Thread: vt2 or vxp

Default vt2 or vxp

alright guys im gona go pick up a new fly fod here in the next day or 2 what would you guys buy between these two and why its going to be a 5wt. 9ft. 4pc

I really dislike the soft tip in the VT2. It collapses when you load it with larger flies or longer casts, and it just "disappears" when you fight fish with it. The front 18" or so goes absolutely flat before you get back into the bend under pressure. It's fine for medium-long casts with just the right line, but I gave mine away to my son-in-law. As a matter of fact, on his last visit I noticed he never pulled it out of the case, using other rods instead. I bet that's his vote too.

No experience with the VXP, but folks I know and trust like it a lot better than the VT2, having the same dislikes I do for the VT2. These guys are long-time Montana trout guides, and two are Sage dealers with their own shops now.

Used a VT2 for most the spring/summer for flippin beads and I liked it a lot. I found the soft tip came in handy when it came to mending or making small roll casts back up stream. I could see how tossin' bigger flies would be difficult, I wouldn't suspect since its going to be a 5WT that your chasing anything too big. Like brown bear said, anything in the short to medium casting range I think would be perfect, I did toss some leeches and flesh with one a few weeks ago and it seemed to cast far fine to me, they weren't the huge weighted articulated flies by any means though. A buddy had a VXP ( I think, I could be wrong) and he had the new indicator line on it and he loved it, it was a 6 or 7wt he used on the Kenai this year, made casting and catching fish look easy, that new indicator line cast nice and easy, mends real well too. Overall I like it a lot, I bought my g/f one and I use it whenever she isnt using it , no experience with the VXP though.

On a side note, the soft tip also allows you to use a much heavier rod, like a 7wt for smaller streams, you can still really feel the hits on it. My g/f used hers (7WT) at Quartz and out in the valley all year.

The smart shopper would go to a place that had both rods, get them both lined up with the same lines, leaders, and yarnies, then cast the side-by-side and decide which one they liked.

If you ask for opinions, you get opinions - Opinions about rods, as one may imagine, are highly subjective affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    The smart shopper would go to a place that had both rods, get them both lined up with the same lines, leaders, and yarnies, then cast the side-by-side and decide which one they liked.

If you ask for opinions, you get opinions - Opinions about rods, as one may imagine, are highly subjective affairs.
    Amen to that. Also try several lines on each. Same rod different lines can change the picture a lot. You might save a few nickels ordering even after paying shipping, but then you're stuck if the rod's not for you. You might save a few nickels in a big box store, but if you can't cast the rods, you're stuck. Even smaller stores, if they won't let you cast, keep on walking.

thanks guys it will be for greyling and i will probly use it on clear creek to we only have one sage dealer in town so will see if they will let me try them out.

I picked up a vt2 this fall and so far like it. The reason I went with it is I got a great deal on it. I was told they arent making them anymore.

yea i fished with one last summer felt kinda weird but after fishing it for a while it felt great lots of places have sales on them right now but i havent checked out a vxp yet so will see i think you can pick up a vt2 now for about $340 and the vxp is going for $495

I have a Vt2 and like it. I've had it for about 3 years now, unfortunately I broke it on my first Upper Kenai trip last fall. Have to send it in for warranty, bummer. I've got to find the warranty card...but the Vxp looks pretty sweet. I need to get out and try an 8 weight, I'm in the market for one.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    I have a Vt2 and like it. I've had it for about 3 years now, unfortunately I broke it on my first Upper Kenai trip last fall. Have to send it in for warranty, bummer. I've got to find the warranty card...but the Vxp looks pretty sweet. I need to get out and try an 8 weight, I'm in the market for one.

Fish On!
    I wouldn't worry....I don't think Sage cares at the moment if and who their rods are registered to - I register some, not others; they seem to fix any factory (but not custom) rod for $50 bux - and provide blanks for broken custom pieces (also $50 bux). If I were you, I would send it in before they stiffen up on their warranty.

A buddy of mine lent me his VT2 7wt for the reds this year and I loved it! It was very sensitive and I felt every bump of the river rock as well as the quick resistance of the Red with the fly in it's mouth. I had to have one and he got me one before I left for home. $340 was a smoking deal and I can't wait to use it on the next Red run!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    A buddy of mine lent me his VT2 7wt for the reds this year and I loved it! It was very sensitive and I felt every bump of the river rock as well as the quick resistance of the Red with the fly in it's mouth. I had to have one and he got me one before I left for home. $340 was a smoking deal and I can't wait to use it on the next Red run!
    Geeez who did that John????? LOL. I have both rods. VT in a 7 VPX in a 7. Both rods work very well for me. I still think the VT is a bit faster action. Mine took a beating this summer. Tons of reds and silvers caught on it and it never missed a beat. Got my VPX in late summer. Casting is a bit different. A bit stiffer and later to load. Still, I caught some nice fish on it. Waiting to see how it works with some hog reds on crack on it next summer. Either way you cant go wrong but I have to say this. I still prefer my VT on days with wind or in slow moving water. Just a better feel to me so far.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Isn't your VXP a 6wt Chuck?
    "The Tug is the Drug"