Thread: Grouse calling

Default Grouse calling

I was hoping someone here might have a link to a video or sound file of grouse talking. I picked up a Primos chukar call, from what I have been reading chukars sound very much like grouse. I just need a few examples so I can practice mimicking them, and apparently my Google-Fu is weak.

Thanks for your help!

I have only once ever heard a grouse make any kind of noise (aside from drumming wings), and that was a ruffed grouse that my partner winged and my dog pinned down years ago. We were both really surprised because we didn't think grouse were capable of making any sort of call, but I'm still not convinced it was a "call" as much as a death knell. I've never heard a spruce grouse make any calls.

Birds that covey up or flock up (chukar, ptarmigan, wild turkey) call to alert each other to danger and to locate others after covey dispersal, but since grouse don't tend to covey up, there's probably not much need for calling. I have never heard of anyone calling in grouse while hunting. Do others have different experiences or opinions on the matter? Has anyone ever heard a grouse call?

I 'call' them routinely just using my mouth. If I flush a bird and don't see exactly where it landed, I will get close to where I think they lit then softly cluck (kind of like a chicken). Many times this unnerves the birds and they will start clucking back revealing their location. I have never heard of anyone locating them blindly by calling... Let us know if you find success!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

There a lot of Grouse in the Talkeetna area and I think Talkeetna Pat wants to call in animal not birds.

If you canít find a Grouse sound try recording one. The next time you hear them or just use what you have I would bet it will work. Come to think of it I recorded a bird when I was hunting; I wonder if it was a Grouse.

The reason most people donít hear Grouse/birds is they sound is not very loud and when they hear you coming they stop texting.

Interesting to hear you guys say that you have heard them clucking. Good to know, and I like the tactic of locating flushed birds. I always hunt with a dog so I guess I've just never heard it over the dog's noises. Ptarmigan calls can be heard from hundreds of yards away on still days, even over the din of my dog running around.

Grouse make noise alot, just not alot of noise. When undisturbed, it sounds like a "squeaky cluck" to me. The swivel joint on my bow release squeaks similar to a grouse, I've used that in a pinch to calm them a bit while I'm prepping for a shot...

For predator hunting, I wonder how loud you could broadcast that sound and have a lynx or fox buy into it? The volume of a grouse in real life is really soft and can only be heard for maybe 20-30 yds (by humans anyway ).....

I have hunted grouse since i was about 5, and they do indeed have a call. Not just an alarm cluck, drum beat or death cry. I used to watch young covey's of grouse before they dispersed in the early fall. When a brood was broken up the hen will use a very soft trill to call her brood back together, the closest I can describe it is as being similar to a dove. but not the same it is deep in the throat not the tongue. When I was able to mimic it correctly grouse would come at a quick pace straight to me. If I was off at all they would ignore me and become very silent. As the birds came in they would make the same trilling noise. I don't know if it worked on adult males but it seemed to be less effective late in the year once birds had fully dispersed and established their own territory.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Go to www.whatbird.com . You can hear any type of bird call in North America. Great website.

Awesome site Jack, just what I was looking for. Thanks for all your input everyone!

With out getting to technical if you can hear a bird @ say 30 yards a fox, lynx or coyote could hear that bird @ 300 yards depending on conditions.

We are surrounded by sounds 24 hours a day and our brain tunes out 99% of what we hear. A predator is not bombarded by sounds and there brain is tune-in to finding food. The next time you go hunting do not talk use only hand signals and be very quiet you will be surprise what you hear. It will also help to close your eyes hold your breath and put your hands over your ears making a reflector. After doing this several times, I realized the sounds I was hearing was birds laughing.