Thread: Greetings to Alaska - From Maine

Default Greetings to Alaska - From Maine

What are you guys hunting up in Alaska this time of year. In Maine itís white tail deer season. Iíve had bad luck so far. Some of us have fared better (you can see some pictures here, http://www.youhuntandfish.com/hunting/huntingstories/6, can't figure out how to upload them).

Iíve seen some great picks of beautiful animals (some kind of deer). I have to say they look quite a bit bigger than what we have in Maine.

Iíve always wanted to go up to Alaska for a hunting trip. When is a good time of year for it?

I can't seem to get the picture off the site directly. I'll get it up here later. It's a nice buck (eight pointer).
    Last edited by Joe Buck; 11-09-2010 at 10:00. Reason: picture

Do you work for ESPN?

Your Maine Whitetailed deer would make three of the Sitka Blacktailed deer we have. Thank your lucky stars you live in such a wonderful place. Lots of guys/gals head out of here this time of year to hunt what you have in your own backyard.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Haha, no ESPN for me. I have another name for that guy.

How much do Sitka Blacktailed weigh dressed? A really good white tail around here is 180lbs+. Average is 120lbs.

We're always told that Alaska is the premier spot for hunting and fishing. You guys must have something up there people are fusing about.

Here is that picture. This one isn't in my back yard, but it's pretty close .

Joe where in Maine ya from? I grew up around the Sebago lake area in Standish. Spent most of my weekends and summers up on caribou lake north west of moosehead, and hunted every fall on the family mountain near Limington chasing whitetails with my grandfather. Relocated to the Fairbanks area and now I enjoy moose and caribou every year instead of venison, though I do miss brook trout and turkey's. And fall up here is gone before it gets here. My family is still spread all over down there but now they have an excuse to spend half the summer up this way!!!
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Nothing much......

The Tundra is bare, the ice thin, and daylights growing less each day by 8 or so minutes.....For the daring and rich, theres Caribou passing, Fat Females among the stinkin' bulls, all grouped up and moving along to their wintering grounds......but the bare rock hard Tundra gives the best beatings right now, and breaking a ride before the season gets good aint no good..~~LOL!!~~ Willows seem taller this tima yaer too, cant just ride over 'em like you can when they catch the snow and bank it......

Got a couple Fox in the traps so far, guess thats something to do...
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Trapping opens tomorrow down here on the AKPEN. Gonna go out and sling some steel.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Trapping opens tomorrow down here on the AKPEN. Gonna go out and sling some steel.
    X2, then it's ice fishin time..

I'm in Buxton (right next to Standish). I'm guessing you went to BE to. Small world. I do deer and turkey hunting in Buxton and Hollis. As you probably know, it's tough to get a moose permit in Maine. But when you do get one you head up north. How do you like Alaska compared to Maine? How does the hunting and fishing compare?

What kind of fox do you guys trap in Alaska? Can you hunt brown bear? We can hunt black bear here in Maine, but they are hard to come by.

Ice fishing time is coming right up here to. As soon as the lakes freeze over.

Buxton ehh? I used to date a gal from down in that suburb of Portland country. Used to live on Highland Lake in Windham, when I moved out of Aroostok county for work.

The deer up here are small compared to the whitetail's in Maine. I grew up and hunted for 40+ years in Maine. Hunted mostly in these areas. Winslow, Freedom, Unity, Jackman, Moxie lake, and up in the county, Howe brook, St Croix lake.

The only thing up here that is bigger is the moose , bears and the guns we hunt with. In Maine you can drive from Fort Kent to the NH border in about 3 hrs. It takes four hours to go from Fairbanks to Anchorage.
    Although i do miss Maine and always will. I think after living up here for close to 20 years i may be getting close to my SOURDOUGH status.

[ It takes four hours to go from Fairbanks to Anchorage.]

So........which route do you take to make it to make it from FBX to ANC in 4 hours? Pay ANY attention to the speed limits? What am I saying - you can't even be seeing the signs. Watch out for that cop in Houston.

Joe - I've found that most of the deer I've gotten on Kodiak would dress out in the 120-130 lb range. I'm originally from PA & have a pretty good idea of what a 120 # buck looks like. On some of the other islands, the deer seem to be a lot smaller, where a 120 lber would be a giant.
    Gary

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    Joe where in Maine ya from? I grew up around the Sebago lake area in Standish. Spent most of my weekends and summers up on caribou lake north west of moosehead, and hunted every fall on the family mountain near Limington chasing whitetails with my grandfather. Relocated to the Fairbanks area and now I enjoy moose and caribou every year instead of venison, though I do miss brook trout and turkey's. And fall up here is gone before it gets here. My family is still spread all over down there but now they have an excuse to spend half the summer up this way!!!
    I don't know how to tell you this, but moose and caribou are venison.

That's crazy that a lot of you have ties to Maine. I do all my hunting in southern Maine, and it's rare to see a deer over the 200lb+ range.

With that said, I've been doing a lot of reading lately and talking with game wardens, and from what I hear up north it's not uncommon to seem them over 200+. I've even heard stories of 300 pounders.

I didn't have any luck during the rifle season, so I get one more week muzzel loading. We'll see what happens. 300+ is the weight to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Maine_iac View Post
    The deer up here are small compared to the whitetail's in Maine. I grew up and hunted for 40+ years in Maine. Hunted mostly in these areas. Winslow, Freedom, Unity, Jackman, Moxie lake, and up in the county, Howe brook, St Croix lake.

The only thing up here that is bigger is the moose , bears and the guns we hunt with. In Maine you can drive from Fort Kent to the NH border in about 3 hrs. It takes four hours to go from Fairbanks to Anchorage.
    Although i do miss Maine and always will. I think after living up here for close to 20 years i may be getting close to my SOURDOUGH status.

Ft. Kent to the NH boarder in three hours? What are you driving? It's about a 6 hour trip if you don't get stuck in traffic around Bangor, Waterville, Augusta, or Portland. I'm from Calais and have made plenty of trips from Bangor to NH due to working mostly in Mass and I have never made that kind of time. I know it's over 300 miles to Houlton from NH.

But on the bigger deer thing. I was home on R&R hunting and they tagged a buck in Bradford that weighed 278lbs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Out2Pasture View Post
    Ft. Kent to the NH boarder in three hours? What are you driving? It's about a 6 hour trip if you don't get stuck in traffic around Bangor, Waterville, Augusta, or Portland. I'm from Calais and have made plenty of trips from Bangor to NH due to working mostly in Mass and I have never made that kind of time. I know it's over 300 miles to Houlton from NH.

But on the bigger deer thing. I was home on R&R hunting and they tagged a buck in Bradford that weighed 278lbs or so.
    Evidently AK_Maine_iac, when he wants to travel, dispatches Scotty a day before, then is able to have himself "beamed up".
    Gary

Another Fairbanksan with ties back to Maine. I grew up n the County and spent most of it in Presque Isle. We have a hunting camp in the Island Falls area and have seen some huge deer come out of there but not to often. Many trips go by without a deer being taken in that area.