Thread: Ft. Richardson Report

Default Ft. Richardson Report

Second time hitting Ft. Richardson this week, yesterday i had a mishap during small game hunting (See Adventures at ft. rich in small game forums), today i went back after previously seeing a beautiful red yesterday. Skunked again with no sight of any fox.
    Maybe my technique is bad??
    I'm using a primos Still Jackrabbit distress call and a mouse squeaker. I spent two nights studying the calls and how to use them prior to going out this week, so i believe im making the right sounds..
    Making a waaa-waaa call repeatedly and waiting about 10-15 secs within each call.no movement or noise or any sign of predator. I called at all three lakes with no luck... I even went about an hour into route bravo spending 20 minutes at each stop calling fox or coyote...
    Any suggestions? If there is anyone willing to mentor me on ft. rich that would be greeaat!
    I appreciate all feedback!
    -Gary

I spend a lot of time out there due to my job and there is not that many on base. Best to try further out in the valley or up north.

Just my two cents worth.

MontHunter

Leave some food in the area for them to pick on. They won't be far away the next time you go out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Some days they run you over everytime you get on the call... some days it seems as if the earth is devoid of animal life. Just get back out there and keep trying. From mont's post, might not be very high populations where you're hunting (I've not hunted there, so can't attest either way). I don't know what the hunting pressure is like where you've been going, but if they've been called there before, it's going to make it tougher.

Keep an eye on the wind. Often critters are going to approach the call from down wind if at all possible. Living in a world where they're competing with wolves and bears that may just as quick turn them into a meal, it pays for smaller dogs to play it cautious.

Be patient. Sometimes 15 or 20 minutes of calling at a spot is all it takes. Sometimes it pays to stick it out longer, especially if you're in an area where you think your call is carrying a long way or you know there's good critter populations around. Case in point... I was calling dogs in the rolling sage hills of WY on a very cold, windy, snowy December day. I was just using a mouth call and was kind of worried it wouldn't carry that well in the wind. But within minutes of hitting the call, I noticed a white dot zigzagging down across a distant hill. It was a coyote coming my way from well over 3/4 mile ACROSS the wind direction. If I hadn't seen him start my way, I might have laid off the call after 15 minutes, got up and gone elsewhere. As it was, he kept coming my way the entire time and 45+ minutes later I dropped him in a heap at 70 yards. Since then I've found myself sticking out a likely spot much longer to good results.

Don't call too loud. Sometimes a loud call is necessary to cover big areas or buck the wind (but as described above, dogs can hear very well even when the wind isn't totally to their advantage). Calling too loud can make animals more wary or put them off entirely. I sat on a hill once and watched a guy in a river bottom below calling with an electronic call. I thought it was set too loud, and so did the dogs. I watched three different yotes start to approach the call, and all of them got within 500 or 600 yards and then peeled off. He never saw any of them. Don't burn them - start soft and work louder if you're not seeing any action.

Good luck.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

ah i see now, i realize that i have been calling way to loud. i often time blew in as hard as i could... didn't realise until now. thanks guys!!

Think about a wounded rabbit. Your lung capacity is WAY more than the rabbits'. Keep your sounds short and painful / weak. Instead of "waaa waaa", try "wa wa". You can start out a little loud, with a slightly longer sequence, but then cut back on the volume and duration as you would expect a wounded rabbit running out of energy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
    PC gag in place.

Default wise words

thank so much everyone. i learned:
    1. think dying rabbits wa-wa, instead of waaaa waaa.
    2. Loud first call, then shorter and softer; like a dying rabbit.
    3. Keep going to spots on ft. rich, days are random.

Once I get my foxpro back up and running I can hook up with you out there. I work on base so maybe after work? Just food for thought. Ps don't follow others advice and leave food out there That is a fast way to get fined and banned from your use out there.

Monthunter

monthhunter,

that would be stupendous. I would love to learn more about calling, and i keep hearing about the foxpro. sounds very effective... i'll pm you my contact info, so we can set up a good time.

gary