Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: 2011 Tier I + draw permit questions

  1. #1
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default 2011 Tier I + draw permit questions

    I am a little confused. If I apply for the guaranteed Tier I ‘bou permit, can I still put in for caribou and moose draws in other units? Will I nullify my Tier I if I put in for a 14A cow tag or a Kenai Mountains caribou tag?

    What happens when the court shots this BOG plan down--regarding the community harvests? I'd hate to do the guaranteed permit and not put in for other moose/bou permits and then have the courts change the Tier I thing around.

    Tim

  2. #2

    Default

    No you can not apply for any other caribou permits in the entire state and only allowed to apply for unit 13 moose permits.

  3. #3

    Thumbs up Crystal Ball Answer

    My Crystal Ball told me to put in for the Tier I Hunt.
    You can still apply for any Moose and Caribou Hunt you want. But you will be wasting your money, if they are in any other unit other than 13. You will be awarded the Tier I Hunt and no other, unless......

    unless you put in for the ANY BULL MOOSE Permits being offered. Suggest you consider putting in for the Tier I Caribou and any one of the Unit 13 ANY BULL MOOSE Permits being offered, based on your mode of transport.

    This is not a Bad Thing though. Where else can one hunt Moose, Caribou, Wolf, Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Small Game and Predators, with exceptional odds of a kill.....for a couple hundred dollars in fuel?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post

    This is not a Bad Thing though. Where else can one hunt Moose, Caribou, Wolf, Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Small Game and Predators, with exceptional odds of a kill.....for a couple hundred dollars in fuel?
    That kinda scares me with potentially 4,000 hunters being forced into moose hunting 13. Hope BOG doesn't decimate the moose pop in 13.

    Thanks for the clarification 'lanche & res.

    Tim

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    My Crystal Ball told me to put in for the Tier I Hunt.
    You can still apply for any Moose and Caribou Hunt you want. But you will be wasting your money, if they are in any other unit other than 13. You will be awarded the Tier I Hunt and no other, unless......
    According to the permit hunt supplement, you are not elegible for ANY caribou draw hunts if you apply for the tier I permit, and that extends to the entire household. As Akres said, you can still put in for moose draw hunts in unit 13 though as can the entire household.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    That kinda scares me with potentially 4,000 hunters being forced into moose hunting 13. Hope BOG doesn't decimate the moose pop in 13.

    Thanks for the clarification 'lanche & res.

    Tim
    I ain't skeeerrred one bit. It is going to be grand for the first couple years of the New Way. Last year was Great, and I expect this year to be even better. Everyone I know, did extremely well on the moose in Unit 13. Last season, as I was stopped at a potty break, two ladies from Glenallen stopped and talked. One of them was surnuf a hunter. She asked why I would come all the way up there to hunt moose. I explained the law to her and how I had no choice but to hunt moose there, if I wanted to hunt caribou there. She had no idea how it works. She also didn't have any idea that a BOG exists. She and many like her live their lives in a fog. They don't actively particpate in the process, until opening day of hunting season. Not good enough for me. If one cannot/doesn't shoot a moose up there, people like her will derive benefit from the BOG's actions. The BOG needs a reality check and this is probably the very best was to send them a message. I will continue to play by THE(ir) RULES. No Problemo. The state has spent way too much money and effort building the herd to have it exploited by the ones that have done little or nothing in making it happen. Take a look at the Archives in this very forum. All the hunters that put forth any effort at all, did extremely well. Looking forward to more successful posts this coming season.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If one cannot/doesn't shoot a moose up there, people like her will derive benefit from the BOG's actions. The BOG needs a reality check and this is probably the very best was to send them a message. I will continue to play by THE(ir) RULES. No Problemo. The state has spent way too much money and effort building the herd to have it exploited by the ones that have done little or nothing in making it happen. Take a look at the Archives in this very forum. All the hunters that put forth any effort at all, did extremely well. Looking forward to more successful posts this coming season.
    Res, Your exactly right! We have both seen the moose drought up there since the 2 brow tine days. Finally its coming back and now by playing the BOG's rules, I figure unit 13 has another 1-2 years of productive moose hunting and it will be time to move on to greener pastures again.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I wonder how many hunters will apply for the guaranteed permits under the Tier 1 and community harvest programs. If a large number of hunters apply (10,000 plus) will the hunt turn into basically a 5 day registration hunt that is closed by EO when the harvest quota is met? Will the Nelchina caribou drawing hunt permits fall under the same EO? It would stink to get a drawing tag, wait until September for the bulls to be out of velvet, and then have your tag taken away by EO.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Res, Your exactly right! We have both seen the moose drought up there since the 2 brow tine days. Finally its coming back and now by playing the BOG's rules, I figure unit 13 has another 1-2 years of productive moose hunting and it will be time to move on to greener pastures again.
    NR,
    Yep, lucky for those that participate in forums like this and at formal hearings, etc, know the deal and will reap the bounty, while it is avialable. Those that choose to remain ignorant and uncaring will suffer the consequences. Last season everyone I know had multiple opportunities to kill a moose. Took me all of 15 minutes of actual glassing time, on the day I got serious. Unit 13 and 20 are the Crown Jewels of Moose Hunting. Being able to see the moose from miles off and deciding which one you want to kill, is magical.

    I resent the way the BOG is attempting to manage hunters through intimidation and coersion. Hunters are obligated to stand up to that challenge.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NJF View Post
    I wonder how many hunters will apply for the guaranteed permits under the Tier 1 and community harvest programs. If a large number of hunters apply (10,000 plus) will the hunt turn into basically a 5 day registration hunt that is closed by EO when the harvest quota is met? Will the Nelchina caribou drawing hunt permits fall under the same EO? It would stink to get a drawing tag, wait until September for the bulls to be out of velvet, and then have your tag taken away by EO.
    I predict there will be NO harvest in the Draw Hunt. The guys putting in for that, are wasting their first choice and their money. The number of Tier I and Community Harvest (if allowed) will exceed the allowable harvest numbers. It won't take 10K to do this.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    13

    Default

    AKres...Whats your prediction for the number of days the hunt will be open if "guaranteed" permits are given to all eligible Tier I and community harvest applicants. May not be worth putting in for the Tier I hunt either.

  12. #12

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by NJF View Post
    AKres...Whats your prediction for the number of days the hunt will be open if "guaranteed" permits are given to all eligible Tier I and community harvest applicants. May not be worth putting in for the Tier I hunt either.
    You will be afforded the entire time allotted for the hunt. The local bio's do not have the audacity nor desire to take that monkey on, in even suggesting a subsistence or community harvest hunt be curtailed thru an EO, with a Permit Hunt looming in the background. What hunters can do and need to do to stem the possibility of this type of stuff happening, is to NOT send in your Permit or Harvest Data, until the last day of their deadline imposed on them, by the conditions of the hunt. Leave them twisting in the wind....standing around wringing their hands waiting for the mailman to make his delivery....like they are quite willing to do to you. Snail Mail your returned Permit or Harvest Tags. They don't electronically provide you with your permit, so you should not give them the benefit either. Don't let the cat out of the bag, until your back is up against the wall.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    That kinda scares me with potentially 4,000 hunters being forced into moose hunting 13. Hope BOG doesn't decimate the moose pop in 13.

    Thanks for the clarification 'lanche & res.

    Tim
    Selfishly, in the back of my mind, I say great! thats alot less competition in unit 14!!!

    I do agree it is foolish and shortsighted what is happening there in Unit 13...

  14. #14

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Selfishly, in the back of my mind, I say great! thats alot less competition in unit 14!!! .
    DK,
    You've got 2 years MAX, enjoy it.
    BTW: I have invited numerous family members up for next years Unit 14 Hunt. This years layoff, appears to have created a surplus that now need culled. I can't hardly stand by and watch 'em die of old age. Sorta my own version of a Community Harvest, but this time, in my own backyard.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Judging by what I saw this year (ie cubs, wheelers, and shots) I dont think the Unit 13 rush affected my area too much in 2010, lol.

    Maybe next year will be better. Then again, when I find out where you live Res, your family will have some competition,

  16. #16
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Selfishly, in the back of my mind, I say great! thats alot less competition in unit 14!!!

    I do agree it is foolish and shortsighted what is happening there in Unit 13...
    I concur! Those hunting 14 and other areas might be smarter!

  17. #17
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NJF View Post
    If a large number of hunters apply (10,000 plus) will the hunt turn into basically a 5 day registration hunt that is closed by EO when the harvest quota is met?
    NJF, I was wondering the same thing. Do I need to be in the field opening day?

    Btw, (no flaming please ) when does the Tier I 'bou hunt start? August? September?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    You will be afforded the entire time allotted for the hunt. The local bio's do not have the audacity nor desire to take that monkey on, in even suggesting a subsistence or community harvest hunt be curtailed thru an EO, with a Permit Hunt looming in the background. What hunters can do and need to do to stem the possibility of this type of stuff happening, is to NOT send in your Permit or Harvest Data, until the last day of their deadline imposed on them, by the conditions of the hunt. Leave them twisting in the wind....standing around wringing their hands waiting for the mailman to make his delivery....like they are quite willing to do to you. Snail Mail your returned Permit or Harvest Tags. They don't electronically provide you with your permit, so you should not give them the benefit either. Don't let the cat out of the bag, until your back is up against the wall.

    I hope you're right Res! I agree with your idea about "civil disobedience" too, I think that's a great idea! Rep you if I could...

    My biggest fear is they'll turn Nelchina into a runnin' & gunnin' shoot 'em up like they have the 40 Mile. Though, I don't contend to have all the answers, that's for sure. Not sure what the right course of action is for either the Nelchina or 40 Mile. I sure am happy to get a Nelchina permit! No more whining about not having one since '85!

    Tim

  18. #18
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Finally its coming back and now by playing the BOG's rules, I figure unit 13 has another 1-2 years of productive moose hunting and it will be time to move on to greener pastures again.
    Could you elaborate? Are you saying we should expect a collapse due to the s/f/50"/4 tine rule? Or over-hunting?

    Tim

  19. #19
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    My biggest fear is they'll turn Nelchina into a runnin' & gunnin' shoot 'em up like they have the 40 Mile. I sure am happy to get a Nelchina permit! No more whining about not having one since '85!
    Tim, It already has! Have you not seen all of the negative reports here on the run&gun tier II hunt? This is what people asked for and now that's what we got. Keep in mind that I don't always get a permit either, but long time family members did and the hunt was a family tradition. Now its a suicide mission and one I will soon abandon.

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Could you elaborate? Are you saying we should expect a collapse due to the s/f/50"/4 tine rule? Or over-hunting? Tim
    Over Hunting and illegal harvest. All of the work that went into restoring the moose pop in 13 is going to go quick with all the new folks being forced into hunting the unit. By the time BOG figures out what went wrong it will be time to start over again. IMO there was enough moose to consider lifting the SF/50"/4 brow regs, in some fashion, for this upcoming season, now with thousands of hunters going to be flooding the unit that option is off the table.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Selfishly, in the back of my mind, I say great! thats alot less competition in unit 14!!!

    DK, get ready....It's starting to look like I commin back home!

  20. #20
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    We'll leave the light on for ya'....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •