Thread: Need opinion on these inflatable sponsons

Default Need opinion on these inflatable sponsons

I'm thinking of getting these made up for my 18' square stern as I want more stability and a greater margin of safety in rougher water to prevent capsizing.

How effective do you think this system would be? Anyone have any experience with it? The tubes are about 8" diameter, and they would run the length of the canoe, 18'.
    canoetubes.jpg

That should give you some serious flotation!! I made a simpe rig for my Penobscot 17' and all they are is some 1" schedule 40 plastic pipe and two 8" x 24" inflatable boat bumpers that stick out about 20". I made them so they are in the water when we are not moving (fishing or somehting) and I can flip them over so they are out of the water when under way. Mine is stable enough to stand and move around without too much fear of an upset. Mine would not work when you are moving, but the boat is stable enough then not to worry. I like the idea of having extra flotation above the water line if that would be the case with the ones in the picture. It's hard to tell without a load. If they touch the water, it seems like there would be a lot of drag. Any idea who makes them?

A fellow in Washington makes them as a one-off - I got his number from another thread in this forum.

they would work great for a large weight/haul, if in the water when at rest, it would be great for fishing also depending on what they are made out of will depend how great they will be on small rivers/streams like the upper little sue , willow, little willow an small shoots of the Big SUE [lots of sticks to put holes in it]. but if it is tuff like what the inflatable Boats are made out of great.
    SID

Depending on the material.......I like em!. I would want them to terminate near the paddling stroke though, they would make paddling more difficult. In the event you were pushing moose meat accross large lakes with heavy waves, they would be good reassurance if you felt your canoe was overloaded and lacking free-board.