Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemon Laws

Default Lemon Laws

Did you know that the lemon laws don't apply to snowmobiles? What kind of balony is that? A lot of people depend on their snowmobiles for their lively hood and they (consumer) are not protected.

Default People depend on a lot of things for their...

People depend on a lot of things for their livelyhood. Boats, planes, ATV's, .....

If you have a problem with a machine I'd talk to the salesman that I delt with first. Todays companies do not want a bad reputation with the advent and speed of the internet. Bad words spread at 186,000 mph+ now-a-days.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Apples and oranges

Way more variables apply to snowmachines than cars. For instance, few people jump their cars, or dunk them, or overheat them on a warm day. What's more few body shops deal with wrecked snowmachines and probably few, if any, mechanics keep a record of work on a machine.
    When you but a used car, you expect that it has been treated well and reasonably serviced. How can you really expect that of a machine, other than by what the previous owner may tell you. You should expect a car to run over 100,000 miles. Could you reasonably expect the average snowmobile to be in good shape for even 10,000 miles?

I'm not talking about a used sled. I'm talking about buying a brand new sled for 10 grand and going 10 miles the engine blows up, then getting it back three weeks later with a new motor and 20 miles later it does it again. Okay another dealer fixes it then it goes a whopping 70 miles and breaks down again. Then it gets fixed once more and goes 2 miles and seizes up again. What would you call that? The point is, there is no lemon laws for snowmobiles and if you ever buy a piece of crap, your stuck with it.

Either you're the unluckiest human I've heard of or you're doing something operationally that contributes to the failures. Siezures are usually the result of bad fuel or fuel delivery, improper oiling, or improper application of the throttle. Those factors aren't controlled by the manufacturer.

Mr. Pid, how is the fuel delivery system not controlled by the manufacturer? They designed and built it. They should have done all the proper testing on it. You can't manipulate a EFI system like you can with carburators. I've owned more than my fair share of snowmobiles (15) , but this by far is the worst. I've never had a problem before this one. I'm not looking for sympathy or anything but i'm just letting you guys know before you buy, be aware that there is nothing to protect the consumer from a lemon. You can buy a 10K dollar piece of crap and if they don't want to go good on it, they don't have to.

KLK-pm me with more details on machine and problems. I'm real curious what's going on. Thanks.

I'd like to know the details of your problem...ie the brand, model and the dealer involved....this the perfect forum to remind the dealer you have access to...might encourage them to make good on the warranty they bragged on.

Sounds like you bought a Polaris or an Arctic Cat. I bet Polaris goes out of business entirely within 5 years, they already quit making PWC's, too few people would buy them because they had such bad reps.

I'm waiting to see what the manufacturer does before I start bad mouthing them. I'm not here to bash brands, i'm just telling you that it can happen to you and it is at their discretion to replace it or not. I am happy I have a 3 year warranty but that does me no good when it is broken down all the time. The dealer has been great, I couldn't ask for much more from them. I hope I can say the same for the manufacturer. We will see here hopefully this week.

I have a problem... Bought a brand new yamaha phazer mountain light on january 16, here it is march 2nd and I've rode it a total of 5 times, should be more like 30 times but it's been in yamaha's shop more days than I've had it. I put a total of 100 easy miles on it with nothing but premium fuel. Here's the problem. the first ride we went to lost lake primrose trail the machine ran fine put about 40miles on the sled, the next day we went to mile 126.5 past petersville road and ran the bogs, the machine started bogging down and backfiring and then when you would come to a stop it would rev down and die, so we got tired of this and went back to the trailier. I talked to a guy at the trailer and he suggested it was all the powder clogging the intake for the air box so we cleaned the snow out and went for a ride but it still continued. so I dropped it off at yamaha Tuesday morning Jan.23 and got it back thurs. Jan.25. they re-synced the throttle plates and adjusted the tps. Jan.26 went back out to petersville again, It ran good for awhile and then the same problem. Then I tried an air box mod to detour the snow from the intake. headed to baldy on feb.1 to try it out it ran fine for awhile and then the same problem, though it might have been water in the fuel so we went to eureka on feb.3 and it ran ok for awhile and then the same problem . I went and dropped it of at yamaha on feb.3 and they've had it since then. They've tried switching the ecu no good same problem, checked the fuel preasure after waiting a week to recieve preasure gauge, that was normal, they re-synced the throttle plates and tps again and then they though that would fix it but they needed to wait for a exhaust gas anilizer to check the air to fuel ratio and they recieved it but have not checked it as of today. This is B.S. and by law i wish there was something that I could do please help!!!

it sounds to me that the dealer is a small dealer, or a new one, as all the stuff you said they were waiting for, they should have had in the shop as part of the shop tools, sorry to here about your problems good luck

March 7 finally got the sled back today they said it was an injector that was bad we will have to see on monday when I take it for a ride

Okay, here the story goes. I bought a Polaris FST switchback last year. It did not even go 20 miles and the connecting rod blew out the bottom of the engine. I brought it to the dealer I bought it from and they put a new engine in. This time it went about 20 miles again and it broke down. I got towed home and brought it to my local dealer. They fixed it and they said it was good to go. The next time I brought it out and it went about 90 miles before it almost caught the sled on fire. It was blowing flames out the exhaust and melted the side panels and belly pan. I ended up air freighting it out of the village and brought it to the dealer I bought it from. They told me a sensor went out in it. I told them to keep it and sell it for me on consignment. Well nobody was dumb enough to buy it and I ended up getting it back. I unloaded it off the trailer and it went two miles before it siezed up. I guess the crank seal blew out and it lost all of it's oil. I brought it to the local dealer in Febuary and I still don't have it back. They put a new engine, a new computer, and a new wiring harness in it but it keeps breaking down on them every time they take it out for a test ride. Polaris keeps telling me they will fix it. I think that they are waiting for the snow to melt before they give it back to me. I think that they are tired of putting engines in it. It cost them 6K a pop every time they replace an engine. This is the third engine in it. So the point of my story is, there is nothing that I can do about this lemon. There are no laws protecting the consumer against crap like this. I will probably just end up contacting an attorney to try to get my money back. I asked Polaris to just let me trade it in on a different item but they don't want the sled. They can't sell the ones that they have now.

Sad to know your stories with your vehicles. Good thing, there's lemon law for consumers like you. Almost every state has some sort of lemon law. Lemon laws are where a company has to purchase a product back from a consumer if it is certainly faulty. The nature of lemon laws, as they are known, vary by state, so anyone considering one would have to look up the appropriate legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossel_Y View Post
    Sad to know your stories with your vehicles. Good thing, there's lemon law for consumers like you. Almost every state has some sort of lemon law. Lemon laws are where a company has to purchase a product back from a consumer if it is certainly faulty. The nature of lemon laws, as they are known, vary by state, so anyone considering one would have to look up the appropriate legislation.
    What's your point? Did the laws change for snowmobiles since 5 years ago here in Alaska?

He has no point. It looks like just another span post the dredges up an old thread. Unfortunately a snowmobile is a recreational vehicle. In most (if not all) states you have no consumer protection for offroad recreational vehicles. How did this whole thing end up for you?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Went to small claims and settled before it went to court.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

as my first of 3 business ventures was snowmobile repair... i learned a valuable lesson early on..

P ull
    O ff
    L ake
    A nd
    R epair
    I n
    S pring

will never OWN one ( of any type) starts with P.. though they made me a ton of dough in the shop.. i owe them nothing
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Polaris had lots of stories like that one 3-4-5 years ago. I don't know how they stayed in business, let alone keep any customers. But apparently perserverence paid off. There isn't much dispute that they're back and may be the best sled on the snow right now. Good for them, too. We need all four manufacturers to be strong and successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast