Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: osprey conversion

Default osprey conversion

Ok--let`s pretend my inboard/out drive volvo engine and lower unit are tango uniform. Do I get a new one or do I have plaschem build an outboard frame and convert to outboards?

Default no brainer

it is easy to do and by all means you put twins on her. The bigger the better as they say!

Dipnet, I'd use a "Armstrong Bracket", if Im not mistaken Osprey used these on their factory O/B hulls. Armstrong probably has all the specs.

NS

Default conversion

NS----thanx! That is exactly what I need. Now if I can get Plaschem to to the modification, and get a couple of 225 E tech`s, I`ll be in business. Thanx again!

Or you could just drop in the 496 ci, 375 hp VP V-8 like the one in my SeaSport. Cheers!
    Tennessee

Default Price/benefit

I have an Osprey also. Last year I was thinking of ordering a new Fuel Injected Volvo small block.,completely ready to drop in.I didn't need the outdrive,but one with a new out drive included I believe was about $13K.from props to belts. This is probably about 1/2 of the price to covert yours into twins. The great benefit of OBs would be to free up the deck space from an engine box. Maintenance may be a little easier also. Everthing is just a tradeoff. Money=Space, Money=Power,Money=Happy Wife. Whats a guy to do?

Default conversion

OK--plaschem doesn`t do it. The search goes on! ( Randy-I prefer diesel on an inboard--)

Default conversion

Sound---did u go thru with it and if so where did u get it. Time act is getting close! Am not adverse to putting in a new Volvopenta D6 if I can get one up here and find someone to put it in!

Default osprey with twins

Ive got twin 225 Suz's on my 26 Osprey. It screams at top end and gets just under 2mil/gal @ 40 mph....couldnt be happier.

Ive got an Armstrong Bracket....

Thumbs up

Dipnet: Just curious how many hours your VP outdrive lasted before it gave up the ghost? Diesels usually outlast owners. If you convert to OBs you'll miss out on tripping over the engine dog box while fishing and face the challenge of what to do with that huge storage area where the engine used to be! Not to mention the joys of keeping a VP outdrive serviced. I hope I'm a long way from making the powerplant choice you're facing for our 24 Seasport. Hey, maybe you can be the first forum user to have one of those monster F350's
    Snowolfe just posted! Good luck and please keep us posted on how your conversion goes!

I ended up ordering a new engine. Got a great price and my outdrive is in good shape.What size is your Osprey? The D6 with outdrive is about $26k if you order it. If you are really interested I would call the guys at Miller Marine. I always do all the wrenching and maintenance myself, but for parts and tech questions often I will go to them. They seem to be good people and the are very familiar with Ospreys.

Default conversion

OK the truth comes out! I have a 26` Osprey which has 430 hrs on the Volvo penta KAD44. I blew something in the outdrive and took it to a place which I will not name-but will never go again. I had the outdrive redone and the next time I used it, I got 20 minutes before the thing went Tango Uniform. Pissed? Sure! I left it with Miller Marine for the winter as they wanted to re-do EVERYTHING including sandblast and paint. Two days ago, they called and said they we closing up shop in 2 weeks and haven`t completed the work. So there is my problem. I am in contact with Wilkes to consider a new D6--That boys and girls is where the saga is stalled.

Default try these guys

alaska performance rv and marine. they are good guys and know their stuff. also the one employee has info on an outboard bracket conversion. was aluminum and just bolted on. Might need reinforcement and such. can't remember the company it was with but he is going to put on his glass boat. But pretty sure they could get the motor you want do the work. My dad works there and does all the fiberglass work. if they can't help you they will tell you who can.

Sounds like pretty low hours for the outdrive to give up; usually that kind of stuff happens if a fishing line slices the prop shaft seal and water contaminates the lube/oil. I used to deckhand on a charter boat here in Hawaii that had twin 200 horse VP duoprop outdrives (30' locally made fiberglass boat---Force Marine; look them up on the web, they've got some decent boats; very fishable, cleanable, no carpet or junk like that; also they are all selfbailing decks); anyway, the charter boat I worked on clocked over 4,000 hours on the same engine/outdrive packages; the guy who owns the business is nuts about maintenance; he used to keep 2 spare outdrives on hand just to have the parts; he now runs a catamaran with twin Yanmar/Mercruiser outdrives. Key theme of this reply: MAINTENANCE (no matter what you run!), you'd be surprised how many guys never check the lower unit oil on their outboards!
    Jim

Default Osprey conversion

Quote Originally Posted by shanetrube View Post
    Ive got twin 225 Suz's on my 26 Osprey. It screams at top end and gets just under 2mil/gal @ 40 mph....couldnt be happier.

Ive got an Armstrong Bracket....
    Did someone locally (Anchorage?) do the conversion for you from inboard? I am looking to do the same with my 24' osprey. Do you recall the shaft length needed? 25" or 30"?

Marty

I was just talking to a guy yesterday who has twin KAD44s on his boat, and the 290DPs are close to $15k so when you break one ouch! I thought they were on the order of $7k (still a lot).

Either way if your boat is on a trailer the i/o will last a lot longer. If you can run on step 3000-3300 rpms the better. If your boat needs to be running at 3600 (of 3900 WOT) you are going to toast those drives.

For a recreational user, an Armstrong bracket (~$5k) and twin Merc 150s Fourstrokes ($9k ish each at BassPro) is what I'd be considering.

Sobie2

Wow, 430 hrs on the outdrive and then Tango Uniform? ...... I had 600 + hrs before I hit a rock and got salt into the DP outdrive, that was a 10k boo boo ..... Do not know who worked on your boat but I have been with SHIP in Seward for a long time and am happy with their expensive help. Matt says the GM small block's gas engines are good for about 1500 hrs and I am at about 700 hrs now, still strong. Two things I like about my present set up is 1.) low center of gravity, less rock and roll boat does not tip as much with a heavy V-8 down in the dog house, 2.) Swim platform is where I keep my big cooler and with only a DP to manuver around, catching big fish is easier. my 2 cents ..... :~) good luck!

I'm in the same boat. I bought my osprey last fall. I had a summer of out drive issues. I had to fork out 14,000 for a new outdrive plus set of new props. I like to see someone who has outboards on there osprey. Also what they paided.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I am not sure that you need a D6 in a 26 Osprey. A D4 may be more than enough. I have a D6 and love it, and it has plenty of power for me, and my boat is a 31' hull. I second the idea of talking to Matt at Seward Heavy (SHIP). I have had great experience with him. Unless you want/need the additional range of the diesel, it seems like the two real choices are outboards (better resale) or an inboard gas replacement (lower cost).
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Sometimes outdrives get "rebuilt" when they should have been trashed. It happens from time to time, and you can see the rationale (money wise). But it takes some serious attention to detail. Maybe there is a hairline crack in the gear housing, maybe a nick in in the outer seal. I/Os (per manf specs) often require a leak down test, and some shops don't do them. Who knows. Sandblasting and painting isn't a rebuild though.

I have a friend who had 3 spares on hand, and two of them were deemed un-rebuildable by two different shops. Finally, on the I/Os there are uppers and lowers and if you know your stuff you can identify which part is bad and have that rebuilt. If you can pull your own drive do it! Also grease the hell out of the u-joints with water proof grease like a trailer axle... the messier the better just in case you get a tear in the drive boot seal. Replace you zincs... I am amazed how often I see zincs that are nearly all gone.

Sobie2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast