Thread: Ever see one of these?

Default Ever see one of these?

IMG_3109.jpgIMG_3108.jpgThis an old BB gun that was passed down to me when I was a kid,it was my fathers when he was a kid.It's a Benjamin Franklin model 340.I haven't had any luck finding any info on it.Hopeing someone can lead me in the right direction.Thanks

These are still made, although they have evolved in the way of the stock and sights over the years. Look up Benjamin Sheridan air rifles. Currently the model 392. A little more modern looking but essentially the same gun. I think they were bought out by crossman air rifles about a decade ago. Over the years I've probably seen several dozen like yours.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Looks like my first pellet or BB rifle from the later 50's.The one I had used a single pump for pressure
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

After a little more research I found what I was looking for last night (I'm not so good at surfing the web!)Thanks guys.

In 1902, Benjamin had bought up all the patents the St. Louis Air Rifle Company had owned and opened a new company named the Benjamin Air Rifle Company. The company was only in business until 1905, but in 1908, Benjamin and A. Wissler formed the Benjamin Air Rifle and Manufacturing Co. Benjamin continued to design air rifles, but increasingly he became interested in designing other machines, like vacuum cleaners. In the fall of 1909, the company went through a reorganization, with Wissler becoming president and secretary. Wissler died in 1926, at which point Aloys Peter Spack bought the air rifle company from Wissler's estate.
    The company continued to manufacture and sell air guns, making improvements to its designs and creating new ones, into the 1970s.
    The Benjamin Air Rifle Company bought out one of its competitors, Sheridan Products of Racine, Wisconsin, in 1977. In 1986, Benjamin moved all its production from St. Louis to the Racine facility.

In 1992 the whole company was bought out by Crossman.

The model 340s were made between 1969 and 1986.

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com