Thread: New Boots

Default New Boots

What does everyone recommend for breaking in very stiff full leather boots? What do you recommend for treatment and waterproofing?

Soak them in the bath tub then walk them till dry. no Kidding they form fit like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Soak them in the bath tub then walk them till dry. no Kidding they form fit like a glove.
    I agree. Wear wool socks when you do though.

Obenauf's for waterproofing.
    Now what ?

Agree with soaking them and walking them dry. Then I soak them in a can filled with Aviation Break In Oil. I recommend Shell brand.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Agree with soaking them and walking them dry. Then I soak them in a can filled with Aviation Break In Oil. I recommend Shell brand.
    Never herd of that one before

I've heard of people soaking boots in water then wearing them around but have never done so myself so I can't comment on that, personally I wear boots first around the house for a while before stepping foot outdoors, so that if absolutely necessary I can return them. (though I haven't had to ever do that, if you properly fitted the boots in the store you shouldn't have to return them) Then I start with short hikes and work my way up from there, always being sure to wear high quality socks with thin wicking socks to prevent blisters. Starting out slowly to break in boots is definitely the way to go, and a good pair of heavy duty leathers will easily take 20-50 or more miles of walking/hiking to properly break-in.

As for waterproofing them it depends on what you are looking for, a couple applications of himalayan bee's wax or sno-seal applied with the aid of a hair drier will make a good pair of leather's pretty much impermeable to water, but will affect negatively affect breathability. Products such as Nikwax aqueous wax or spray on silicone waterproofer will work very well too and will be more breathable, but those types of treatments seem to wash away quicker if you soak or submerge your boots, rub in traditional waxes will definitely last longer. For all type of waterproofing treatments, several lighter applications will always work better than one heavy application. When waterproofing, pay close attention to any stitching and all the areas where leather meets rubber, make sure you pop the tongue out and get all the folds of the tongue, and get all around the eyelets, as these are all places that are commonly missed that can allow water seepage.

One more thing, if your boots are something like La Sportiva's or other silicone impregnated perwanger leather's, it seems to work best to stick with a silicone waterproofing treatment similar to what the boots are factory proofed with.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post

I have and used Mobil Jet II

But I'm an airplane mechanic and it wasn't intentional

Roland and Steve told you all you have to do. Both of those work perfectly.

The aviation trick is a new one to me also.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Break in oil is Straight Up Mineral Oil. Works great.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I broke in my last set by wearing it on a boat ride. I beached the boat 9 miles from the truck on a braid in the river with no recovery gear (doh). I walked out with a couple waist deep channel crossings. 3 years late and I have still never had a blister from those boots.