Thread: mud buddy on HB Freighter

Default mud buddy on HB Freighter

Okay,
    I am getting ready to purchase a Mud Buddy HD lite surface drive motor for my HB Freighter.
    I know the owner of the Mud Buddy HD lite 18 HP in Fairbanks. He has nothing but good things to say about the 18.

I also know that there are two folks here that have the 23 HP. I am trying to decide between the two. If you are the owner of a 23 or know who is, can you have them reply with a report on how they like the 23.

There is no significant weight difference.
    I know- more hp is better- but with a canoe maybe not.
    Plus, the 23 is much more expensive.

Thanks.

would love to hear how the hudson bay does with a surfce drive, man that would run shallow! I have considered buying one for hunting season for my HB ass well

If anyone is interested in a mudbuddy, if we can order 6 or 7 at one time I will get a dealership set-up through my company and we can all get them at cost.
    just a thought.

Hey grit. I am in Whitehorse now as well and I'd be interested enough to ask about price. I almost bought one of these motors in Hay River for my HB.

Check out posting #253 on the hudson bay threads for my input.

great post on the mud buddy.Are they as good on fuel as the honda 20? Do you trailer your HB with the mudbuddy on, or is that a bit to much transom weight.Sure would be nice to run my HB in 4"-5" of water

I went back and re-read kandik's #253 posting. And, I gotta say, he's about convinced me. I've already decided to replace my 19' Grumman and Wenonah cata-canoe hunting rig with a Hudson Bay. The Wenonah Kingfisher will still go along, but upside down covering the load.

From what I've read, seems it would be a sound idea to dismount the motor while trailering a HB in order to protect the transom from noted flexing under stress. With a 166# Mud Buddy, mounting and dismounting would be a serious chore, particularly if singlehanded. I know there is a solution, just have to devise it. The Mud Buddy sure isn't a "portable."

The one boat using a surface drive motor I've seen and HEARD out in the Minto Flats was the loudest, by far, I've heard since they banned airboats from hunting out there. Are there ways to quiet it down somewhat? It was vastly louder than my 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha at full throttle. Still, the surface drive may be the way to go. And I'm convinced that the Hudson Bay is best for what I do.

In response to Rick and Grit //
    Regarding fuel economy: Refer to my listing #12 under Sq. sterned canoe "fuel mileage". My 18hp s.d. gets the same or
    a little better mileage than the honda 15's I used for years. The posting gives exact mileage I got using a gps.
    Loudness?: I loath airboats mostly because of the noise.I would never go into the wild lands in any boat that disturbed the
    peace like that.I sat in the front of the H.B. when John Klingel took my boat for a test drive. The noise was very mild without
    ear protection.This fall when I put up the boat for the winter, I ran the motor @2700 rpm and moved 100 ft. away.That's a good
    cruising speed for good mileage and speed. I was amazed how quiet it was.I assume this is what a pedestrian on shore would
    hear. The surface drive companies make 45 hp 's with fancy carb's that sound like a harley on steroids. That's probably what you
    heard in the flats. These are certainly not in the spirit of freighter canoes.
    Trailers?: Of course the H.B. needs a trailer. I was determined when I got the mud buddy to never have to remove the motor.
    I was also concerned about the transom. My solution:I designed some simple steel trusses that I hired a welder to weld up for me.
    I then u-bolted them to my trailer giving an extension on each side that is a few inches above the bottom of the motor.I then ran
    a 3 inch nylon ratchet strap between them. The strap goes through a section of radiator hose. The motor bears directly on the hose and strap.The strap and trusses transfer the weight of the motor directly to the trailer.It seems to work perfectly.I've driven over
    the murphy dome jeep road to the chatanika a number of times and also to Circle and Manley a number of times.
    How shallow?: As I've said before ,if the boat will float the motor will push it full speed. How far the stern is in the water is partially
    a function of how you load the boat.One of the things I like best about the scott's is their buoyant sterns.It does'nt get pushed down to a ridiculous degree.If the motor is trimmed properly, there is virtually nothing under the keel line.But be carefull,it will run so shallow
    it's much easier to damage the boat.
    I hope this helps.

I visited Mud Buddy factory in Salt Lake city and looked at the surface drives a few years ago and watched the videos on them.
    at the time I was thinking about my inflatables never considering the frieghter canoe as a canidate.
    This sounds like such a great combo, the surface drive and the HB..
    good work and great idea on the motor support
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com