Thread: Helmets

Default Helmets

I have a Scorpion modular motorcycle helmet and they offer conversion kits to make them ready for the snow. The first is just a double pane visor with the breath cup. The second kind is an electric visor that you plug into your auxillary outlet on the sled. Has anyone used either one of these? How did they work. I don't think I like the idea of a wire hanging off of me while I ride.

Thanks for the input.

Seasport,
    We run electric helmets made by Polaris. They work great.
    The cord is attached up by the left ear on the helmet. From there it hangs down and attches to a plug by the center of the handlebars with a quick disconnect plug in between. To get off you simply pull the plug connection hanging at your chest, reverse to board and take off.
    Ours do not fog and it keeps the wind out of your helmet/face. Very warm setup.
    I'd recommend them.
    A converted motorcycle helmet might be a different scenario though. I had a friend that used the double layered visor and it sucked.
    BK

Thanks for the info BKmail. I was told by the dealer that the electric worked better than the double visor style. But I wanted to make sure he was not just trying to up-sell me to the more expensive item. Do you remember what you paid for the Polaris helmet?

We run GMax helmets with electric visor. This is after trying several others means. About $300 to setup. I got mine from the Yamaha dealer in Wasilla. My son ordered his online.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    We run GMax helmets with electric visor. This is after trying several others means. About $300 to setup. I got mine from the Yamaha dealer in Wasilla. My son ordered his online.
    Any other brands to look at for electric visors and local retailers? I've been wearing a helmet without a visor and using goggles, and over all I like that better. However, I've gotten frost bite on my upper cheeks (just below the goggles) several times now and I think a visor might be the way to go when it is really cold. A regular visor just fogs up too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Any other brands to look at for electric visors and local retailers? I've been wearing a helmet without a visor and using goggles, and over all I like that better. However, I've gotten frost bite on my upper cheeks (just below the goggles) several times now and I think a visor might be the way to go when it is really cold. A regular visor just fogs up too much for me.
    Buy your helmet large enough for a headsock. The Gmax helmets have venting for those hot days and you can always open the visor a bit. Some people use duct tape where you are getting frost bit. I prefer a full faced helmet myself.

I have also seen somewhere a plastic piece to fit helmets that goes in between the goggles and helmet. Supposed to keep the froistbite issue to a minimum.
    I am thinking about gettin an electric visor this year also as there is a hookup for it on my new sled. I am not sure I want to buy a whole new helmet though my modular helmet retailed for over $300.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

My new sled has an outlet for an electric visor, so I was going to buy on for my BRP Modular 2 helmet. I ended up buying a new BRP Vision 180 helmet instead, because the introductory price for the helmet w/ electric visor -- $199, wasn't much more than the visor itself -- $169, and it gives me another option. I obviously haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, but I like the fit and it has room for glasses. The guys I ride with that use electric visors swear buy them.

HPAK had the Polaris helmet w/electric visor for around $200- at the end of the season about 4 years ago.
    Last year I bought a new visor to rerplace the original as it was getting a bit scratched and it ran $100-.
    My wife picked hers up (helmet w/visor) at a show in Anchorage around the same time (G-Max) for about $79_. We recently bought her a new visor as well and it was around $75- or so.
    I would recommend the G-Max model to save a little $ as they both work equally well.
    BK

I wear a $70 Polaris MX style helmet with a $15 (thin fleece--6th Ave Outfitters) headsock, a $30 set of basic double-lens winter goggles, and a $50 No-Fog neoprene mask.

I never fog and I'm comfortable down to minus 30-35ish
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I think if you are going to ride with a modular, a heated visor is a must. Everyone I know has switched to open face helmets and goggles because modulars fog and then ice up. A heated visor would prevent that.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

i ride with a BRP BV2S when its really reallly cold.. and a open face with google dirt bike helmet when its above 20f
    Semper Fi!