34 41.98%
  • 22-250

17 20.99%

13 16.05%
  • Other

16 19.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much gun is to much for fox/ lynx want to prevent pelt damage.

Default How much gun is to much for fox/ lynx want to prevent pelt damage.

Ok here is the question I am debating. I shoot a 22-250 pushing Speer 52 grain hp's Shot lots of yotes with it and little to no exit holes. A 223 shooting 60 gr v max. I have yet to take a predator with it. I do not want to damage the pelts on anything I take. I know for dogs either setup is good. I have only shot a few fox when I was younger and it was with a 22lr or my 22 mag. For those of you who have used the v max are they to much for taking of preditor? Will a fox or lynx pelt be overly hurt with the 22-250? How many of you have used the 17hmr? I don't have one but they look fun for smaller stuff. Just not sure it would be enough to quickly take harvest larger predators. Feel free to chime in on what bullet load / caliber you use and if you have had good success with not damaging he pelt tomuch.

Thanks

Monthunter

I shot a lynx with a .243 loaded with a Barnes 85gr TSX. Little hole in, little hole out.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I would think fer fox or lynx that .223 would be MAX...but then again there's people usin' 375 H&H fer Sitka Blacktails...

I use a 22lr for everything but wolves, head shots works fine, but I am not doing high volume predator hunting, I can afford to let it go if I don't have a shot I like. I've taken lots of fox, couple coyotes, and many other critters smaller than a yote over the years. but again I pass up shots too. Now that my kids want to run a trap line I am thinking 223 will be about perfect
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

I think a 223 is about as far as I would go. I have seen a few foxes shot with the 17 hmr. That is a great fox round. Zero pelt damage. I shot a fox once at an honest 300 yards, maybe farther with a 223 with a vmax bullet. The bullet just blew up on his outside. Not sure what the impact would be like if it was closer range. If it performs like the vmax in the hmr, id steer clear. I think it would make huge holes. Ive seen a lot of video with guys and 22-250's. To me it seems like a little much on the smaller animals. but then again, I think bullet choice is crucial. Steer clear of all the varmit grenade bullets. Just use nice solid ones.

223CAL is about as large as I go and have been shooting fox and larger with it for over 25years. Shot placement is always a consideration in anything that you hunt, distance, wind are always a factor when choosing a cal as well. I have found that the 223, 556 are still moving fine at 300 yd if you choose to reach out there on something. 22-250 will reach out there with a bit less arch but up close I believe there is a bit too much punch.
    I like the 17 hmr and have shot it a bit, I believe it makes a great close in shooter but when ask to take a longer shot in heaver wind i think there will be more drift that i would like to figure in for. All in all there is a lot of good cal's out there and I guess it rolls down to what you may want or can afford.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

For fox/lynx 17HMR, but would use a 22 Mag if I had one. I sold my 22-250 (Not opposed to getting another) and looking, probably at a .223 for its versatility for the rest of the predators.

On a side note: I have always wanted a .17 Rem. and I have been kinda looking for one lately.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Waterwolf I two have had a soft spot for the 17 rem. I think it is a neat round and allways wanted one. But they are hard to find and like
    sweetpint said the wind pushes those light 17 cal bullets a lot. Hence I have been kicking the idea of getting a 17 HMR

Those who use the 223 what bullet / weight are you using? Like I said before my 223 just loves the 60 gr V max. I wish it would shoot ligher rounds but with it is under 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups it is hard to play around with different loads.

gogoalie you said "I would think fer fox or lynx that .223 would be MAX" What do you use? I am hoping to get out this weekend and test out my 223 and maybe pull out the 22 mag and call some stuff in to see how they do.

Feel free to chime in on the pole if you pick other. I would love to know what you use and how it has worked for you.

Thanks,

MontHunter

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    For fox/lynx 17HMR, but would use a 22 Mag if I had one. I sold my 22-250 (Not opposed to getting another) and looking, probably at a .223 for its versatility for the rest of the predators.

On a side note: I have always wanted a .17 Rem. and I have been kinda looking for one lately.

Don't use the Nosler Ballistic tips in the .224 size. Extremely accurate, kills like there is no tomorrow, but the holes they leave are freaken nuts. If you do use them it is for shoot and release only.

For me its the 223 WSSM . I love that round... the 55gr barnes VG are fur friendly if you slow them down to around 3000FPS. However they make i hell of a mess on the inside. 60-70 gr FMJ are plenty just keep the speed low like around 3500-3700FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by monthunter View Post
    Waterwolf I two have had a soft spot for the 17 rem. I think it is a neat round and allways wanted one. But they are hard to find and like
    sweetpint said the wind pushes those light 17 cal bullets a lot. Hence I have been kicking the idea of getting a 17 HMR

Those who use the 223 what bullet / weight are you using? Like I said before my 223 just loves the 60 gr V max. I wish it would shoot ligher rounds but with it is under 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups it is hard to play around with different loads.

gogoalie you said "I would think fer fox or lynx that .223 would be MAX" What do you use? I am hoping to get out this weekend and test out my 223 and maybe pull out the 22 mag and call some stuff in to see how they do.

Feel free to chime in on the pole if you pick other. I would love to know what you use and how it has worked for you.

Thanks,

MontHunter
    I use the .22 LR...

My son has a 17 Rem and he loves it it is a fun gun to shoot and drives tacks. For those of you concerned with wind drift it has to be a pretty stiff breeze to move that bullet sideways as it moves pretty dang quick not so sure about that on the HMR. By stiff breeze I am talking 15 -20 mph
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I think anything from .30 cal down is fine - bullet selection coupled with velocity is far more important than caliber. The difference in bullet diameter between a .30 cal and a 22-250 is only .078 inches (2 mm). I've shot numerous coyotes and fox with a 30/06 as incidental take while hunting big game, and have never seen major pelt damage as a result. I'm assuming this is because I'm hit them with a bullet designed for controlled expansion in order to carry through a large animal - as a result I get a small hole in and a small hole out with the small body mass of a dog. I've seen far worse pelt damage from using the wrong bullet (e.g. a 40 gr v-max) out of my old 22-250. The first fox I hit with a v-max from the 22-250 lost the far side ribcage and shoulder- rough on a pelt. I switched to 60 gr spire points after that and fared better. Just my $.02.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

For the smaller furbearers the 17HMR is about perfect, especially fox at under 150 yards. For coyotes and wolves the 223 and 22-250 are fine with the 223 being much better for fox. Fox are so fragile that they tend to pop like a balloon when hit with the realy fast expanding bullets. I currently use the 22-250 because that is what I have. My encore in 22-250 shoots very well with the 45gr Remington bulk JHP load and they are hit or miss when it comes to an exit wound on coyote, but would probably blow up a fox pretty well. I would like to try some of the barnes 53gr TSX bullets in it as it would make for a decent deer/predator load and hopefully not blow up the smaller critters too badly. It would also be neat to make a fast twist 22-250 for some of the heavier 70+gr bullets for long range use.

Just love the little Hornett
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If I could only carry one rifle ever again, it would probly be a Winchester mod62 .22M. pump action.

Buy far and away the best Fur rifle ever, and guarenteed no great pelt damage. Ive seen too many fist sized hole from .223s through Wolves and such myself to rely on one as my "Fur" gun.

For now I use a Romainian military .22lr, Cause its the most accurate .22 I own for Fur and such........countless kills from Muskrats to Wolves.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    If I could only carry one rifle ever again, it would probly be a Winchester mod62 .22M. pump action.

Buy far and away the best Fur rifle ever, and guarenteed no great pelt damage. Ive seen too many fist sized hole from .223s through Wolves and such myself to rely on one as my "Fur" gun.

For now I use a Romainian military .22lr, Cause its the most accurate .22 I own for Fur and such........countless kills from Muskrats to Wolves.
    It's funny. The people that take LOTS (i'll get over 100 fur bearers a year) of fur with a firearm like the 22s (I too voted for the 22M). My 22lr was the gun of choice till recently, and it too has taken everything from wolves to ermine. However, the Mag gives me that little bit more needed on a few critters.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Well I don't recommend the .416 Ruger. I shot a fox with it thinking that 400 grain Swift A-frame would zip right through without expanding--Not! Had an exit wound the size of a dinner plate. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Just love the little Hornett
    Ahh yes the 22 hornet. I allways wanted a model 7 in a hornet. Just can't find one for anything.

Or a browning micro hunter in 22 hornet. Has or does anyone have the micro hunter? How does it shoot?

I am suprized by how many use 22 lr. I know it is more than able with good shots. But I figured wolf wold be on the to big. That is unless it was in a trap. Thanks for all your inputs so far. I am trying to debate getting a new rifle or working up a new load for my current 223. From what I seen here the v max are not so fur friendly.

Might go with a psp 60 grain.

Mont hunter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast