Thread: Day one in Cordova

Default Day one in Cordova

This morning was the first hunt of my trip here in Alaska. I told Squatty420 I was going to a walk in widgeon hole just off the highway. The day I got here there were about 200 widgeon on this pond with a few pintails and mallards. The nasty weather held in and I headed out this morning with the wife and my seven year old to see what we could do. We parked the truck and walked to the pond about 500yds or so from the black top. We got into position at about 7:55am which only left me four minutes to put the decoys out before shooting time started. Birds were flying around the pond everywhere which left me kind of frantic to get set up. Within seconds of shooting time I had the first widgeon on the water. The winds were blowing around 30mph this morning and the only place I could set up with the seven year old in knee boots left us with the wind right in our face. We made the best of it but that gail really played hell on my shooting this morning. It took me right at a box of shells to kill the limit and we were done by 9:45am. We had flocks of 30 or so work all morning but only a few came in with the landing gear down. Most were passing shots. Everything seemed to be widgeon this morning. We saw four mallards and a handful of pintails but none of them offered a shot. On to the pics!!

My wifes first time in waders coming out to help me wrap up the decoys.

Loaded down and ready to hike back to the truck with the mornings bag.

AWESOME!!!!

not much more to say. Great family times
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

awesome job, good to see the family enjoying it with you as well!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Thats a good ol strap for a seven year old to carry way to go, glad to see you made it back to Cordova love seeing your pics while your there always great.

Great stuff. I can't wait to take the kids for the first time. The winds in Cordova can be shifty. Waldo2382 and I hunted in a hard blow last year, killed limits but it was windy and raining. I will be down there December 11-16 for the end of season. I wish I could have made it over this week to meet you and your family.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge