Thread: Whittier tomorrow

Default Whittier tomorrow

Well, the weather forecast looks great for tonight until Wednesday. So, Me and a buddy ae planning on running to the north end of knight island to get a couple deer. Anyone else going out or been out lately?
    Boats name is Chasin Tail If you are out there give us a shout.
    Rob

Just wondering how the hunt went. I am looking at heading that way myself, only thing is this will be my first hunt in the area and one of the other guys first hunt ever. Any info you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at either going Naked Island or Knight.

WOW. Forgot I posted this. Well, the trip was a bust. Got to Whittier after a huge dump of snow. The plow crew cleaned up the ramp for us and dumped lots of sea water on it to wash away the ice. So launching was great. Water was the best I've ever seen all summer. Glass flat everywhere. So, we made it to the bottom of Culross when I realized I was slowly losing speed. Then saw the back of the boat filling with water and floating dry bags. My buddy emptied a cooler and began bailing water overboard. I cut the wheel to head back into the pass and back to Whittier. Once the bilge and bailing caught up with the leak, we realized we blew the expansion chamber gasket on my Sportjet 200 and it was pumping tons of water right into the boat. So, I broke out a wrench and tightened down the nuts and ran for Whittier. Made it back just fine, but missed out on a perfect couple days out hunting. I'll have the boat back together tomorrow and Hoping the weather turns nice again soon.

So, your question about out there. Can be beautiful and can be dangerous this time of year. Pick your days and add a couple extra for safety. Knight island is a good place to start, just be ready to hike thru the snow and search the thick stuff. I don't think they are all down at the beaches just yet. Ice at nighttime could be an issue as Culross pass was froze over a little when we went thru.

Default distance

How long a run is it out to knight island? Smallest boat you would recomend safely doing it? New to the state and really missing deer hunting. I didn't realize there was deer that close. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    How long a run is it out to knight island? Smallest boat you would recomend safely doing it? New to the state and really missing deer hunting. I didn't realize there was deer that close. Thanks.
    On a good day, I would say it is an 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on how fast your boat is, and that is to the north end of the island, the island is pretty long and I have never been down to the south end so I can't help you there. Boat size can really vary depending on the skill level of the captain. I think a 20 foot boat would be fine as long as you pick the right time and take no chances. Be prepared to wait out weather for a week or more, and make sure you have a good bottom to anchor in if you do have to wait out the weather.

I'd have to agree with Hoose35. I have a 20' Hewescraft adn have been out to Knight plenty of times. But I watch the weather very carefully. Maybe a little too much, but can that be possible? I usually make it out there in 1 1/2 hours on a good day. Once you get into the lower passage, you are protected a little and there is plenty of good hunting around there.

Weather dependent I am heading out next saturday morning to Knight Got to go back to work tomorrow and back next thursday I have not made it down there yet so I am hoping for some good luck.
    Robbentler when are you looking to try and go out again?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    On a good day, I would say it is an 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on how fast your boat is, and that is to the north end of the island,
    I know that is true for most pleasure boats, but I had to laugh. I'm looking at 5-6 hours to Knight in our boat...but it sure is a comfy ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I know that is true for most pleasure boats, but I had to laugh. I'm looking at 5-6 hours to Knight in our boat...but it sure is a comfy ride!
    You take a row boat out there?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    You take a row boat out there?
    Nah, just a commercial fishing vessel that cruises at 9 knots. What we lack in speed, though, we make up for in comfort, capacity, and range.

I will be looking for a little larger boat in the next year or two, I only have a 17' alumaweld, little small for this. I'm experienced in Northern WA coastal waters but still learning AK.