Thread: Pics, stories, from first week of trapping

Default Pics, stories, from first week of trapping

Ended up catching a wolf (pup), thought he was a loner wolf but ran into the largest wolf pack (fresh tracks) I've seen here in years yesterday, five or six sets of tracks, so maybe he wasn't alone. Here it is on the stretcher:

He's only about five and a half feet long. Nice pup fur though.

We had a nasty spell of warm weather middle of the first week of the season, along with some heavy wet snow that caused most all of the open leads to pump out water...this is what I ran into shortly after leaving home:

Hard to tell but just up ahead on the left is open water, and dark spot to the right is open too but shallow, really didn't feel comfortable this day as many of the open leads had rotted out and was hard to tell where it was all overflow just what was solid underneath and what wasn't.

Was trying to make it farther upriver to set more line but got stopped here:

On the way back, crossed the river over to a side creek where I had a marten bucket set with a "protection" set underneath it (an old #2 double longspring), was a mix of glare ice and overflow right there and forty yards from the set the dogs freaked out and I saw a big blur of brown and I barely got them stopped and set the hook into the ice and water, major bad scene with dogs barking and biting their lines and one of the largest wolverines I've ever caught, really pissed off! And I had forgot to bring the little takedown Rossi .17HMR I normally carry in the sled.

That wolverine was just lunging at us all and growling, really don't think any animal is scarier than a pissed-off Gulo Gulo, and I couldn't tell how well it was caught either. I finally got the dogs dragged away and we went back home, came back with the .17HMR the next morning early to dispatch that guy. The camera died right when I tried to get the first pic that morn, so no pic of it in the #2, but turned out he was only caught by one (front foot) toe!

Here's a pic of me working on one of the paws:

He was pig fat and it's been a real chore fleshing him out, beautiful hide.

...continued next post.

Wow, quite the adventure Mark.

Wow, Mark, sounds like you really lucked out that he was still there the next day!! 1 toe in a #2 DLS??? Holy cow..I guess even the most experienced of us forget our trapline tools once in a while!!

Nice pics and stay safe on that shelf ice!!!

Only one marten so far:

This is one of those new (smaller) buckets, and I don't think they are gonna work out, don't like these shoulder catches as it tends to hurt the fur. I may do something like Mike (martentrapper) suggested and use some conibear holders nailed to tree under the bucket.

This is one of those "set on sign" type of sets, a little cubby set where a marten had just laid down some fresh tracks:

Just a bucket and 120 coni in there.

One last pic of coming home yesterday, broke trail farther downriver in prep for getting to a downriver trapping cabin. This is at the bottom of what we call the "mini gorge," a nasty riffle and real deep, wouldn't want to fall in there!

Dogs are getting in shape, today is wood hauling day for them and me.

FWIW, anytime you put the rear jaw on a coni against something "solid", that 120 is gonna jump out and make a suitcase like your picture shows...personally, I like the double jaw catches, but then again, I am usually able to take the marten and trap back home with me to thaw it...without fur damage...

dk, I most always bring back the marten and coni too, unless it's just caught and not frozen. Which is one of the downsides of using the conis, you have to carry so many extras with you all the time. But I still will sometimes get fur damage from those double jaw catches, depends how the trigger hits them. And roger on the 120s jumping out if they are on something solid, was hoping there was enough room in these smaller buckets that wouldn't happen too bad, but doesn't look like it.

I hear you on the triggers causing damage. Last year I set a couple using conipans made out of election sign material thinking it would prevent any fur damage from the trigger. I have caught one with those pans and it was one of the very few that I've had with fur damage..

I've been using plywood boxes and mailbox tubes, but I only run a short line so transporting them isnt an issue. Although I do have to pull them all at seasons end or the brownies will destroy all of them over the summer...

What are you using for wolf traps? Snares? That wolf pup looks like its fully prime from the pic. Good job and thanks again for the pics!!

Have some #9 Mannings for wolf traps, prefer to use snares. But I caught the pup in a #9.

Bushrat,
    Sweet pics and narrative. Please keep us posted with both in the future. I am learning alot by looking at your threads and using your techniques and ideas in my neck of the woods.
    Thanks,
    BK

A buddy of mine and I headed north of the Valley and set up some snares and conibears for the weekend, and had little luck.
    O well, It was a beautiful weekend and we had some fresh powder. Gotta love AK.

Mark,
    Thanks for the great stories and pics! I'm unable to get out and about like I wish so to me they are as fun as reading stories about guys like Marty Meierotto, and Steve Mahay!

Keep em coming!
    Thanks,
    Zach
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!