Thread: 2 recovered Barnes TSX

Default 2 recovered Barnes TSX

I know that it is rare, but I recovered 2 Barnes TSX bullets from shot animals. Would particulars and pics be best in this shooting forum or hunting or handloading forums?

Put them right here. If the moderators don't like them they will move them.

Recovered bullets are at home in hand loading, shooting and hunting. They go hand in hand...

Post them up. What are the particulars? (cartridge, distance, velocity) The TSX has proved to be an excellent bullet for me.

For what its worth: I recovered a 250 gr. Barnes Triple Shock X this year from a bull moose that my wife shot between the eyes (12 steps) with a .338 and handloads. I recovered the bullet. It had passed clear through the skull, shattered the axis and was right up against the next (second) cervical vertebra. One "pedal" was knocked off on its journey and it now weighs 229 gr (just under 92% retained mass).

Incidentally, in 2002 she shot a bull between the eyes with a 30-06 at 80 steps with a 250 gr. Nossler bullet in a Federal factory load. I recovered that bullet... sort of...all I found was a divot in the bone, filled with gray power; the bullet was completely fragmented (anymore so, and it it would have vaporized). It did NOT penetrate the skull, although the bull dropped like a sack of mud.

Not much of a sample size, I know. Although we have shot sheep, caribou and moose with the Barnes bullets, we have not found any other bullets.

IMG_0992.jpgrecovered....IMG_0993.jpg

2 ea. Barnes 200 grain FB TSX (old style, not blue polymer tipped), .30 Cal from .300 Win. 66.5 grains of IMR 4831, Fed 215, col=3.340
    Left bullet performed perfectly on an SCI gold medal Blue Wildebeest last week. First shot (not recovered) went thru both shoulders a little low from 237 yds according to range finder. Second shot missed while running, third shot was quartering at 358 yds, went thru ribs and traveled 37 inches to lodge in opposite shoulder(recovered on left).

Bullet on right struck a blesbok at 40 yds head on in the chest (directly facing me) and was recovered in the buttocks hide, traveled the full body length. One petal is missing. I wish that I had a spare new bullet to show comparison, they are very long looking. I love these bullets for big game, but think that they may be a little too hard of a bullet for deer.
    The effects of all shots were incredible. I once shot a brown bear with the same load and it looked like you hit a volkswagen size piece of jello with a boat paddle, I could see the shock wave and it lifted the bear up from all fours and spun him around and he fell dead like all others. The bullets are very humane. I'll see if I can put a few videos on this post.

Cool...good bullets for sure.

I wish I could find my 300gr .375 TSX from my cape buffalo. Talk about picture perfect. 100% weight retention!

Brett

rifleshooter, your bullets look a lot like mine.

Here's a .375/270gr TSX I recovered from a brown bear:

Here are two 7mm/120gr TSX's recovered from last year's moose:

The TSX's I shot at blacktail deer and black bear were never recovered. They just left the dead critters behind.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I love these bullets for big game, but think that they may be a little too hard of a bullet for deer.
    Oh, and I wouldn't worry about shooting the TSX's for deer. I don't know that their .30cal, 200-grainer would be my first choice, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the 165 or 168's (or even lighter) at 'em.

[QUOTE=topcat;831269]Incidentally, in 2002 she shot a bull between the eyes with a 30-06 at 80 steps with a 250 gr. Nossler bullet in a Federal factory load. QUOTE]

Where did you buy a Federal factory load in 30-06 with a 250 grain Nosler bullet of any type. Their web site only shows they load 180 grain as the heaviest bullet for that caliber.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default regarding boliep's message

You are correct, I just dug the box out, it says right on it "180 gr" and "High Energy" 30-06... (sorry, my memory isn't as good as it use to be, also my memory isn't what it use to be).

Is the Barnes TSX 270 gr 375 your main load for brown bear? I'm working up a load for my 375 Ruger now. I'm looking at 75 or 76 gr of RL15 but waiting to shoot it across my chrony...that load worked well with the 260 gr Accubond. I think I like the Barnes better than the Accubond...Nosler partitions would be good too.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    Is the Barnes TSX 270 gr 375 your main load for brown bear?
    I'm assuming you're asking me.

Yes, the 270gr TSX is my bullet of choice for the .375H&H. I'm running 72.5gr of RL15 in the H&H case, with Fed 215 primers. Unfortunately, I don't have any chronograph numbers for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    Is the Barnes TSX 270 gr 375 your main load for brown bear? I'm working up a load for my 375 Ruger now. I'm looking at 75 or 76 gr of RL15 but waiting to shoot it across my chrony...that load worked well with the 260 gr Accubond. I think I like the Barnes better than the Accubond...Nosler partitions would be good too.

Silver Tip
    Sivertip,

These are from my notes on the combination you are suggesting.

375 Ruger / Barnes 270gr TSX test results:

RL-15
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Barnes TSX 270gr
    COL 3.313

72.9gr 2661 avg
    73.2gr 2687 avg, 26fps increase
    73.5gr 2712 avg, 25fps increase, Barnes published max charge?
    73.8gr 2739 avg, 27fps increase, nice group
    74.1gr 2762 avg, 23fps increase, nice group
    74.4gr 2787 avg, 25fps increase
    74.7gr 2803 avg, 16fps increase, primer showing pressure, a little drag on bolt lift, case head measured OK.

Final load:
    74.0gr RL-15
    Brass 2.571
    CCI 250
    COL 3.313
    2756fps

Personally, I feel that the Barnes book data is flawed on the 375 Ruger. Comparisons between the 375H&H and the 375 Ruger with other manuals versus the Barnes book tend to agree.

I also feel that your load of 75 plus grains of RL-15 is to hot with the 270gr TSX. As you may have already noticed by my results the load with 74.7gr of powder dropped in gained velocity indicating a loss of efficiency. It also presented a stiff bolt lift so I backed off.

Your results and techniques may be different but I would suggest starting with a lower charge and working up to your final load.

Being in Arizona I've had the opportunity to test in winter and summer with large temperature swings. I've found that RL-15 varies quite a bit with temperatures. If you develop a max load in the winter be careful shooting that load in the summer.

Cheers,