Thread: Beginner Muskrat Question

Default Beginner Muskrat Question

Hello, Just trapped my first muskrat... woohoo! One silly question that I didn't notice answered in any of the skinning videos... is it better to skin them while still wet out of the trap, or is it better to let them air dry first, then skin? Even though it's the maiden voyage on them, I want to do it right from the start to minimize sloughing.

Thanks for the input!

I have always towel dryed and then skinned them while they were still warm if possible or as soon as possible anyway.

Thanks... successfully boarded.

Supporting Member

If they are still damp and you want to skin them right away, roll them around in the snow and it will suck most of the moisture out of the fur. Another option is an inexpensive hairdryer to finish what you started with the towels. If you do skin them and the fur is still damp, make sure you get enough air flow to the inside (assuming you are boarding them fur-side in) so you don't develop a mold issue, or worse yet, rot. Just my 2 cents on the subject!

I like to roll them in snow,then wrap in newspaper,they seem to dry pretty fast,then comb them out some and skin.If you use a hair dryer be sure you dont singe the hair.