Thread: Struck out again

Default Struck out again

Okay, 3 strikes and i am convinced I suck at grouse hunting. Been out 3 times in a week for about 2 hours each time and haven't heard or seen a grouse. Couple squirrels, couple moose, but no grouse.

I was told on to look for areas where there is grit for them, but everything is snow in these woods, but it is tons of spruce. Would I do better down by a body of water?? Just asking because I am obviously in a spot where there are either no grouse or I am terrible at locating them.

(FYI, a week before the snow, I went out twice and spooked a grouse both times, so there was at least ONE there before.)

Not tryin to be rude, but a two hour hunt just ain't really puttin in no effort,, try one six hour hunt instead of three two hour hunts..
    Get a good quality bird vest or day pack, load it up with some good grub and water,then plan on spending the day, you'll hook up..
    Go just after a nice fresh snow,, snow don't lie!!!

I agree, everywhere around me that is a 2 hour walk was hunted out by mid October.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Okay, 3 strikes and i am convinced I suck at grouse hunting. Been out 3 times in a week for about 2 hours each time and haven't heard or seen a grouse. Couple squirrels, couple moose, but no grouse.

I was told on to look for areas where there is grit for them, but everything is snow in these woods, but it is tons of spruce. Would I do better down by a body of water?? Just asking because I am obviously in a spot where there are either no grouse or I am terrible at locating them.

(FYI, a week before the snow, I went out twice and spooked a grouse both times, so there was at least ONE there before.)
    Ak Explorer,
    You are getting out and hunting, thatís the lionís share of the battle. Sounds like you have been working the same place repeatedly. If so and you arenít putting up some birds then move to another spot. Lakeshores can be very good, dry river beds, trails, etcÖ A good six hour hunt is great and will probably produce something if you are in a decent area. Another option is to hunt an area for 30 minutes or so, if no sign or birds put up, move on to another area. With your determination you are going to find birds, just keep at it. The side benefit to grouse hunting on foot is all of the territory you get to know intimately in the process. As winter progresses grouse become more difficult to find as they donít move around as much. Sunny days, early morning or periods just before dark are going to be the best times to see birds moving around and actively feeding. Hang in there, once you ďget itĒ youíll be hooked.

Thanks. No offense taken. I just thought it was easier than this since this summer I saw them all over the place in the side and back of my house. There are acres of woods surrounding me, so I have just been going from like 3-5 or 4-6pm when I am done working. Haven't really ventured anywhere else. Like I said, I saw them so much this summer I thought it should be easy to walk back in there and get a couple. I could have hit them with a rock this summer and now I haven't seen anything. I will have to make a day of it sometime soon and see what I can find. Thanks!

The first two hours after sunrise will be the most productive time of day. I rarely find any birds after 4-5pm. They roost early and can be hard to find. In the morning they are active picking up gravel and feeding. You need to find a large stand of spruce this time of year. Be looking in the trees for them watching you walk by. Depending on how much traffic has been in your area, they may hold their ground as you pass 10-20 yds from them. Don't expect them to always flush.

What part of the state are you in?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I am in Wasilla, but almost to Houston. Meadow Lakes area. Everything I have been walking is spruce, but I haven't gone early. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

i feel your pain dude, I have been out so many times and only killed one. It was about a month and a half ago. I've seen a few grouse on the way to work around 9-10am on the side of the road, out towards hatchers. I've found a really nice patch of mental health land in wasilla area, has patches of birch, spruce and willows, seen alot of lil red berries, a few small ridges, but haven't seen a single bird in there.

AK Explorer, I can't be sure, but I don't think you suck.
    It will take time to find a few spots that consistently produce grouse, and even those spots will give none most of the time.
    If hunting were easy, it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding.
    I have read a few of your posts. If you would like, I can take you out to a decent spot. You would have to drive because my 4WD is in the shop. We will walk 10 miles and may or may not see anything. If your in, PM.

FYI: My best spots seem to be at medium elevations. Not too near water or the treeline, between 9-noon this time of year.

i feel your pain, i havent even gotten one grouse this whole season since october when i started hunting... I go to ft. rich alot, at least 6 hours a visit. its very painful, and im starting to feel like i suck too lol

Tailwind - thanks for the invite. If I can do it, I will PM you about hunting.

Gary - at least you know you're not the only one! Hopefully we both get some soon.