Thread: Went North - Successful again!

Default Went North - Successful again!

Took a little trip north of Anchorage and spent a week calling predators. We ended up bagging 4 lynx and 2 foxes in 4 days or hard hunting. We walked anywhere from 2 to 10 miles a day (according to the GPS) and had quite a few missed opportunities. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0342.jpg  
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

That is impressive results, congratulations.

Nice work. They look nice. You use e caller or mouth? What caliber do you shoot.

Monthunter

That is really cool. Congrats on the success!

I would love to know what calls worked the best? How many calling stands did it take to harvest those fine creatures? And how long was it before the animals came running into the dinner bell?

I wouldn't mind learning a thing or two from a successful pred hunter.

i guess next sunday i have to hunter harder.. nice. if you like share any tips i love to hear from a pro.

Thanks everyone. 99% of the time we used a foxpro e-caller with a lot of rabbit in distress or woodpecker in distress sounds. I use a .243 with 85gr Barnes TSX handloads. There is always the chance of running into wolves and I find that the premium bullets don't have time to expand on the Lynx so there is little damage. Additionally, the .243 bucks the wind much better than my .22-250. When it was all said and done we only took 2 animals at over 100yrds and those were Lynx at about 110yrds that climbed up a tree to get a better look at our call. Both foxes were incidental to road travel and harvested in accordance with the laws of the state of Alaska.

We stuck to the river bottoms and did most of our calling during the day. We would call for around 15-25 minutes, then walk a half mile farther up stream to the next stand. Twice we got up to find fresh lynx tracks from cats we had called in and not seen. I don't believe they will cross an open area in daylight under normal circumstances. We didn't do any night calling until the end of the trip. That is when we got the big tom. He came right in across the river and open ground to eat that caller.

I guess if I had to give any "tips":

1. Stick to the water. We had very little action away from the rivers
    2. Hunt in a group and set up in a triangle or back to back, lynx are sneaky little devils and they will come close if you are in thick cover
    3. Don't get discouraged when your sets are foiled; and calling in the same area of a missed opportunity a few days later didn't produce
    4. Don't get sighted in for 300yrd shots, that's why I missed a lynx on the first day. They are only about 4 inches from breast to back. "hold under" is a pain in the backside.
    5. Walk - I firmly believe that walking like we did got us to un-pressured cats

Viking,
    Well done ! Get yourself that Mojo woodpecker decoy. If you can stage it in the open near some brush, you may be able to pull the cats to the edge of the wood line. !
    PC gag in place.

Nice job but the lynx still look pretty red. Most of us that trap wait till Dec for them to clear and prime up. Just something to pass along to others wanting to harvest a cat...

nice job on some beutifull critters! thanks for the tips to. im heading out this weekend to hopefully kill some predators. i hope i at least do half as good as you do!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Nice job but the lynx still look pretty red. Most of us that trap wait till Dec for them to clear and prime up. Just something to pass along to others wanting to harvest a cat...
    You are correct, they are not quite prime. However, this was the only time I could get off work and we only want them for personal use.

Pretty impressive, nice to see you guys out there hoofing it and having success.

I am surprised lynx season is even open right now though that much farther south, cuz like Steve said the hides aren't typically prime yet. What unit were you guys in?

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Pretty impressive, nice to see you guys out there hoofing it and having success.

I am surprised lynx season is even open right now though that much farther south, cuz like Steve said the hides aren't typically prime yet. What unit were you guys in?
    Well, if I said I was north of unit 20 would that be enough?

Nicely done Viking, to your fellow hunters also.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Well done Viking! Great post. That is some high production. Have any idea how many total stands you made? I haven't been out yet this season as I've been waiting for it to get more winter like. I think this is the latest in a season I haven't been out. Some interesting info about the tree climbing cats. Are you sure that is why they went up? They hadn't busted you yet had they? Seeing lots of hare sign? Very cool.