Thread: Snares, triggered or not?

Default Snares, triggered or not?

This will be my first season trapping in 30 years. I have never used a snare but I got/made a bunch of them. I plan on putting out a mix of sets today but I am currious. I have read that "the modern snare needs no auxsillary device" other articles show how to make trigers and dead falls, which do you use?

I highly suspect I'll find myself using a mix of triggered and non triggered, just dont want to waste time playing MacGyvier on every set if I am wasting time.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Supporting Member

I personally subscribe to the "K.I.S.S." (Keep it simple stupid) philosophy when it comes to my snaring efforts. I make all my own snares and have not found it necessary to get exotic with "add-ons". A simple lock of your choosing (I like BMI Mini-locks) on the right size of cable (I prefer 1/16" 1x19) when properly anchored (I use #11 wire anchored at least 4' off the ground) in a good location, will normally catch and hold most fox, lynx and coyotes that pass by. For larger target species (wolf and wolverine), I go with larger cable (1x19x3/32") and #9 anchor wire. When targeting otters, I go back to the 1x19x1/16" with two swivels in-line after the snare (due to the rolling action of the otter which will otherwise break your cable) and anchor with #9 wire. Otter snares are the only snares I make that I "load" for faster firing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    I personally subscribe to the "K.I.S.S." (Keep it simple stupid) philosophy when it comes to my snaring efforts. I make all my own snares and have not found it necessary to get exotic with "add-ons". A simple lock of your choosing (I like BMI Mini-locks) on the right size of cable (I prefer 1/16" 1x19) when properly anchored (I use #11 wire anchored at least 4' off the ground) in a good location, will normally catch and hold most fox, lynx and coyotes that pass by. For larger target species (wolf and wolverine), I go with larger cable (1x19x3/32") and #9 anchor wire. When targeting otters, I go back to the 1x19x1/16" with two swivels in-line after the snare (due to the rolling action of the otter which will otherwise break your cable) and anchor with #9 wire. Otter snares are the only snares I make that I "load" for faster firing. Good luck!
    Ummm....exactly what he said!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!