Thread: Need a couple of manuals

Default Need a couple of manuals

I bought a 1999 300 King Quad this fall and it needs a bit of work. Thought if I started now, I might be done in a couple of years. I'm looking for an operator's/owner's manual and a maintenance/shop manual. Anybody know a place a guy can download those?

One of the problems is a hole in the front differential. Not sure what happened there. The dealer says likely it is patchable and weldable. I'd think late 1990 vintage King Quads should not be too hard to come across for spare parts. Any ideas, especially in Fairbanks? Would you patch the differential housing or find a used one to install?

The rear brake was hung up, and after the machine sat for a while the rear end would lock up tight. I finally got the drum off and think I have the cam and arm adjusted correctly now. Took a bit, but was not too hard to figure.

The rear differential, on the cap, says "10W40". I'm assuming that means the rear differential gets motor oil? If I were going to run it this winter, could I put in 5W30? And what about the engine oil? What weight is recommended? Is there a filter? Any idea where?

Thanks for all the help.
    ARR

Thanks for the help on the service manual and operating

Try this link when they get back going.

http://manuals.dqt.be/index.php?opti...afc85e8872722d

"This site is down for maintenance. "

Doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."

AKRR, Dont be suprized if those rear brakes need fixing again soon. that is a definant weak point on the King quads. I've busted a front differential once but it was on the shifter mounted section and I just replaced the shifter mount. I've always just run 10w40 in mine, but i dont run mine in the winter too much. They are terrific machines, I love the 4WD super low differential lock abilities!!

BTW, I've got a 97(?) that I'd let go pretty cheap for a parts machine. Its in rough shape, but was a good runner when put away and the front diff should be in decent enough shape...PM if you might be interested..

Default more king quad questions.

The more I look at this King Quad the more it looks like the rear differential oil and the crank case oil are one in the same. As I am still looking for a manual, is that correct?

Is there a filter in the engine? If so, where is it?

What years and models does that 99 front differential match up too? I.e. 300 King Quad and 250 Quad Runner? Years?

DK, thanks for the offer, but if I get one more piece of anything around here I'm afraid my wife is going nuclear. I thought if I could get this running and parked, then get the Sportsman I bought this summer running, I'd get brownie points. Not sure that is going to work though.

akrr, rear diff and crankcase oil are shared, amsoil atv oil 0w-40 is a great one to use especially in cold weather. Filter should be next to the oil sight glass, you can see the cap, I think it has 3 bolts and should have spring/filter/o-ring underneath. Use a 75w-90 for the front diff, any extreme pressure oil (good for differential gears) will do, but synthetic like amsoil "severe gear" is better or better yet amsoil marine 75w-90..still lubricates if some water finds its way in. I'm not positive but I'd think the early to mid-90's King Quads share the same front diff. You can drain/fill the front diff several times on 1 quart of oil.

Default thanks Buzz

Appreciate the help. I called the dealer and they said filters are only $14.00 or so. That won't break the bank. I asked about synthetics and they said if I go that route, never go back. The synthetic affects the seals. Interesting. If so, why does a truck engine not be bothered? But easy enough to do to just keep synthetic in it.
    Being as how I probably will never work it that hard, I figured synthetic 5-30 for year around use. I've used the 0-40 in my truck a long time ago, but I don't see me ever going out with a 4 wheeler colder than about 20 degrees.
    On the differential, a marine grade will work? Is that the same as outboard lower unit gear lube? I have lots of synthetic 75w90 options, and have a gallon of lower unit gear oil too. Right now, as the front differential is self draining, I'll have to leave it empty. No idea how the gears inside came apart, but am guessing that is what caused the hole in the case that a big fat shrew could climb through.
    Somebody was talking about the 250 Quad Runner and the 300 King Quad differentials being the same. I'll continue to look. E-bay had several options as cheap as $50 with everything. For that price, a guy could buy a seal and bearing set for another $80 and be pretty set up I'd guess.

I hear you. Parts machines and wifes get along together like cranberry and milk.

FWIW, if you're still looking for the filter, its located on the side of the gear box just behind the foot peg on (I believe) the recoil side. Three bolts to remove the cover and the filter element pops out. Easy as pie.

I have an idea how the front gears came apart...plowing wet heavy snow!! Been there! Who'da thunk 2 feet of wet snow would be too much for an ATV/plow setup

Default Too funny

Cranberries and milk. That is a great comparison to wives and "treasures". Too funny. Thx

I can't baaalleeeeeve that a measly 2' of wet snow would cause such damage. No waaaay!

Ok, filter comes off this weekend, new oil in, and I'll keep my eyes open for a differential. Maybe the dealer can tell me what years and models match up. Got to get that machine out of the garage to make room for more projects.