Thread: .300 Win mag.... IMR 4831 vs RL22 vs VihtaVuori Oy powders???

Default .300 Win mag.... IMR 4831 vs RL22 vs VihtaVuori Oy powders???

My Win model 70, .300 Mag shot Barnes TSX 180 grain boat tails wildly and all over the place with IMR 4350 and 4831. Barnes suggested the 200 grain TSX Flatbase and it shoots them very accurately. I've been using 66.5 grains of IMR 4831. However, a Safari hunter recommended RL 22 and says he finds it cleaner and more accurate. Another handloader said he liked VihtaVuori Oy powder and it gave him better performance (I do not remember which, probably N160 or N165).

After seeing the effects of Barnes on a lot of animals, I want to stick with them. Can anyone else tell me their results with VihtaVuori Oy or RL 22 powder? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    My Win model 70, .300 Mag shot Barnes TSX 180 grain boat tails wildly and all over the place with IMR 4350 and 4831. Barnes suggested the 200 grain TSX Flatbase and it shoots them very accurately. I've been using 66.5 grains of IMR 4831. However, a Safari hunter recommended RL 22 and says he finds it cleaner and more accurate. Another handloader said he liked VihtaVuori Oy powder and it gave him better performance (I do not remember which, probably N160 or N165).

After seeing the effects of Barnes on a lot of animals, I want to stick with them. Can anyone else tell me their results with VihtaVuori Oy or RL 22 powder? Thanks.
    I'd guess your accuracy problem is unlikely due to IMR 4350/4831. I've shot copious amounts of both in 300 WM with great accuracy. That is not to say that there are not other suitable powders, H4831 & RL22 jump to mind, but that you'll almost certainly find your biggest gains in accuracy elsewhere since you are using very fitting propellants. IME Barnes bullets can be temperamental concerning OAL. In fact, when developing accurate ammo, OAL is among my primary considerations regardless the make of the bullet.

To answer your question. I've shot RL 22 in several 300 WM with good success. I've not gotten as high a velocity using RL 22 as I have with IMR 4831, but I must confess I've only worked with 24 inch barrels. Different barrels will almost certainly show different results. My access to Vihtavuori powders is very limited and my success with other propellants has been such that I've not needed to experiment.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My model 70 Win .300 bore was very clean, screws all tight, etc... It just flat would not shoot the Barnes 180 grain TSX worth a flip. Barnes said some rifles just will not shoot some bullets. I tried two powders (IMR 4831 and 4350) different loads of powder, primers and set back 20 to 50 thousands. No help...
    I was discouraged and wanted to change rings then the scope. Barnes talked me into the 200 grain FB TSX. Whoa! all in 3/4 inch at 100 yds. I'm sticking with that bullet in that rifle. Just wondering about the RL 22 and VihtaVuori and if anyone found it better than IMR 4831.

hap

I must agree with 1Cor... after many years with lots of 300WM in many different rifles I have found IMR4831 to be my favorite powder. I have a 700 that doted on the 180 X bullets for several years and suddenly decided it hated them... a literal 1/4" rifle would not keep them on a stop sign (no, I didn't really try!) at 100 yards. That same rifle will still deliver incredible accuracy with any number of other bullets.

Two pimary points in my experience... Neck tension, perhaps because the 300WM neck is a bit short, is critical and I do not use an expander buttom...

Primers are key to getting uniform velocities and I use either WW or Rem magnum primers. CCI primers, especially magnums have never showed me nice uniform velocities...
    art

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Can anyone else tell me their results with VihtaVuori Oy or RL 22 powder? Thanks.
    I've burned a fair amount of RL22 and N165, but not in a .300 Win Mag. I run them in my .280AI and .25-284, with good results.

I've run RL19 in the .300 Win Mag, and a friend's favorite powder for his .300 is N160.

I saw your recovered TSX's in your other thread. It's a shame that your gun doesn't care for the 180gr version. Just out of curiosity, have you tried the 165 or 168-grainers? I would easily use them for moose & bear out of .300 Win Mag. They might be another option for you, as well.

I'm starting to think that I'll just leave a good thing alone and keep using the 200 grain TSX and 4831 in the .300 Win for large critters, and use the .308 or 30-06 with a 150, 165 or 168 Barnes for deer. Maybe I'll eventry a little softer bullet.

rifleshooter,
    I played a lot with a win 70 in 300wmag the past year for a moose hunt and tried the 180 TTSX bullets. Used a ton of 4350 and 4831 and shot the Nosler 180 Partitions along with the 200gn Partitions. I was not getting the groups I wanted from the Barnes until some forum members suggested using a crimp die - so I bought a Lee 30 and with a bit of trial and error I did tighten the groups up on the Barnes to about a 1in avg. The Nosler 200's finally won my nod as they were more consistent, nothing against the Barnes but I found them to be a bit finicky in my win 70.
    I think you are correct, if the 200's are shooting great for you why mess with success!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My 300 win mag really likes the 200 grain Nosler partitions and the 200 grain Barnes flat base as well.
    I have had very good luck with H-1000 powder. While I have some very nice and accurate loads with H4831, RL-25 and RL22 , I find that they tend to change accuracy and velocity with extreme temperature changes. But H-1000 does not change at all from 30 below to 80 above. (it was designed for extreme temp changes) Plus it seems to show reduced pressure signs for the same velocity.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I do not own a .300WM but I do own and shoot a .338WM. When I was developing handloads for it I tried IMR4831 with good results, then I went to H4831 with better results, then VVO even better results though the cost and availability, or lack thereof dissuaded me from using VVO.

Then one day while looking for even better accuracy, ( I demand sub MOA from all of my rifles just cause I am that way )I was flipping through my Barnes No.1 manual and noticed a load with RL22, I assembled some rounds with 225grn Hornady Interlocks ( I use them for load developement because my rifle shoots them to the same POI as Partitions ), the results were were sub MOA all day long and usually sub 3/4" at 100 yards with a 1.5x5 Leupold VXIII heavy duplex for sights. I am sure a higher power, finer reticle would improve the grouping even more. Needless to say I think RL22 is a great powder for large capacity cases based on my rifle.

I also have the same/similar results using RL19 for .280Rem handloads,. These 2 examples made me a fan of RL powders but, IMR makes some great, consistant and reliable propellents for sure, my favorite .30-06' really likes them.

I've been working with R22 for both my 300's. have moved around from I4831,I4350,H4831. The 300 H&H seems to like the R22 and the 300 Winny is about the same with Either R22 and I4831. Will Be shooting the test loads through Chrony this week and will no more. My bullet of choice has been the Hornaday 190 gr Interlock.

Hey 338, I would like to know what your .280 loads are with the RL19 if you don't mind sharing?
    Gonna work up some loads this winter for my Ruger77R 280. Leaning toward the Nosler139gn bullet...
    Thanks
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

IMR4350 works great in my 300Win mag here are some five shot groups

208gr IMR4350 at 2755fps

165gr IMR4350 at 3228fps

180gr IMR4350 at 3094fps

180gr IMR4350 at 3108fps
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

One other 208gr load

208gr IMR4350 at 2818fps
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS: