density as possible. The idea is to see the fish. Too dark and it's easy to miss movements or other things that give fish away. I used the pricey photochromatic ones for a spell but they were too dark during the day and not light enough after then sun dipped down.

You may get a little headache on bright ,sunny days with the light density ones but it's a small price to pay for being able to have a more effective day of sight fishing.

Default sunglasses

Costa Del Mar for me too. My first pair I had for three years and broke them snowmachining. I sent them in and they were replaced them for free with no questions asked. This will be my 10th year on my second pair. Pricey, yes, in the long run, a tremendous value.