Thread: BOG - Units 1,2,&3 Non-Res Black Bear drawing

Default BOG - Units 1,2,&3 Non-Res Black Bear drawing

Just heard through another forum that the BOG passed a proposal to make non-resident, non-guided Black bear in Units 1,2,&3 a draw hunt. Residents are uneffected.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Fantastic!.....about time someone woke up!

Just curious why this came about. Too many bears killed?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The tidbits I heard from the meeting had a lot to do with the population decline. One big factor that got tossed around was lost/wounded animals. They were able to estimate 25% unrecovered lost/wounded game as a middle ground for all SE black bear hunters with NR unguided having the highest rate. Units 1,2, & 3 will be divided into 10 hunt areas. 80% spring tags, 20% fall tags. The original proposal was #37 which was amended to #37A then passed #37B.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    The tidbits I heard from the meeting had a lot to do with the population decline. One big factor that got tossed around was lost/wounded animals. They were able to estimate 25% unrecovered lost/wounded game as a middle ground for all SE black bear hunters with NR unguided having the highest rate. Units 1,2, & 3 will be divided into 10 hunt areas. 80% spring tags, 20% fall tags. The original proposal was #37 which was amended to #37A then passed #37B.
    so this ONLY affects NON GUIDED hunters? Looks like BF threw his guides a bone...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

From what I understand the guides operating on National Forest land are limited in tags by the USFS. Here's the explaination I was offered by someone that knows.

The Guides are regulated to a certain amount of hunts by the USFS permit system. The Black Bear was capped by the USFS several years ago with no new permits and no additional Bears to existing permits. The quota for Guides was an average of past use. Based on hunters not dead Bears. So Guides are only allowed a certain number of hunters.

In some places the Black Bear Kill by the non-resident is mostly or all Guided hunts ... in most places the self guided non-resident kills out number the Guided hunter kills.

There is no set formula .. it will all depend on the harvest-able surplus number set by ADF&G in each area.

The object of all of this is to slow the Black Bear kill down and to address some of the field conflicts that are being brought to the table in many of the other Props. The largest number of Black Bear are killed by the non-guided non-resident hunter (in some areas).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i will be honest and admit i am not up at all on the SE issues. but reading the prop and seeing whats posted here... it would appear at least on the immediate surface that the Guides can be assured no vacancy from here on out...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hopefully Muskeg chimes in over here. I get forum names mixed up, the words I quoted were his from another forum where he goes by a different name.

Is this going into affect for 2011 or not until 2012? Also, are they going to have some kind of preference or bonus point system in place for unsuccessful applicants.

Tired of watching (The Nuge) run around POW on his hunting show may be part of it. Also nothing like haveing a guy in camo pop out of the brush at Anan creek bear viewing area and say oops
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by perchound View Post
    Is this going into affect for 2011 or not until 2012? Also, are they going to have some kind of preference or bonus point system in place for unsuccessful applicants.
    there are no preference point systems currently established in Alaska. though they do show up in the drawing books... the system has yet to be implemented in any fashion as of yet.. i received a second conformation of this from one of the F&G managers that cares for a herd the point system is SUPPOSED to go into effect over.

meet on face book here

From what I understand after talking with the biologist in douglas was that the population was being hit hard by non residents and residents in alot of areas but specifically places like KUIU island, Kuprenof. and the mainland like windham bay and port houghton. Alot of hunters would come up and shoot a bear on a party hunt( multiple hunters)and there was alot of evidence that supported a fair amount of wounding /not recovered animals. it is no secret that spring black bear hunting has and will likely become even popular, so the first step in management is to ax the non residents opportunity.