Thread: Current Rex trail conditions?

Default Current Rex trail conditions?

My friend has a muzzleloader moose tag (DM 766) valid thru November. We need to get East of Tatlanika Cr to begin hunting. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has been out there by snowmachine yet or what the current conditions are on the Rex trail? Thanks.

Another member went back on the Rex 1 Oct hunting for a cow moose. He said that there was a lot of fire damaged trees that were getting blown down onto the trail. He recommended taking a chain saw and said that they had to cut trees on the way in and out, as high winds kept blowing them over. I was thinking about taking my Muddox out that way, drop me a PM if you are interested in some company.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Was wondering the same. My mother in law has a muzzle loader tag and they were planning in heading out on the Rex. They've been out there many times, just wondering what the snow conditions are.

Thanks Stid - I'd also seen that Rex report a while ago. I'm sure conditions are similar to what we have in Fbks - marginal snow and open rivers. Your Muddox is probably just the ticket for the current condtions! You headed out for a cow permit or just fun?

Just to see some new sights......

Steve
    Founding Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Thanks Stid - I'd also seen that Rex report a while ago. I'm sure conditions are similar to what we have in Fbks - marginal snow and open rivers. Your Muddox is probably just the ticket for the current conditions! You headed out for a cow permit or just fun?
    just got the Rex report ... similar snow as Fairbanks.. Snow go is hit or miss... first river is frozen enough for wheelers second is still flowing... gonna cause havoc on the the muzzy hunt like it did last year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks - we'll keep hoping for snow and frozen rivers.

Anyone go out last weekend? Trail report?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Anyone go out last weekend? Trail report?
    give us one when you get back
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Will do - might go this weekend/next week?

Probably no big surprise, but the snow on the Rex trail is melting fast! We went out on the 21st in marginal snow, set up a nice camp, only to have it rain all night and the next day. We chose to pack up and high tail it out of there while the gettin was crappy on the 22nd! So much for the much anticipated hunt. Most other folks were also leaving although one group was heading in, hmmm? Lot's of brown on the ride home and things got really wet and slushy near the beginning of the trail. There is less snow the farther you head East. So there you have it, a total bust.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like some awful conditions!

Looks like Stids MudOx would be the perfect vehicle for that trail under the current conditions!

10-4 on the Muddox - should have taken Stid up on his generous offer!

Northway: We ran into your relations out there. They were packing up as well.

Jpost, yes they said they met you! Funny how small Alaska really is. Yeah, they got out yesterday and stayed at the lodge and are driving back today. Who would have figured.

What do you think?? Time to petition the BOG to extend the muzzleloader season due to extreme weather conditions??

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Jpost, yes they said they met you! Funny how small Alaska really is. Yeah, they got out yesterday and stayed at the lodge and are driving back today. Who would have figured.

What do you think?? Time to petition the BOG to extend the muzzleloader season due to extreme weather conditions??
    Worth a try, I believe they extented the Musk Ox season for weather last year.

Steve
    Founding Member