Thread: Shipping ammunition to SE Alaska

Default Shipping ammunition to SE Alaska

I've got a question for you all that I hope someone can help me with. I just recently ordered some ammunition from the CMP for my Garand, and I found out today when they called me that the local FedEx (Juneau) "won't handle hazardous goods."

My only option so far is to have it shipped to my parents' in Washington, and have them ship it to me via Alaska Air, with a minimum charge of $35. It looks like they'll ship up to 66lbs worth of ammunition without charging the $50 surcharge for hazmat, but I'll have to talk to them to be sure.

If anyone else has a better option, or any ideas, please let me know. It may also be time to take up reloading.

Not that this is a better option (AK Air wouldn't handle any for me, had to go ground?)

AML in Seattle will do it for a $35 minimum. That is how most all ammo comes in (so get a lot).

http://www.aml.lynden.com/

Call them and do COD then just pick it up when the barge comes. Have it shipped in your name care of AML with their address (and yours on file with AML).

That's another idea I entertained briefly, but haven't looked into. From what I understand from your post, I could have the CMP ship it directly to AML in Seattle (with prior arrangements, of course), and then AML barges it to Juneau as break-bulk cargo.

This is definitely helpful information. It cuts out the middle man (sort of, anyway), and may be a bit cheaper, if a bit slower. And actually, on further investigation, it looks like to have my parents ship through AK Air, they'll have to get a "known shipper" contract set up, which takes 4 or 5 weeks, so this may be faster anyway. Thanks.

I was surprised at how convenient it was through AML. No hassle at all and very responsive to any questions or concerns.

Default Here Here!

I'll echo the "surprisingly easy" endorsement for AML. Tried to buy local, but nobody would come within $100 of the price (net of AML shipping) I could get in Seattle, so I had the Seattle dealer deliver to AML in my name.

As RainGull said, call AML in advance and when it comes to them, they send it to you. They're good.

Thumbs up

Well, it seems that AML has turned out to be the way to go. AK Air won't handle any ammo from my parents' hometown - they'd have to either take it up to Spokane or Seattle, PLUS they do charge a $50 "hazmat" fee, and you have to be a known shipper - an additional $50 fee. And there's a 66-lb limit.

Through AML, they'll charge a minimum freight cost of about $52, and that's for up to 140 lbs. This is actually turning out quite well - after I change my order to include more ammo, it'll end up about 3 cents a round cheaper than if they shipped it straight to me, what with extra AK/HI shipping charges. Plus, I'm already in AML's system from when I moved up here a few months ago, so I don't even have to set anything up.

Thanks for the great idea, Gull!

Glad it worked out for you, it's good info to have out here as well.

That FEDEX won't handle HAZMAT is BS.

CMP didn't want to ship via Air. When shipping via air, there are two documents necessary, one is the standard HAZMAT form, the other is the shipper declaration of hazardous materials that states the shipper has made sure it is packaged for air transport. Virtually every retailer in the Lower 48 will not fill out the declaration, and they will tell you every loopey lie they can dream up. I have had people tell me they can't ship ammo because the planes aren't pressurized and the primers'll pop out. I don't even bother with talking to flunkies who answer the phone. I just ask for a supervisor.

I know this as I order chemicals all the time for my chemistry classes at a local university. The best way is to have them shipped via ground to you. I live out in Bethel, all I have to do is have them shipped via ground to TGI Freight in Anchorage, and TGI Freight there repackages them for air transport.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Roger I have run into the same problem when ordering ammo from my Distributors. I order it and their computer system is not capable of connecting UPS Ground into UPS Air HazMat. So the ammo goes UPS Ground to San Francisco, gets on an airplane and comes too Anchorage. In Anchorage the UPS facility realizes that it doens't have air HazMat paperwork so it sits there until the Distributor sends them air HazMat paperwork. Then it gets on Lynden coming to Bethel.

Allen,

Just call Todd Clark at 522-3088 and set up an account (easy), and he'll get everything squared away.

TGI Freight
    4000 W. 50th Ave.
    Anch. AK 99502-1400

I had ordered a bottle of carbon disulfide for one of my classes, and I guess it is some nasty stuff, being spontaneously flammable in air and all, and poisonous, so it couldn't come here any way but by boat! TGI stored it until breakup then put it on the barge.

Thier fee is quite modest for what they do.

When I ship to Ketchikan I use Northland Serivces, they also bought out Boyer Barge Lines. Their shipping prices were better than AML and the service is equal.