Thread: Who is already getting ready for spring

Default Who is already getting ready for spring

I know we have a long time to go but who is already getting ready? I am what is everyone going to do different or the same what worked this season and what didnt. Just something to pass away the time. Chris

im tainting some bait and shopping a new bow and a climbing stand.

This year, I may try a different spot, maybe closer to town. Driving 200+ miles every few days to check bait is expensive and takes a long time but I had quality hunting with no competition, so maybe not.... I am planning on trying a ground blind too if I ain't seeing many grizzlies. Popcorn worked good for me last year and will use it again next year but not using COB ever again. That stuff was a pain to clean up, would hate to get fined by ADFG. Also next year, going to shoot my limit of three bears if possible, not going to be picky on bears. Not just for predator control but for meat, I love black bear meat. Can't wait for baiting season, its so much fun, my favorite kind of hunting.

blasterak I know what you mean about bear meat it is some good eating if you do decide yive up your spot let me know my brother is coming up from ND and anthing I can do to get him a bear would be great I use my boat but driving doesnt sound so made. HAHA

I always start stockpiling bait right after christmas, Im looking into getting a new bow as well but kinda torn between 2. My uncle is coming up to hunt with us next season for the first time so im realy looking forward to next season.

what bows are you looking at geoff i have been looking at a z7 since it came out and now they have the extreme i guss the local shop just got a demo in so will prob go see what they have on monday. have any of you guys used the lone wolf sit and climb stand before any pro's or cons on it.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    blasterak I know what you mean about bear meat it is some good eating if you do decide yive up your spot let me know my brother is coming up from ND and anthing I can do to get him a bear would be great I use my boat but driving doesnt sound so made. HAHA
    What part of ND your brother from?? Killdeer/Dickinson is where I call home base.

He retired in Minot I try to see him every two years and hunt whitetails and birds

Im looking at a diamond ice man or the z7 my dad has the z7 and loves it. Im not sure if i want to spend that much though. Thats the real dillema.

yea it is a good chunk of change i figure without a quiver i will have about $1350 into it but it should be the only one i need for a few years.

got my ladder stand and a barrel I am going to try out this year it is a 35 gallon poly barrel with locking lid has handles for carrying and best of all was free

I just made my first bait barrel. I got a line on free food/donuts ect. I am looking at getting a tree stand and finding a spot to put my station. Hope to get one with my bow. And if lucky one with my 460v or muzzleloader. Time will tell my biggest hurdle is finding a decent spot.

Monthunter

Im moving farther to the east of 14A, saw a new sign or two moving closer to my spot this past year. gonna try two single treestands in the same tree for my boy and me (have a large ladder stand but too heavy to move around if need be) cant wait for May 1st (my bait delivery day) just got back from Lisbon north dakota hunting pheasants-happy times

I can't say that I've done anything yet for the season, but definitely thinking about it. Its been half a year since the last season already.
    I've got a number of ideas that I'd like to do differently, but haven't gathered any new materials yet.
    If anyone is interested, I've got two 30 gal plastic drums that I'm trying to get rid of. They worked out good this year and not too beat up.

I'm looking forward to next year and have changed things slightly from the way I baited and planned things last year. Here's part of my check list for the next few months to keep focused, beat cabin fever, and not spend money all at once next season (keeping the wife happy):

1) New bow - check
    2) Money for bait/fuel - baiting allowance set aside each month - check
    3) Building self contained scent burners for each bait - November
    4) Order new trail cameras - researching
    5) Order bulk scents/sweets - check
    6) Make own waterproof attractant scents - December
    7) Order 24' ladder stand - January
    8) Make black bear "Lolly-pop treats" - January
    9) Purchase Bait'Em 907 products for season - February
    10) Build up new reinforced bait barrels - March
    11) Order new trail cameras - March
    12) Go though old stands replace any worn parts or hardware - March
    13) Buy/Mix bait for the season - March/April
    14) Get the boat ready - April
    15) Get on the water - May

I'll be working on burns with the self contained scent burners all winter long testing out different amounts of scents and substances to figure out the optimum factors for the field.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I am starting to collect bait but havent figured out where to go yet either by boat or 4 wheeler prefer boat, want to set up a stand and harvest a bear with my recurve

Placed my order with Jess last week. Going to get some more trail cameras plan on having two baits this year. Already started to save up bait.