Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a vintage 200 lb cast iron wood stove from Texas to Wasilla?

Default Getting a vintage 200 lb cast iron wood stove from Texas to Wasilla?

Yeah this is gonna be a good one I already know. I got a beautiful pot belly vintage stove that my dad left to me before he passed a few yrs back and I'd love to have it here in AK at my cabin site to heat our soon to be cabin. Problem is it is in San Angelo TX and I live in Wasilla. I'm curious to see if there is a freight company that specializes in crap like this. I'll be back to visit in about a yr and I guess I could disassemble it and ship it and reassemble it once back in AK. It's alot of trouble but I'd be willing to pay the few hundred bucks to get it up here. I got alot of good memories w/ my old man sittin around that stove cooking on it and staying warm on those Texas winters. Any ideas would be great. I got a Cabela's 10x12 wall tent (70lbs) shipped to my front door for 19.00 thru UPS, don't know how they did it they did.

Thanks Billy

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    Yeah this is gonna be a good one I already know. I got a beautiful pot belly vintage stove that my dad left to me before he passed a few yrs back and I'd love to have it here in AK at my cabin site to heat our soon to be cabin. Problem is it is in San Angelo TX and I live in Wasilla. I'm curious to see if there is a freight company that specializes in crap like this. I'll be back to visit in about a yr and I guess I could disassemble it and ship it and reassemble it once back in AK. It's alot of trouble but I'd be willing to pay the few hundred bucks to get it up here. I got alot of good memories w/ my old man sittin around that stove cooking on it and staying warm on those Texas winters. Any ideas would be great. I got a Cabela's 10x12 wall tent (70lbs) shipped to my front door for 19.00 thru UPS, don't know how they did it they did.

Thanks Billy

span alaska if you can get it to tacoma washington
    Semper Fi!

Bulk rate due to size is what will drive up the cost.
    I have some slack time right now, I could run out and bring it back, just for the cost of fuel.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Biljack
    If you are going to go the Span Alaska freight route put this beast on a double strung oak pallet like they use for brick ect. Strap that puppy down multi directional.
    Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

I have Span do a lot of my pallet-sized shipping from all over the USA to Alaska.

Another vote for Span. Call them, they will have a way to move it all the way from Tx to Wasilla. I warn you that it probably won't be cheap.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

As said the most important thing to do is strap it down good in a strong box pallet, most freight companies will take it to Seattle, then it will be forwarded to Alaska, I sent a 4 wheeler up and it only cost about $1400.00, I used USF Reddaway, then they forwarded it to Carlile I had all the 1" plywood the box was made out of to make shelfs and other parts of the cabin. Think about anything else you might need from down south and put it in the box. Those old stove are worth the cost to get them back in use and able to use to tell stories over.

i had um send me 4 tires that weighed 800 lbs and were 4 x 4 feet and 7 feet tall when stacked, cost me 150$
    Semper Fi!

Billy Jack
    I used to install, rebuild fix all those old stoves. If you choose to take it apart keep in mind that you will cut or break about half of the bolts on the stove in the process. I do not believe it will cost you any more to ship it whole versus breaking it down and putting it on a pallet in parts. Depended on what type of stove it is just put it on a pallet and strapped it down. Remember to put some wood blocks under the bottom of the stove to support the ash tray if it has one. Doing this also supports the legs from the transporter when they pick it up or rough handling. Cast can get brittle over years of use so support everything if you can.

This will not be a cheap move for you but i do understand the memories that you would like to keep.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Hey Greythorn those tires wouldn't be for a panel van would they ?
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

Thanks Billy
    Alaska has alot of ground faults and quakes. Maybe just wait for Alaska to get where the stove is. Cost ya nothing then................lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Sorry, the dam Pabst Blue Ribbon's kicking in again.............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKevin View Post
    Hey Greythorn those tires wouldn't be for a panel van would they ?
    what panel van?
    Semper Fi!

Well looks like I'll give Span AK a call for instructions/details. When I get back to TX I'll strap it to a half pallet and start getting it up here. thanks for the suggestions. Billy Jack

Well looks like I'll give Span AK a call for instructions/details. When I get back to TX I'll strap it to a half pallet and start getting it up here. thanks for the suggestions. Billy Jack

no problemo BJ
    Semper Fi!

check craigslist sometimes somebody is hauling a trailer up here and will pick up stuff to throw on thier load
    I shipped a set of 65" moose horns up here from the midwest for $100 (?)
    way way way cheaper than going commercial
    actually I think I found that guy here on this forum

You might want to post on the "relocating to Alaska" forum. There could be someone driving a large vehicle up who wouldn't mind a little help with the gas bills. Even if you had to pay shipping to get the stove to their location it could be much cheaper than shipping all the way up here. I did that with an aircraft windshield. I paid to send it from the East Coast to Wisconsin then a friend who was bringing a trailer up took it the the rest of the way. Saved several hundred dollars....Louis
    Louis Knapp

This summer I am driving a vehicle up from Texas to Kenai and will probably have room on trailer for stove. I am only few hours from San Angelo so I could go pick it up a week or two before I leave. Send me your email and I will get in touch with you.

well YEEHAW that gonna work out nicely!
    Semper Fi!

Makes me kick myself for selling my beautiful parler stove I had.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast