Thread: My Adventure on Ft. Rich

Default My Adventure on Ft. Rich

Today I decided to check Fort Richardson out for some hare and grouse after my classes at UAA.
    So I hop in my honda civic with my bow and some broadheads, and make my way to the main gate to get a JBER hunting card. Easy enough, the lady takes my picture, gives me a card and a map of the hunting grounds. Sweet.
    So along i go to the Recreational Hunting road, and i get within the hunting area range. I spend 2 hours walking around and then driving to different spots, covering about 5 hours of land. 4 hours go by and no grouse, or hare. The only thing alive is a few magpie, and one beautiful red fox that i caught a glimpse of as he dashed across the road and into a thicket. I didn't pursue the fox, thinking, "Hey, not today."
    So I notice how it was getting dark so i hop in my car, and drive towards the entrance until i saw another road that i didnt go on that i passed by earlier that day.
    So Thinking to myself, "One last road until I go," I quickly find that there was a lake called Otter Lake, and a bunch of cabins. Nothing I thought. So on my way back my car suddenly just dies.
    Wow. Just like that? So i try starting it, but nothing worked. So i check my cell phone- No Reception. Oh my god, i'm at least 2 hours away from the entrance i thought, and i didnt see anyone come in on my way back. So I turn my hazards on, and take my bow and start walking. An hour later i get one bar of phone signal. I call my Girlfriend to come get me with her truck. Great, she's at Uaa and theres alot of traffic, and she needs to buy a tow rope.
    I get back to my car, and it's 8p.m. It's dark as hell out, and i almost didnt see my car as i walked near it. So I'm still waiting for my girlfriend when i saw 4 dog like shadows moving. sweet, a quick hunt while i wait i thought! But holy crap these werent your average dog/fox/yote size, they were HUGE. That then i knew: Wolf. I stayed put and thanked God that they moved a different direction.

Part 2:
    Then I said wow, i hope they dont attack my car. Moments later, my girlfriend arrives, and we jump my car, and notice how my car doesnt move, so we hook up the tow ropes. A Howl. Not just one, but the sound of many. Close too. Holy ****, as my girlfriend jumped into the truck and i grabbed my bow. Not those **** wolves again. I gotta get outta here. I quickly clipped the last connection in the rope and i we gunned it out of there. My heart pumped so fast, and at 9:11 p.m, we were out of there. So, in essence, I learned a few things while small game hunting:
    1. Leave before dark falls.
    2. You are NOT the only predator out there.
    3. I am afraid of Wolves now.

lol, some hunter to be afraid of Wolves eh?

anyhow, i would love to hear on any similar events out hunting, or any other success on fort rich.

Gary

Can you not take wolves there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I was reading along thinking AWESOME this guy is about to plug one of those bad boys..... Then again I should have known better when he said...."honda civic"... <grin>

Jokes aside, sounds like quite an adventure! I hope you got the car fixed without too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    no you can't. Fox and coyote only. I've also run into that pack before on Ft.Rich and there's a gorgeous black one in the bunch. I've heard the conservation guys out there were starting a tagging program with the wolves. Anyone else know if this is true?

There are two packs running Ft Rich and they have one in each pack with a radio collar. I was moose hunting last week after the new snow. We walked old roads and saw a lot of wolf tracks, figured 8 or 9 individuals. We walked out at abouot 1:15 and grabbed some lunch and drove around a little. We went back and walked the same road in the other direction at 3. The wolf tracks were now over and in our tracks. Didn't see them but they were definitely in the area.
    The only time you can take a wolf on the fort is DLP.

lol yeah yeah, it was a really cheap car, and one i could afford with college bills lol. but anyway, i dont think my 35 poundage recurve could take down a wolf. let alone a pack...

and yeah, no wolf hunting aloud on base

Thanks for the info. Not being from down there, I didn't know! I thought I just read something that they were going to cull those two packs because of their aggressive behavior recently (and in years past). Eagle river couple had them kill their beagle and such.....Anyone else hear this? Why not let guys knock a few down, if there are problems. Drawing permit?

APD has been given the green light by ADF&G to take any wolves in the area since they have been getting pretty aggressive with pets and humans. I wish they would open it up to hunters....I'd love to don my whites and blow on my call a few times out there!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

you can make pretty good sausages out of wolf meat too.
    Semper Fi!

yeah, i hear alot about the packs on base attacking dogs and people. There's signs all over the place especially near the warrior paintball course about extremely aggressive wolf territory.

I live on base... would love to be able to hunt them here! Had a few friends see them in their back yard... nerve wracking.

Cool experience though, OP!

Judging by the story this spring where nearly half a pack was killed crossing ther Glenn in vehicle collisions, we might need a better count since the numbers are supposedly down, but we do have another batch of pups. Had the on pack stayed at 12 adults plus this years pups, at what point do we end up with a 3rd pack or more trouble.

I am sure they would move further back onto the park and concentrate their efforts on eating more of the already repressed sheep population anyway.

Heck with all the protected moose in the hundreds of square miles around Anchorage, one would think these wolves should be fat and happy. But then again, most of the moose hang out in town. I guess getting hit by a car is probably less traumatic than being chased by a wolf pack and slowly eaten alive over a couple days.

In case you didn't notice, I'm not very sypathetic to wolves and their cause. They really aren't cuddly Labrador Retrievers, contrary to popular belief.

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    Heck with all the protected moose in the hundreds of square miles around Anchorage, one would think these wolves should be fat and happy. But then again, most of the moose hang out in town. I guess getting hit by a car is probably less traumatic than being chased by a wolf pack and slowly eaten alive over a couple days.

In case you didn't notice, I'm not very sypathetic to wolves and their cause. They really aren't cuddly Labrador Retrievers, contrary to popular belief.

i would like to head shot every one of them!
    Semper Fi!