Thread: Day 2 (Youth Hunt)

Default Day 2 (Youth Hunt)

I took Evan out this morning for his first duck hunt as a shooter. He was packing his new Rossi 20ga and shooting some Winchester Drylock 2 3/4" #4's. We had absolutely no wind this morning which doesn't equal great hunting on the ponds as the majority of the birds will spend all their time offshore on the flats following the tide line. The snow started really coming down about the time we left the house. About 45 minutes into the hunt I had to go out and wash the inch of snow off the backs of all the decoys. Luckily a few birds worked in for the boy and he was able to score! A big suzie was the first to fall victim to the boys smoke pole.

Nice work! I saw you guys out there when a double came it. Went down the road with Buddy and the mallards are skittish. No snow from 18-30 mile. This afternoon on the way back, the widgeon returned. Its supposed to blow on Wednesday. I'll be setting traps tomorrow. See you out there. Maybe go on a sea duck hunt next Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sounds like a plan. Just let me know when. I busted that double on widgeon just as Buddy's truck cleared the end of the pond. It was my only shots of the morning. The little man missed several other birds, but he had a blast anyway. He can't wait to go again!!

It's great he connected with a couple, he'll be hooked for life like the rest of us now.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Default cool pictures.. .what a great time

Man, you two or three did a great job!! Those are great pictures, it looks like you guys had tons of fun and heck a great first hunt to tell all his friends about wiping snow off the deeks... you can't do that in a video game.. HAHA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Just let me know when.
    If the ferry doesn't run on Monday, how about meet Monday at 0800 by the ramp near the Honda shop? Feel free to bring the little dude if he wants to go.

nice treestand camo on the little one- its my choice for winter hunting, too.

Are you using a mojo teal, I have one and haven't noticed a big difference from the mallards except I like the size because I hike into all my spots, but sometimes i feel the mallard would be more visibile. What's your opinion ring king, congrats on the boy's first.

Default sweet

I always like reading your stories and looking at photos. A buddy at work was in my office just yesterday talking about Cordova.
    At 12 odd degrees here, and this late, not a lot of ducks around locally. I've spent the last few weekends looking for that old lab of mine, and I need a break. Maybe I'll just jump in the truck with shotgun, camo, and dog and head out till I find wet water and feathers.
    Is there quite a bit of pressure around there to make the birds wary? Is there enough pressure to help move birds? Are new birds still coming through or is it the tail end of your migration?

Again, very fun to see those photos. The only thing missing is a good dog.