Thread: Mono hull or Cat?

Default Mono hull or Cat?

I've tried to do a search with little results. I realize this is choppy water and I'm not trying to start any sort of war. Just looking for the upsides and down of both. It will be used for the inside passage. Say 28-36' and it does not need a trailer but one would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Depends on how much you want to spend. Cats are significantly more expensive. They are stable. When I was looking for a boat I considered a cat but went with a monohull due mainly to the cost. Also depends on if you want aluminum or fiberglass? And a boat that size will most likely be custom built anyway. A lot of the lodges up here use the cats for their stability and extra deck space they offer.

one negative, cant have single diesel on a cat. Mono Hull Single diesel. Big plus when you consider fuel. The 30' Bamf with a single diesel get's 3.0 mpg. Twin Mercury 300's 2.0 gpm. both cruising at 28 knots. 1.0 mpg is pretty signifigant when you consider range for long trips

I have a 31' Seawolf monohull, and I ran with a 30' Armstrong cat this summer a few times (FISHFACE on this forum). I think it all comes down to sea conditions. When we are doing 32kts in a 1-2ft chop, the cat is a much smoother and more stable ride. Flatter than this or a bit slower, they are both fine rides. When running into bigger stuff, like 5+ feet, I think the cat has to slow down a bit more so that it does not slam the flat part of the tunnel on the wave. He also has a bit tougher time at the docks when it is windy due to the sail effect, even though he has twin outboards and I am a single diesel. I run around 3mpg and the cat was less, but this is due to the twin 300HP outboards, not the hull design. The cat is a walk around cabin, so it is great to spread out and fish without tangles when on anchor, but it has a bit smaller cabin because of it. Both are great boats, just with different strengths. For the Inside Passage I think the cat would be a good choice since most of the time you will only be seeing some light chop, and it cuts right through this. Hopefully Brad chimes in here. I would be curious to hear his perspective on how they compare.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Mike,

I'm kind of limited right now with my internet access, but I sent you a personal message with some contact info. Jim nailed it on the head with the difference in ride, it's all based on sea condition and the ability to get the cat "out of the water". As far as efficiency, if you fit a cat with twin D-4 or D-6 volvo the economy is great, there is a boat in Seward for Puffin charters called Offshore Hunter( twin D-6 36'x12'or 13') and they do Montague and back with ten people with 3-4 mpg. The thing that the cat really shines at is being on anchor. Stays very level and doesn't matter how many people are on one side of the boat,it doesn't lean hard over like a mono. Each hull has its give and takes and there isn't really any wrong choice.

Brad
    Boatless

Thanks folks that's the kind of info I was looking for. As of now I'm currently looking for a place on the east side of POW. It seams most all cats are custom especially in the size range I'm looking at and yes they are more expensive. I would think with the additional material and labor would justify this no? I would prefer a twin even with a mono hull just for redundancy whether inboard or outboard. Saying that I've seen few cats with jet pumps. What advantage would this be?

Jrogers and Fishface, thanks for the PM's. When I think I find the right boat I'll be sure to badger you with questions.

Thanks,

Mike

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I run a 30' Munson mono with a single Volvo D-6. I concur with everything mentioned below. The builder of my boat told me the mono is a more seaworthy boat in rough seas. I've had it out in 9" seas and did alright, although I must say it wasn't fun. I went with with the builders dvice becuse I go out inthe Gulf a lot. Properly trimmed I can get the 3.0mpg mentioned. In calm ses the cat is much more stable. Another thing to consider is that if you are going to beach your boat the cat won't heel over like the mono. One last thing on power, diesel fuel is cheaper at the marine ful pumps.