Thread: Floating the Whole Yukon River

Default Floating the Whole Yukon River

Has anyone floated the Mighty Yukon? I am considering doing it and would like any input from those that have floated(canoed or kayaked) all or part of the Yukon.

Thanks

We have canoed from the headwaters at Lake Bennet to the Dalton Hwy Bridge. This was done during 2 separate adventure races, the Dyea to Dawson in 1998 and the Yukon 1000 in 2009.
    We want to finish the river at some point, we have only 800 more miles to go!

Expect to paddle a lot due to head winds.

In various combinations, I've gone from Carmacks to Circle. If you're going to add several hundred more miles, my advice is bring a really good seat cushion and backrest! And some really long books.

I did Eagle to Circle in '97; my only advice is if your canoe is aluminum, bring your ipod, or some earplugs. The sound of glacial silt scraping the metal will drive you MAAAAAD!!!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Bottom line....I wouldn't recommend it,,,,,it's very boring...float a river thats clear and you have a chance of sinking due to rapids.

I think that the Travel Channel or Discovery Channel did a reality TV type show with a group of people who floated it several years ago.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Did you ever make the trip? I am thinking about floating from Eagle to the Dalton Highway bridge. Wondering how the water is beyong Circle. If you made the trip, would love to know your thoughts and hear your experiences.

I'm thinking of taking a Scout Troop from Dawson to Circle. I would appreciate any advise. I'm especially interested in river conditions and transportation from Circle to Fairbanks. thx

Dawson (or Eagle) to Circle is the the way to go...very boring below Circle....You won't hit a road for quite a ways past Circle....