Thread: Ice Shanty Floor?

Default Ice Shanty Floor?

Fellow forum folks,

This will be my 2nd year on the hard water, and we are considering building a plywood floor for our Killzone 4 man shanty. I've looked online for similar setups, but have found very few pics/designs. The idea for the floor is to essentially act as an insulator between our feet and the ice, hopefully increasing the temp. inside the shanty and also increasing our time spent fishing! We always use the Buddy heater inside our shanty, but it's not exactly t-shirt comfy in there either!
    I'm thinking of using plywood as the "floor," and then cutting round 10" holes (probably 4) to be used for fishing. I'd like the floor to fold up (to fit nicely into the sled), so it'll probably need hinges of some sort......if they freeze outside after getting wet/slushy is another question.
    FYI: the shanty is 6'x6'. Here is a link to it:
    http://www.amazon.com/KillZone-Igloo.../dp/B002ZUBEYE

Anybody have a similar setup or have any grand ideas as to what the best method would be?

Thanks, and tight lines!

How will you see the fish?
    Henry Bowman for President

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    How will you see the fish?
    Through the 10" circular holes I plan to cut out of the floor.

A lot of guys will use the big jigsaw puzzle type foam pieces and leave sections out where they have drilled holes.
    I think I have seen them at Walmart and other stores.

Like these ones.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Not a bad idea Drifter! Thanks. On the plus side, it's lightweight (way lighter than OSB/plywood) and maneuverable if fishing with numerous other anglers.

Perhaps I'll give it a try and let you know how it worked.

I had a similar one in Minnesota before I broke down and bought a clam, take 2 sheets OSB plywood, cut each to 3 x 6 and attach them in the center with a heavy duty continuous hinge, paint with Zinser oil base primer. You will be able to cut your 10" holes in each corner and even smaller 8" holes in between the 10's so you can sit in a chair in the corners. All you do is bank the shanty with snow and its sealed. This lasted me 4 seasons and cost about 20$.

Thanks lekanoff. You must miss the walleye fishing in MN eh? My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Voyagers National Park on a houseboat fishing for walleye and pike.....good times!