Thread: Bird dog trainer?

Default Bird dog trainer?

I have a 2 yr old black male that has some hunting exposure. He's still pretty uneducated due to my own fault I'm sure. Just need a few problems fixed. I would train on my own but during the summer months I work 14hrs. Come fall my schedule slows down and I'd like to go bust birds. I want his problems fixed by then. I'd ship to a trainer in the lower 48 but I'd like to see my dogs progress. Just can't do that when the dog is down there and I can't afford to travel that much.
    I was told about Greatland kennels but I can't seem to have luck reaching them. I was told they are not doing it anymore.
    Another friend of mine told me that there was another in the valley but he didn't know the name.
    Any ideas appreciated.

Default Water Dog

This is a good book, worked for me, and my golden had a late start as well.

Default Trainers

PM Sent.

I don't think Steve is operating Greatland Kennels anymore. The other one in the valley is probably Wetland Retrievers. I've recently seen Baron start posting here, so you may be able to contact him through ODD. I believe he's using Wetland Retrievers as his handle.....look through the waterfowl forum and you'll see a few posts from him. He also has a webpage i believe. Another trainer (in the Fairbanks area) is Tom Simpson who also does a pretty good job.

What are you thinking you'd like the dog to be able to do? What level of training/performance are you expecting out of the dog?

get a collar a leash and a book, work him a bit on the weekends. A good dog will follow his nose, you just need to teach him what it is he needs to smell. sit stay fetch whoa those are all commands you should have in any dog, but in a field dog if you have those you are on your way to a decent hunt, it gets a lot better after a few years.

Tom Simpson of River Run Kennels in Fairbanks is a very solid trainer and nice guy. His rates are reasonable and he can do anything from basic obedience trainging to professional level field trial work. He is featured in Jim McCann's Alaska upland bird hunting book.

I don't know if this will help but I ran into a guy at the Sportman's Show last year and we got talking about dog training. Try calling Gary Thompson at Falcon Ridge and ask about dog training. 907 376-6714. He was with the guy I was talking to but his is the only number I have.

Default Looking for trainer

Thanks for your replies. I find it interesting that lower 48 trainers come up here to train. But thinking about it. That trainer is probably on vacation as well and will be driving all over. Don't want to have to chase him or her down. I like the idea of having him at one location so my family can visit.
    I'm not looking for competition training. Just to not run out chasing them before I shoot and bring the birds back, all the way back. He does fine but I'm tired of having to get out of the boat or blind to get the bird from him.
    I'm in Anchorage so I'll try locally first. I'll try looking up Wetland and Falcon ridge.
    Other info is appreciated.

Default Training

I am not sure of the problems you want cured exactly, but it sounds like you could do much of it yourself. As someone said earlier much of the basics can be done in your backyard by spending 15 minutes a day. There are lots of books and videos that can give you information. If you are in Anchorage or the Valley there is the Midnight Sun Retriever club. Members of this club may be available to spend time with you. I know I learned a ton from going to training sessions with others who had a clue. I know a few people and we plan on getting together to work our dogs together. Some things you will definitely need help with, throwing multiple marks, stretching your dogs distance beyond your throwing capcity etc. I know a few people who are planning on training together and you are welcome to join us. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Default Clarification

Just to claify, Tom lives in Fairbanks and spends 3 months or so in the Lower 48 during the winter. The dog training gets pretty tough up here in sub zero temps and 3 feet of snow (lol).

Default DIY

Oh, and I'll second the suggestions above that alot of it can be done yourself and the local retriever clubs are a good place to start. As mentioned above, there is the Midnight Sun Gun Dog Club, as well as the Retriever Club of Alaska, and the Alaska Working Retriever Club. I believe at least on of the latter clubs offers a winter training class. Most likely meets once a week (Saturday?) and teaches you how to train the dog.

I also just saw Last Frontier Labs response on the waterfowl page. The trainer she uses does come up from the lower 48. They have the opposite problem.....it gets to hot down there for any serious training. Anyway, he is a very good trainer.

Good Luck

Default Wetland Retrievers

I found Wetlands website and I gave them a call. I spoke with Baron about "Chips" training. He seemed very knowledgeable and told me about the different training programs he has. He invited me to come out Saturday and watch him train with some other clients of his. He'll look at "Chip" as well. I'm looking forward to this. Can't wait til tomorrow.

Default Training

Just filling you in about my visit.
    His place is way out on the Palmer-fishook.
    I thought I knew a lot about dogs. Now I know I have a lot to learn. This guy has just under 40 dogs running in the same yard. I have never been in a yard with so many retrievers (or dogs for that fact) just put together like that. He can make them silent by a stern look and a wave of his arm. They all just sit there panting and wagging. Most were running around with these big plastic balls in there mouths. I asked him how can he do that. Baron said it is a matter of establishing yourself as the pack leader and being consistent with obedience. That's how he maintains control of that many dogs. At first I thought he was nuts until he actually took control of them. There were several different fenced yards and a long barn like building that he explained he uses to seperate them.
    He then loaded a few retrievers into a truck and I followed him to the training area he was using. There were five other people there. Baron set up piles of training dummies in different locations in a T pattern. Each person would send there retriever to each pile by hand signal. They would sit the dog in the center and then give a directional que to tell the dog which pile to go to. I've read about stuff like this in books but I've never seen it used until now.
    After working with "Chip" for about 10 minutes Baron said that he can work with and that he had god potential. Whew !! I'm glad. I'm siked especially if he can get him to do what these other dogs were doing. I had no idea what these dogs are capable of learning. I plan to meet with him again and maybe pick a time to set up his training.
    Baron, too, told me about the retriever clubs. But due to my work schedule during the summer I just don't have the time to focus on my dogs training. I just want his problems fixed before next hunting season if not learn a few other things along the way. I would probably miss the clubs traiing going on. I'd be at work. I couldn't train by myself, that's how he got screwed up by me to begin with. LOL It's kinda funny to think I'm sending my dog to school.

No doubt Baron should be able to get your dog into top hunting form. The one thing to remember, is that its a constant work in progress. You should pay close attention and learn as much as you can. You'll have to maintain all his new skills.

Have Fun!

Default phone #

Anybody have a phone # for river run kennels (tom Simpson)?